What's new

Cheyenne . . . Cheyenne . . . will be camping in your DVD player! (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Quite frankly, I'm shocked at this announcement . . . I thought for sure that the 3-episode "Television Favorites" would be it for "Cheyenne." I say this because I did not see the "Cheyenne" DVD at even one brick & mortar store when it first came out, and I ended up ordering mine from DeepDiscountDVD. And the only brick & mortar store that I found the "Maverick" DVD was at, of all places, Wal-Mart. Hopefully, we'll hear similar good news for "Maverick" in the near future. With this announcement and season 3 of "Have Gun Will Travel" and the "Gunsmoke" "Best of" sets being released in January, it appears that television Westerns are alive and well, at least on DVD.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I was pleasantly surprised by this announcement as well. I also ordered from DDdvd when I failed to find "Cheyenne" at my local outlets. My wife will be pleased about this. If she were here right now, her first question would be "Just how many times does the shirt come off in the first season, by the way?"

Great news--it may open the door for shows like "Wagon Train", "The High Chapparal" and "Rawhide".

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Great news about Cheyenne . When this show was first broadcast it was not on every week. It alternated with other shows such as Sugarfoot and Bronco. The seasons consisted of 13 to 20 shows per season. There were 108 episodes over 7 years.

Interesting fact is that during the run of the show Clint Walker walked out over a dispute about salary and personal appearence fees . During his walkout he was replaced by Bronco but they continued to call the program the Cheyenne show . When the dispute was resolved and Walker returned, Bronco got his own program .

I hope there will be season sets of Maverick, which was released as a best of disk the same day as Cheyenne, soon.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
This is another of those 50's/early 60's westerns that I'd forgotton about until this thread. Thanks :D I remember watching this one in reruns around '65 with my Dad. It was one of his favorites. I'll buy a full release for sure. I'm glad that some out there bought the limited set so that a full release would be considered.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
It will be interesting to see how they do this. The first season, Cheyenne was part of a rotating umbrella under the Warner Brothers Presents banner. These shows, while in an hour time slot, only ran between 35 and 42 minutes and the rest of the hour was filled with WB promotional films. So the first season only consisted of 15 shows, all running much shorter than the 50 minute shows of the era.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Perhaps, Warner could throw in an episode or two of the other rotating shows and/or some of the other promotional material as a bonus. Of greater interest to me, however, would be either interview material and/or episode commentaries with the star of "Cheyenne," Clint Walker. Mr. Walker is still going strong these days and even has his own web site:
http://www.clintwalker.com

Charles H

Screenwriter
Can "Maverick" be far behind? James Garner appears in two or three of CHEYENNE's first season episodes. Nice that Clint Walker is participating in the CHEYENNE dvd, but I'm a little surprised that he's not doing anything for THE DIRTY DOZEN: SE.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'll surely pick this up. Although "Cheyenne" was sometimes a tad more dated than some other western shows that followed in its wake (these are 1955-56, after all), I still liked it. Mainly due to Clint Walker, and his low-key manner, which I always found rather winning. Plus, the series was usually chock full of good, old-time character actors as well. Hope the set does well, and usher in more WB series (including their detective shows).

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Here's hoping that this will lead to additional seasons of MAVERICK being released. I have really enjoyed the first season set!!
And, yep!, will be adding this Cheyenne season to the collection as well.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Maverick and Cheyenne are two of the best TV westerns out there. I always feel I'm watching a B Movie Western when watching these more than a TV show. The quality is that good. I Will definately be getting Cheyenne soon and hope for more Maverick as well.

Season 5 out next Tuesday, March 5. http://www.wbshop.com/product/cheyenne+the+complete+fifth+season+1000383809.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks