Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Best and Worst Disney Platinum DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Kevin P.

Kevin P.

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 11 2005 - 03:49 AM

The Lion King was bad just due to the fact there crappy edits put into it and the lack of ''proper'' extras. However, I thought the best Platinum DVD was Beauty and the Beast. The video quality, aside from the brightness and some picture flaws (which seems to look like pixels, don't know) it was done beautifully and the film has never look any more ''beautiful''. Extras were absolutely good too, but I hear some, if not, a lot of other extras are missing from the Disney DVDs that happen to be from the Laserdisc box sets? True?

#2 of 34 Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted December 11 2005 - 07:43 AM

The original and best : Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - a gorgeous digital restoration, excellent and informative commentary, making-of featurette and more beautifully presented archival material than you can shake a stick at.

#3 of 34 Kevin P.

Kevin P.

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 11 2005 - 10:16 AM

Only one response? Come on guys! At least more than one posts would do! Or are there already threads disucssing this?

Posted Image

#4 of 34 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,008 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 11 2005 - 11:06 AM

Quote:
I thought the best Platinum DVD was Beauty and the Beast. The video quality, aside from the brightness and some picture flaws (which seems to look like pixels, don't know)

these are the reasons i would say this one was very bad.

the movie itself is the most important part of a dvd.
extra features are just that "extra".
so if the feature is bad in pq and sound then it isnt a good release.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 34 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted December 11 2005 - 11:33 AM

Best: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (perfect transfer and extras)
Worst: The Lion King (IMAX version, not original)

#6 of 34 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 11 2005 - 11:57 AM

I recently picked up Cinderella, and apart from the feature itself, was pretty dissapointed.

There's a completely ridiculous 30-odd minute "commercial" for ESPN on the first disc which I'm still unsure of how it relates in any way to the film or DVD itself. It's hosted by Joe Namath and basically highlights a bunch of 'significant' overcomings in sports history or something like that, and in the 10 or so minutes that I watched with an utterly confused look on my face, the producers somehow tried to integrate it into the film by mentioning 'Cinerella' in referance to some basketball games and such.

Than there's some horrendous Disney Channel music videos with a bunch of obnoxious 17 year old feckless louts, and as if it's not enough, a "making-of" for these stupid music videos.

These all seem to be in place of a basic commentary track (yes the first P.E. title to my understanding to omit this fundamental feature) or anything else of significance on the first disc, aside from the movie itself.

Onto disc two, a bunch of short and not too insightful featurettes which are mostly made up of 4-7 minute clips surrounding music, deleted scenes, demos, etc. Nothing too interesting or informative. I doubt they'd even amass to 30 mins. worth of footage.

Than the usual utterly useless and intelligence insulting "games" section with exciting features such as the 'Princess Pyjama Jam'...

Finally, really the only thing of much worth and value is the "Backstage Disney" stuff. There's a 40 minute "Making-Of" which was decent but mostly played as a retrospective with too many recent interviewees discussing how the film impacted them, etc. It was pretty glossed over and there's not much new information made available about the production that wasn't already known.

There's a 15 minute documentary on Mary Blair, which I was most looking forward to, though again the producers somehow managed to completely avoid any topics of substance or interest regarding Mary's art or background and instead only touch on the basic fundamentals that one would expect would be necessary in producing a rather generic featurette on the artist.

Than there's a tribute to the 9 Old Men, which again was mostly Disney contemporaries giving praise and talking about their "favorite scenes" from Disney films, followed by clips. You would have thought this would offer a bit more background into each of the artists lives, but it's extremely minimalistic in approach. I was quite tired when watching these but from what I recall, there's a couple of minutes at most relaying how said personality came to work for Mr. Disney, interspersed with some production and studio events during that time frame and that's about it.Very little on what makes their art unique, their traits and so on. It's still a pretty good documentary, probably the best extra on the set, but nothing exceptional. You certainly don't walk away with tons of insight into who these men were. But I digress, it was still fun to watch.

I can't really remember what else was on the disc... oh yeah, a silent Laugh-O-Gram cartoon which is also among the better extras provided here.

That's pretty much it. Some storyboards and galleries.

All in all, a pretty weak Platinum Edition when compared to the likes of Snow White, etc.

I'd say there's about an hour and a little more of worthwhile extras, and a good portion of that is pretty.. bleh.

I'd definitely rate it among the weakest of Disney's Platinum Edition releases...

#7 of 34 Kevin P.

Kevin P.

