Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NCAA Football 2005 Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1314 replies to this topic

#41 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 15 2005 - 02:59 PM

Any official who calls an aiding the runner penalty, especially in that situation, would never work another ball game again.

That rule exists, but no one in their right mind enforces it.

I used to officiate high school ball. All our crews had an understanding: You call aiding the runner, and you're walking home.

I agree! I bet you can make that call at least once a game in both college and professional games.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#42 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 25 2005 - 11:29 AM

In any event, on ESPN's "The Sports Reporters" this past Sunday, three of the four reporters on the panel actually stated that the public wants to see USC vs. Texas this year.

Outside of SEC country that might be true!? Anyhow, the college football fans I talked to here in Michigan are hoping for that matchup.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#43 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 29 2005 - 05:27 AM

"Since the first day I arrived at Notre Dame as head football coach, one of my primary goals was to be able to see this job through to the time my son, Charlie, would graduate from the University of Notre Dame and to stay in this position until I retire," Weis said. "By restructuring this contract, adding an additional five years, this allows me to accomplish that goal." link

This will have a positive impact on Notre Dame recruiting, especially skilled offensive players. It kills those NFL rumors that Notre Dame competitors might have used against them.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#44 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 29 2005 - 02:14 PM

I watched that Stanford/UCLA game and Stanford isn't very good. Their defense is dependent on blitzes for a pass rush and their offense doesn't stretch the field. A team like UCLA with their offense just went to a hurry up offense on them and burnt them on their blitzes while Stanford's offense lack the offensive weapons to eat up the clock at the end of the game. Don't get me wrong, UCLA is good, but I think USC can handle them.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#45 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 12 2005 - 05:16 PM

A cool thing happened during a TV timeout. The P.A. announcer asked the fans to thank the Middies for their service to their country and the ENTIRE stadium gave them a 45 second to a minute standing ovation. It was awesome.

There is a loyal connection between the Navy Academy and Notre Dame. They mentioned it on NBC today, during the game that Notre Dame lost much of it's students (ND was male students only in those days) during WWII to the various military branches and to help them out, Navy sent some of their students there to Notre Dame and even made some structural improvements to the campus during that time. That influx of students helped prevent Notre Dame from having to shut their doors due to the lack of students. Also, Notre Dame's legendary coach Frank Leahy served active duty with the Navy during that time. Anyhow, they extended their playing arrangement through 2015.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#46 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 13 2005 - 11:55 AM

That is, unless you're classless like Mack Brown.

George,
That remark was unnecessary!

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#47 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 13 2005 - 03:45 PM

Am I not allowed to express my opinion about a coaching move? And are you commenting as a fellow HTFer who simply disagrees with my opinion, or as am Admin telling me not to repeat said opinion? If you're telling me that opinion violates HTF rules (which I would understand if Mack Brown were an HTF member, but I'm pretty sure he's not), then I have no choice but to shut up about MB, but if it's not violating rules here, then whenever MB does something like fishing for votes, lying to the media, or running up the score, I'll voice my disdain. Just seeking clarification.

George,
I don't care what you think of any coach, but what I don't like is your use of the following words "That is, unless you're classless like Mack Brown." So that you're clear of my meaning, do not again question nor infer that another HTF member is classless like Mack Brown. And yes, I'm acting in my administrative capacity. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#48 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 19 2005 - 07:34 PM

Bush might have won the Heisman tonight. The media will play up his great performance.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#49 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 19 2005 - 08:09 PM

USC fans can talk all the shit they want about the best of the SEC/ACC/Big 12,
If any of you guys want to talk smack than do so on another forum! Let's have some intelligent discussion about NCAA football without the obligatory chest-beating by fans of the different schools and conferences. Anyhow, the game is played on the field and not on some internet board.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#50 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 20 2005 - 06:45 AM

So, again, I agree with you that this is not the place to talk smack about different conferences or teams, for that matter. But if we're going to single people out, lets single out everyone who is doing it.

If any of you guys want to talk smack than do so on another forum! Let's have some intelligent discussion about NCAA football without the obligatory chest-beating by fans of the different schools and conferences. Anyhow, the game is played on the field and not on some internet board.

Seth,
First off, please read my warning again in which I stated "any of you guys" in regard to talking smack then included the term "fans of the different schools and conferences" in my warning which means my warning applies to all fans. Secondly, if you have any questions as to how we moderate this board then please, follow our posting guidelines and email/PM the administrator your question is directed towards. Thanks.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#51 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 20 2005 - 06:59 AM

Bush certainly has my vote but in the same vein, I think USC's defense is horribly suspect. Texas's Defense is not IMHO.

In regard to USC's defense, besides losing some key people to the NFL, they had a slew of injuries this year. I think they lost 4-5 starters to injuries including their starting linebacker crew. Rivers who's their best LB had a hamstring injury last night. Anyway, they're starting 2 freshman at LB. The question remains is whether they'll get any of their starters back before January and how effective they can be if they play? Carroll, who is recognized as a defensive coaching wiz will have his work cutout for him. Furthermore, coaches they have extensive NFL coaching experience usually do well in bowl games by preparing their teams for the big game.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#52 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 24 2005 - 02:54 AM

I have watched enough of USC, UT and ND this season to know that Quinn is not the best player in college football. It is either Young or Bush.

What does the Heisman ceremony have to do with the best player in college? Just look at the Heisman winners for the last 40 or so years and you can see plenty examples of the best college player not even winning that award.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#53 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 24 2005 - 03:29 PM

If Bush explodes against UCLA in that nationally televised game then I think it's all over, but the shouting.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#54 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 25 2005 - 10:34 AM

Good point, I never understood why some conferences (SEC, Big 12, etc.) have championship games and others (Big 10, Pac 10) don't. I know it has to do with divisions (another bogus invention), but that never seemed right to me.

Conference championship games are mainly for one thing and that is to make more money for the conference, so if that puts their top teams in harms way as far as the BCS is concern then they have nobody to blame, but themselves.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#55 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 25 2005 - 10:54 AM

That's certainly a common theme today, and the same can be said about the bowls, but the problem for many is that these conference championships have been around for decades and are rich with tradition.

Call me a cynic, but I think that tradition is a poor relative to the almighty dollar.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#56 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 26 2005 - 04:48 AM

In the eyes of the administrators, sad, but true. However in the eyes of fans, championship matches are all about tradition, and not about money.

However, fans don't set university policy while administrators do. It's plain to see that college administrators don't give a crap about the fans, otherwise, they would have a better bowl/playoff system in place than the BCS.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#57 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 26 2005 - 11:32 PM

Good win for ND tonight; though as the game came down to the wire, I kept thinking "man, if they lose this, it's a long ride for the kicker home".. 1+3+3 all makable.. OUCH.

It was a great game, but if ND lost then it would've been a long plane ride home for the kicker and the entire team. If you look at the game stats without looking at the score, ND should've won that game by 20 points instead of 7.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#58 of 1315 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 03 2005 - 05:49 AM

If you guys can't play nice in this thread then stop participating in it. There won't be any further warnings!

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#59 of 1315 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,649 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 12 2005 - 07:01 AM

I saw in last weekend's paper that Notre Dame was a double-digit underdog in numerous games already, including USC, Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue. The paper suggested that Charlie Weiss may want to re-apply for his coordinator job with the Patriots very soon. It warms this Wolverine fan's heart to see that. Posted Image

Michigan and OSU should once again be the main contenders for the Big Ten. Iowa lost a lot of players from last season. Most of Michigan's offense returns, with the exception of Braylon Edwards and David Bass. However, they are quite deep at receiver and always seem to have an abundance of offensive linemen, so they should be able to fill in those holes easily. They also have a young, deep and talented group of running backs. The defense lost several players, but considering the way it's played the past few years, that could be a good thing. Posted Image Also, their non-conference schedule is Wisconsinesque, although they did (barely) avoid scheduling any catholic girls schools.

#60 of 1315 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,649 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 12 2005 - 09:18 AM

Quote:
Michigan will win the Big Ten, beat Ohio State, edit: nevermind, they don't play Purdue.

Purdue catches a huge break with this year's schedule -- they miss both Michigan and OSU this year. If the Boilermakers somehow win the Big Ten title, there will be lots of complaining all across the Midwest.