Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Michael Mann's MIAMI VICE (merged)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#41 of 406 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 04:14 PM

As a massive fan of Heat and Collateral, I already know I'll love this film. Saw the trailer in front of King Kong. Posted Image

#42 of 406 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 04:34 PM

[rant]"Come see these two faces!"[/rant]

Posted Image

I just love these face only covers. This isn't even the dvd, yet!

Oh yeah, there is a little Miami Vice mixed in with Farrell and Foxx.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#43 of 406 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,005 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted December 17 2005 - 03:45 AM

The shot of them in the car would have made an awesome poster. But I'm a fan of the show and will definitely see this. The synopsis actually makes it sound intriguing and I want to see how it plays out. Gong Li as Cuban-Chinese? Interesting. -

#44 of 406 OFFLINE   Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 07:45 AM

That poster sucks. I am flat out sick and tired of FACE posters. They tell me nothing about the movie at all.
Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!

#45 of 406 OFFLINE   Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 08:57 AM

Its Miami Vice, if you have seen the show, you know it is about drugs, women, fast cars and a partnership, what else do you need to know about the movie? Those two faces will help sell the movie to people who aren't fans of the series. I think the die hards they know they already have so its a good way to draw in new people.

#46 of 406 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 01:14 PM

It's just a teaser poster anyway.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#47 of 406 OFFLINE   Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 09:40 PM

[quote]

Jason, as I'm sure you know, Michael Mann is most definitely NOT Michael Bay. There won't be rat-screwing jokes or embalmed bodies flying around in the streets.

[quote]

I most certanly am aware of that. Granted those two things were very OTT, but I've always thought that Michael Bay always got a bum rap. He fills the niche of loud dumb enjoyable action movies...I don't think he should be killed for that.

I'm sure that Miami Vice will be great, but I'm not quite a fan of the video-ey look of Collateral...I much like the crispness of the Star Wars Episode 3 videography.

#48 of 406 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 10:27 PM

Mann isn't well served by the vertical poster format. If it were me, I'd get some skyscrapers and palm trees in there.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#49 of 406 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted December 17 2005 - 10:48 PM

Exactly. The word Don Johnson used to describe Vice was "Nihilism".

#50 of 406 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted December 18 2005 - 01:57 PM

Jason, thanks for clarifying your position. I'm glad you don't mind Michael Bay. He is a great guilty pleasure of mine. Although in my mind he does not approach Michael Mann (esp in terms of content), he can sure as hell frame a shot. The Island is a beautiful, beautiful film to look at. As a side note, Mann is one of Bay's biggest heroes. Regards, Nathan
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#51 of 406 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 01:47 PM

Michael Mann is a blind buy at the theaters for me. I have yet to be disappointed, even with subject matter I am not all that interested in (Ali), he is a gifted director and forces his audience to be attentive. I would say "rewards" his audience for being attentive.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#52 of 406 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,637 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 03:25 PM

Yet another big screen rehash of a TV series. Many people (including me) are tired of it, but judging from this thread, Hollywood has reason to think it's fine to keep doing it.

#53 of 406 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,059 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted December 19 2005 - 03:48 PM

Well, Robert, it was a Michael Mann TV show, and now it's a Michael Mann movie. So, the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. I'll gladly take the blame for another Michael Mann film, Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#54 of 406 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 03:53 PM

Exactly. If this was a 'Dukes of Hazzard' type rehash (and lets face it, material as dated as 'Miami Vice' is ripe for it) then I'd see RobertR's point. But an update to the series from the guy who not only created it but has since gone on to have an incredible track record with this type of material? Count me in.

#55 of 406 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 04:01 PM

"Yet another big screen rehash of a TV series. Many people (including me) are tired of it, but judging from this thread, Hollywood has reason to think it's fine to keep doing it." Yea I wouldnt lump this in with other stuff like Dukes,Bewitched,Starsky & Hutch or whatever. Im hoping its great.

#56 of 406 OFFLINE   Derek H

Derek H

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 19 2005 - 09:02 PM

All I gotta say is that they better be driving a Ferrari any other car would be just wrong.

#57 of 406 OFFLINE   Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted December 20 2005 - 08:08 AM

[quote]

Yet another big screen rehash of a TV series.

[quote]

It is interesting that this, or the idea that Miami Vice will be some sort of camp remake of the TV series, seems to be a knee-jerk reaction of a lot of people. (Not so much at HTF, but out in "John Q. Public")

I know that I'm mostly preaching to the choir, but this is a Michael Mann picture, people. Posted Image

If you think it will some lousy, remake, camp-fest, may I suggest you immediatly watch:

>Heat

>Collateral

Then, for good measure, watch:

>The Insider

>Ali

>Last of the Mohicans

>Manhunter

Like others, I'm a HUGE Michael Mann fan... his visual style and storytelling technique, especially when it comes to gritty, urban tales (see, of course, Heat and Collateral) is truly unique.

Can't wait for Miami Vice! Posted Image

“Do I really look like a man with a plan, Harvey? I don’t have a plan. The mob has plans, the cops have plans. You know what I am, Harvey? I’m a dog chasing cars. I wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one. I just do things. I’m a wrench in the gears. I hate plans. Yours, theirs,...

#58 of 406 OFFLINE   Mike.P

Mike.P

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted December 22 2005 - 10:52 AM

When I first saw the trailer, I rolled my eyes at the idea of another remake.

But with such quality names attached to the product, I can't help but be intrigued.

Will also be nice to see many of the landmarks from the town I'm next to when at school Posted Image.

#59 of 406 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,653 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 22 2005 - 12:00 PM

I don't think of this as another in the long line of crappy remakes from Hollywood, since Mann is elite and this was always his baby. But, the nightmares on the shoot certainly have me worried.

#60 of 406 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted December 22 2005 - 01:35 PM

Here's what I'm saying: I Is Michael Mann a great director...yes. Did he create the original series and direct that...yes. Will he get the mood and tone right....yes. But none of that is the point. Miami vice is Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs fighting crime in the seedy yet glamorous Miami of the early 80's. While this project has a lot of things going for it, it is not set in this Miami with actors who fit the characters that did it first and in my opinion best. Sometimes lightning strikes only once and you can't catch in a bottle as Hollywood is wont to do. Lots of remakes are good movies, some even great and I think Michael Mann will make a good movie but it won't be Miami Vice to me.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users