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 11 2005 - 12:30 PM

If you look in the extras of Beauty and the Beast on the disc, go to were they have the trailers and tv spots. One of them starts with the Celine Dion song she sung for the movie and is presented in fullscreen, however, the actual quality and color for the trailer is superior than that of the actual film! It also looks less Disney DTV-ish. But again, it's still pretty good video, just could've been done better. Certainly not the worst IMHO!

Posted Image

#8 of 34 Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted December 11 2005 - 04:26 PM

For me the best was the wonderful Snow White And the Seven Dwarfs. The transfer is wonderful, the extras are plentiful and the packaging is classy. Actually, everything about that dvd is done with class.

the worst one in my opinion is Beauty and the Beast. Good movie and a good dvd when compared to most, but there's just too much crammed on that first disc and the results are obvious even on a 27 inch non HD tv with anamorphic squeeze.

I also thought some of the extras on The Lion King were a but fluffy, but I'm happy with it for the most part.

#9 of 34 Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted December 11 2005 - 11:21 PM

I'll agree with the selection of Snow White as the overall best one. I've just gone through it for the fourth time and it continues to be a delight. The Aladdin Platinum is probably the best of the modern ones because they're not trying to sell a broadway show (like on The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast) and the extras are easy to navigate.

I have a smaller set, so the worse would be The Lion King, a pity since it may be my favorite movie of the bunch. Its second disc must rank with the most confusing menu for special features ever.

#10 of 34 Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 01:53 AM

I bought Disney's quite wonderful laserdisc box sets when they were new (most of them around 1995-98). Compared to those, the Platinum editions never really impressed me, even if some of them stand up well enough - but that's the least one should expect.

#11 of 34 Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 04:04 AM

Best: Bambi/Cinderella (tie). Ultra-rez for Technicolor animated films. Can't be done better.

Worst: Snow White/Beauty and the Beast (tie).
Snow White is exceptional in every way except that the video restoration was based on old technology (perfectly appropriate for its time) which has the unfortunate side effect of removing any sign that it was once a film. Can't wait to see it given the Bambi treatment. Bonus materials are without parallel.
Beauty and the Beast has compression problems. If only they had put the "work on progress" version on disc 2. Maybe next time.

Can't comment on Aladdin as I don't have it.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#12 of 34 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted December 12 2005 - 05:50 AM

I though "Beauty and the Beast" was the worst because of the very noticeable compression artifacts and the fact that they did not truly present the original version (in a similar but different way than "The Lion King"). "Snow White" is still the "platinum" standard for me. "Bambi", "Cinderella", and "Aladdin" are quite good, but in terms of overall presentation, they seemed to dumb things down a bit after "Snow White"

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 34 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 08:17 PM

The Best: Snow White
Bambi is a close second though.

Worst: Lion King, I don't even bother with disc 2 of that one.

#14 of 34 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 01:44 AM

Kevin P., can you clarify what you mean by "crappy edits"?
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#15 of 34 norman j

norman j

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 04:53 AM

Quote:
There's a completely ridiculous 30-odd minute "commercial" for ESPN on the first disc which I'm still unsure of how it relates in any way to the film or DVD itself. It's hosted by Joe Namath and basically highlights a bunch of 'significant' overcomings in sports history or something like that, and in the 10 or so minutes that I watched with an utterly confused look on my face, the producers somehow tried to integrate it into the film by mentioning 'Cinerella' in referance to some basketball games and such.

To me this was the worst extra feature I have ever seen on any of my discs- had nothing to do with the movie.

#16 of 34 Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Worst: Lion King, I don't even bother with disc 2 of that one.

Disc 2 of TLK could be the only DVD that I started watching and then put on the shelf less than halfway through. What were they thinking? In this case I'm particularly glad I've got my laserdiscs.

#17 of 34 Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
in terms of overall presentation, they seemed to dumb things down a bit after "Snow White"

yup, after Snow white it was all kiddy extras. Problem is my 8 year old daughter does not go to the movie collection by herself and start popping in disks to see extras.

Occassionally she wants to play a game on a disc and Snow white did offer at least one game. now these new Platinums seem to offer extras only for children. I could be wrong but I don't think they are ones that really care about "Platinum Edition". It's the adult collector.
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#18 of 34 Kevin P.

Kevin P.

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 08:31 AM

The crappy edits I'm refering to can be found in the Lion King DVD review website at Ultimate Disney. Go on the second page and you will see how different the ''original' verison on the DVD differs from the ''original'' verison shown in theaters. I cannot post the link, as I need 15 posts to do so.

#19 of 34 Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 10:42 AM

http://www.ultimated...helionking.html

#20 of 34 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 12:32 PM

Interesting stuff...thanks for the link...will I go to hell if I say I prefer the new waterfall? Posted Image
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow