1314 replies to this topic

#21 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 06:25 AM

Quote:
1) Remove any benefit from playing 1-AA teams. Don't allow that game to count towards records or rankings.
Boy would Stanford love it if that were the case... Posted Image

#22 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 09 2005 - 10:51 AM

There is a formula to beat USC, though the formula alone does not guarantee a victory:

1. An offense that eats up clock and sustains drives. No (or very minimal) 3-n-outs. The best way to keep USC's offense in check is to keep them on the sidelines. When Oregon, ASU and Arizona put up good halfs, their offenses were sustaining drives, eating up clock, and scoring on a good % of those drives. When the games got out of hand, the offenses started going 3-n-out and their defenses were left on the field for way too long in the second half.

1a. [a corollary on how to execute #1] Exploit USC's secondary. This team has a weakness and this is it, very thin and inexperienced outside of Bing. The only problem is that their front 7 is good, so your offense will need a good OL.

2. Mount a pass rush for the whole game. Not trying to hate on Leinart, but I've watched nearly every USC game the last two years and every time he has faced a pass rush, he has looked like an average QB (Cal the previous two years, UCLA last year, first halves of Oregon, ASU and Arizona this year). Passes were inaccurate, right reads not made, etc. Watch closely: when Leinart gets it going, count the # of seconds he has to make the pass. I often get to 4 or 5 seconds before a D-lineman is anywhere near him.

I have concluded that there is no way to even "contain" Bush and White. They are simply too good and both will be drafted high first round when they go (just like Williams and Brown were last year for Auburn). They are going to get theirs. USC will at least score 28 in any game where both are healthy. The only way to limit their effectiveness is point #1 above: keep the time of possession in your favor.

Cal and UCLA can both do #1 [and 1a] but I worry about both teams' ability to do #2 - especially for UCLA. We were already thin on DL coming into the year and we've lost 3 starters on that unit during the course of the year. Cal may be able to do it, they were stout against their weak competition in their first 5 games, but UCLA's Drew Olson I don't think was sacked all game long, and was not pressured often. Haven't been following ND much so I don't know about their ability to do either of the 2 above.

#23 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 04:56 AM

Pete's saying No to Instant Replay because he knows that would have overturned a Reggie Bush non-fumble vs. UCLA last year and potentially cost him the game. Posted Image

On a more serious note, for George Kaplan whose hate for Mack Brown exceeds even mine own...UT and UCLA just signed a home and home for 2010-2011. Guess Mack wanted to wait until Ben Olson graduated before taking on the Bruins.

We (UCLA fans) remember what happened the last two times UT and UCLA played (66-3 thrashing at UT and a 49-31 beating at the Rose Bowl in 1997 and 1998--I don't think Texas will ever forget Cade McNown).

The funny thing is that in many Texas bulletin boards, when they are asked "what are the 5 worst losses in UT history" quite a high percentage answer the 1997 66-3 massacre at the hands of the Bruins.

One really funny post from a UT fan said "I had memorized the UCLA fight song by halftime..." Posted Image

#24 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 13 2005 - 09:01 AM

George, I hate Mack almost (almost) as much as you, but there's just no way you can project a team 5-6 years in advance. Put it this way: three years ago USC was 6-6 and lost to Utah in the Las Vegas bowl.

#25 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 05:36 AM

I'm perfectly fine with the time rules in NCAA FB. It really is the TV time outs that prolong games.

UCLA has been down the last few years, and when we are only broadcast locally, or not at all, the games last just a touch over 3 hours.

When we do get a high profile matchup, or are good (as we are this year) and are televised regionally or nationally, man those games go on forever. There is the dude with the Red Arm Band (who goes out on the field and signals to the refs when the station is going on commercial break) and it's very obvious that national or regional coverage extends the game by an average of 20-30 minutes, easily.

#26 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 04:18 PM

Wow, UCLA has to be the shakiest Top 10 team (and I'm a fan and alum).

We really had a young and thin DL (started mostly underclassmen) and now we've lost 3 of the starters throughout the season. Now I believe we have 2 SO and 2 FR (one is a true FR) on the DL. We cannot stop anyone's running game (and to be fair, Harrison from WSU was leading the PAC10 in rushing before the UCLA game).

Fortunately it looks like we have the offense to potentially keep up with a defense that likes to let a team score at will for the first 3 quarters. An odd phenomenon is that I think the UCLA D has given up 16 points in the six fourth quarters they've played. Not sure why all of the sudden they can play defense for the last fifteen minutes.

Oh well, most of my friends who are UCLA fans are keenly aware of our defensive liability. So we aren't under some sort of delusion that we actually are the 8th or 9th best team in the country. But we are going to enjoy this ride while it lasts Posted Image

#27 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 06:59 AM

ESPN's BCS listing is up, if you can't get to the official BCS page:
http://sports.espn.g...ts/BCSStandings

#28 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 07:09 AM

Man, all that worrying about VaTech leapfrogging Texas, and it wasn't even close...

#29 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 04:20 AM

I know that the Powers That Be do not want to upset the Bowl system and all of its revenue.

That said, I cannot remember a recent year in NCAA history that has required more than one additional game to be decided. If the Powers want the Bowl system in place, they can keep it in place with whatever altered form of the BCS they decide on in the future, when the current contract runs out.

In those rare events where there are more than 2 undefeated teams, have them square off 1 v 4, 2 v 3. If only one team emerges unscathed, then you have your champion. If the winners of those Bowls still are 2 undefeated teams, then schedule just one additional Bowl, something like 2 weeks later. More than enough time to get tickets sold and to let the participants rest and prepare for the last game.

