-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

To convert VHS storage to DVD storage?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 07:32 AM

Searching the forums didn't turn up anything on this but I can't believe I'm the first person to ever want to do this.

I've got a large oak entertainment wall unit that has two tall, narrow cabinets flanking the TV space that are set up for VHS tape storage. Each has several tape storage racks on what look like standard drawer slides. At this point I don't need tape storage but I sure could use DVD storage space -- so the obvious thing to do is to convert that space. Yes, but how?

Spent awhile google searching the net to see if I could find anything relevant and to my surprise came up empty.

In a perfect world there would be replacement racks sized for DVDs that would simply slip into the current slides. Next best would be replacement assemblies (rack and slides) that could replace what's there. But no such luck either way -- or I can't find anything like that if it's out there.

Anybody have any experience here or ideas? If I have to I could brute force it by just cutting some shelves and mounting those in there but I need the slide out function for it to be really useful. Not sure my woodworking skills are really up to making real drawers that would fit the current slides but maybe...

Your thoughts and ideas appreciated! Posted Image

Oh, and replacing the entertainment center is not gonna happen (large negative WAF).
I am not young enough to know everything. -Oscar Wilde-