Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Michael Mann's MIAMI VICE (merged)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#21 of 406 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 11:37 AM

Personally, I think this looks outstanding on all fronts. You know it's Mann the minute that helicopter shot comes on and we hear that dialogue, which is something that could only come out of a Mann character's mouth. The sense of atmosphere is palpable. He can do "cool" like no one else.

[quote]

That trailer looks A LOT like Bad Boys 2...deux.

[quote]

Jason, as I'm sure you know, Michael Mann is most definitely NOT Michael Bay. There won't be rat-screwing jokes or embalmed bodies flying around in the streets.

What the trailer doesn't clearly state, is whether Mann is going to retain the happy/upbeat atmosphere of the show, or go with the introspective/melancholy approach that was pervasive in Heat and Collateral. I would personally prefer the latter.

Regards,

Nathan
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#22 of 406 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 12:58 PM

I beg to differ, while some of Miami Vice was upbeat the majority of the show was about as downbeat as you can get. It was the first show I remember that almost always ended negatively.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#23 of 406 OFFLINE   Paul Case

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 02:47 PM

Thumbs up on this. Looks like another fine movie from one of my favorite filmmakers. Miami Vice was a favorite show of mine as a kid, and this looks like a great update. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

#24 of 406 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 04:42 PM

Must be the worst designed site ever. Tried to download the trailer and couldn't reach to it easily, so I didn't try any further.

#25 of 406 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,302 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 13 2005 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, having BMW host a trailer is one thing. Having a site that requires you to enter your birthdate and be over 21 is just piss-poor strategy. They're denying themselves a whole market of underage people who are too dumb to lie when it asks.

#26 of 406 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 09:28 PM

I'd pretty much watch Michael Mann with a camcorder running around filming jaywalkers so it's no surprise that I'm totally hyped to see this flick. I was a big fan of the TV show and it's comforting that he's at the helm for for this movie version. Also, it doesn't hurt that they'll be cruising around Miami in a brand new Ferrari F430 Spyder. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#27 of 406 OFFLINE   BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 10:23 PM

I guess Mann must have decided he really likes using digital video. I guess I would have liked to see this made on film, but I loved Collateral, so I'm sure this will turn out just fine. I actually had no idea they were making this until I saw this thread.

#28 of 406 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 11:03 PM

The series aspired to be more than the writing and budget allowed. It was always downbeat but it didn't have the depth to justify it. The movie will rectify that. The music and lack of 80's clothes are the only non-MV things about the trailer. The car shot is a quote (a beautiful one thanks to video), and the speedboat behind the credits is a reference to the series' credits, I think. (And Bacardi wants to sell Bacardi. They don't care who sees the trailer. Their exclusive is over anyway.) Edit: Just watched it again. I love that a moment of silence is given for that gorgeous car shot I can't stop talking about.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#29 of 406 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 11:21 PM

Steve, I know what you mean. That just FEELS like the show and I can't wait to see Mann's visual style all over this film. This may be the film I'm looking most forward to next summer.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#30 of 406 OFFLINE   Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted December 14 2005 - 03:00 AM

Hopefully the finale of MV is better than the Colletral one!

#31 of 406 OFFLINE   Dennis*G

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted December 14 2005 - 08:08 AM

tossed on this one. Not sure what I think of the trailer, but Ferrel? I just can't see liking that.

#32 of 406 OFFLINE   Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted December 15 2005 - 02:58 PM

I cannot stand Collin Ferrel. I hate the guy. All 4 foot 3 inches of him. But MM writing and directing means I have see the film. I just hope and pray this film is not PG-13.
Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!

#33 of 406 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted December 15 2005 - 07:56 PM

All films thus far in Michael Mann's career are rated R. So no worries there, I hope.
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#34 of 406 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 06:41 AM

I knew Sonny Crockett, Sonny Crockett was a friend of mine and Colin Ferrel is no Sonny Crockett.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#35 of 406 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 11:24 AM

Actually Im a bit disappointed with Tubbs.I was hoping JF would be sporting a cooler look - short dreads or something less "plain"

#36 of 406 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 01:20 PM

everyone in the theater I was in laughed and scoffed at the idea and some booed. I don't think this will do well. It is just too.....cheesey. And I loved Miami Vice growing up.
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#37 of 406 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 997 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 02:47 PM

The official poster...

Posted Image

#38 of 406 OFFLINE   Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 03:14 PM

[quote]

Everyone in the theater I was in laughed and scoffed at the idea and some booed.

[quote]

I understand why the idea of a Miami Vice film might get some responses like this. I mean, it sounds like something that would appear as a joke in another movie (like the T.J. Hooker: The Movie gag that was in Charlie's Angels). However, Michael Mann's name attached as writer and director has lifted this above the ranks of SWAT and The Dukes of Hazzard movies to something that could be pretty damn good. I have yet to be disappointed in one of his films so far, and even the somewhat questionable casting could be forgotten if Vice is half as enentertaining and well made as his other films.

#39 of 406 OFFLINE   Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 03:16 PM

[quote]

Everyone in the theater I was in laughed and scoffed at the idea and some booed.

[quote]

I understand why the idea of a Miami Vice film might get some responses like this. I mean, it sounds like something that would appear as a joke in another movie (like the T.J. Hooker: The Movie gag that was in Charlie's Angels). However, Michael Mann's name attached as writer and director has lifted this above the ranks of SWAT and The Dukes of Hazzard movies to something that could be pretty damn good. I have yet to be disappointed in one of his films so far, and even the somewhat questionable casting could be forgotten if Vice is half as entertaining and well made as his other films.

#40 of 406 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted December 16 2005 - 03:58 PM

I don't know what the booing was about, but the laughing is understandable. My friend laughed when I told him the Miami Vice trailer had me excited. As awareness goes up I don't think that attitude will stick around. Some of it could have been affectionate, too.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users