#30 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 12:44 PM

Wow, all this cloak-n-dagger stuff with the polls, the BCS, the voters, the networks!

I'm just glad my Bruins keep quietly rolling along. I guess several years of ~.500 football will do that to you. Now we've got a tough match against Stanford coming up. Yes, the same one that lost to UC Davis...but just beat up on Arizona State! Harris is a proven coach so I'm willing to believe that the Stanford team we'll play is the one that beat up ASU and not the one that lost to UCD (though I'd love to be wrong Posted Image ).

#31 of 1315 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted November 07 2005 - 05:05 AM

Well we (UCLA fans) knew that we were playing with house money. Our D is rather pathetic, and our O is good but our QB had only turned it around this year (previous three years he was horrible).

We really could have been 5-4 at this point, so even though the loss stings, I think when we look back on it with clearer heads we will take 8-1.

What we are looking for now, is to see how Coach Dorrell gets the troops to bounce back. At the beginning of the season, coming off of 6-7 and 6-6 seasons, if you had told any UCLA fan that we would go 8-3, we would have been thrilled. Of course, no one wants to lose the last three games of the season, so now the target has moved up. No one will blame UCLA for losing to USC on Dec. 3, so this next game vs. ASU really becomes a season-defining game.

If UCLA bounces back and wins against ASU, we end the regular season 9-2 at worst, and I think most UCLA fans will take that.

#32 of 1315 Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted November 19 2005 - 11:58 AM

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!

God Bless Jesus Tressel and the Ohio State Buckeyes! What a great comeback against scU-M. Too bad for them that Penn State won, but I think they might get a BCS bowl anyway...
Government in action = Government inaction

#33 of 1315 Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 11:23 AM

The BCS was created to avoid splits in the National Title. What happened two years ago? Oops. BCS = useless.

I think a playoff would suck.

I miss the old days were teams just wanted to win their conference and their bowl game. The debate about who should be #1 was always fun, but I was always more interested in seeing my team just win their conference, along with playing a good schedule, not loading up on MAC cream puffs.
Government in action = Government inaction

#34 of 1315 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 11:22 AM

Quote:
And again, Tommy Tuberville has more votes for the BCS than every employee of ESPN combined

That's true *this* year, but it was not true last year when the AP was still a part of the BCS.

And ABC still has the BCS contract this year; the FOX contract starts *next* year (although ABC is retaining the Rose Bowl, as you indicated.)

In any event, on ESPN's "The Sports Reporters" this past Sunday, three of the four reporters on the panel actually stated that the public wants to see USC vs. Texas this year.

They actually stated "Sorry Virginia Tech and Alabama: We just want you to go away".

Tuberville is merely trying to stand up for the conference now that his team has been eliminated from the MNC race this year. IMO, this is very admirable of him since Lou Holtz, and other SEC coaches that had votes last year, *didn't* stand up for Auburn at the end of the 2004 season.

By the way, Holtz in particular seems to have a vendetta against the SEC with his constant running down of the SEC teams on the "College Football Gameday Final" show.
Joseph
---------------

#35 of 1315 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 06:58 PM

We think one of the reasons Tuberville "went off" on ESPN in his speaking engagement was due to the fact that the fantastic 74 yard TD run by Auburn tailback Kenny Irons against LSU last Saturday night (during which he broke six tackles on the way to the endzone) was not shown in the Auburn/LSU highlights package on the Lou Holtz-hosted "College Football Gameday Final". Furthermore, in the only favorable Auburn highlight that was shown, Holtz blasted the Auburn receiver that caught the late TD pass by stating that he had pushed-off on the defender. In actuality, the defender had slightly slipped on the soft turf that was prevalent in that end of the stadium; in fact,the soft grass was a huge factor in most of the dropped passes in the game (on both sides).

BTW, Auburn tailback Kenny Irons (who gained over 200 yards in the game) is a transfer from South Carolina, and played for Holtz just two years ago.
Joseph
---------------

#36 of 1315 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,124 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 18 2005 - 09:54 AM

Most of the time Mike Lupica is pretty knowledgable and has valid opinions. But today he really sounded stupid, though admittedly on a fairly offhand remark.

Lupica is an idiot who always has a hidden agenda which includes long standing grudges against certain people and teams. He's been that way ever since he was a young reporter back in the 70's, when he trained under his mentor, the late Dick Young, another vindictive prick. Lupica was one of those New York writers that helped run Pete Carroll out of New York, so his comments don't surprise me one bit.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#37 of 1315 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,124 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 08 2005 - 03:13 PM

This is meant to take nothing away from UT. After watching all their games this year, and watching quite a bit of the USC game today, I am beginning to think maybe USC is not quite so invincible after all. They can be beaten.

The only teams I think have a chance against USC are Notre Dame and California. Right now, I think the USC players are bored which is costing them some errors in concentration, however, for both those teams they will be ready to play their best.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#38 of 1315 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,124 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 14 2005 - 01:43 AM

(1) Stop the clock after 1st downs only in the final two minutes of each half;

Why? There isn't a good enough reason to stop the clock after 1st downs.

Crawdaddy

#39 of 1315 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,124 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 14 2005 - 05:13 AM

Under current NCAA rules, the clock is stopped after every first down while the officials spot the ball.

That's my point, they should change the rule and I don't think you need to stop the clock after first downs during the final two minutes of each half.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#40 of 1315 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,124 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 15 2005 - 11:43 AM

What a great game between USC and Notre Dame.

Crawdaddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow