Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Too Early for Best of 2005?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 02:33 PM

Why not? I'll give 2 lists: Best of 2005 (no particular order): Sufjan Stevens - Come On Feel The Illinoise! - Like the best high school pageant you've ever heard, combined with Vince Guaraldi combined with a little Philip Glass - as beautiful as it is precious in concept (the second in a planned 50 salutes to our 50 states). Los Super Seven - Heard it On the X - The border radio of your dreams, guest starring Raul Malo of the Mavericks, Delbert McClinton, Rodney Crowell, Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett, Freddy Fender and the immortal Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown. Pernice Brothers - Discover A Lovelier You - Proof that beauty is its own reward. Gorgeous vocals combined with sympathetic and lush pop. There's no more beautiful song this year than "Amazing Glow." Marty Stuart - Soul's Chapel - it starts with Stuart playing Pops Staples' old guitar and gets better from there. Gritty, soul-steeped southern gospel that's light years ahead of Stuart's previous, and considerable, work. Michael Penn - Mr. Hollywood Jr. 1947 - Intricately crafted and arranged pop. The 1947 "concept" doesn't really flow through the songs as a whole (unless someone wants to explain it all to me), but that doesn't diminish the achievement. Try "Denton Road," and "On Automatic" and go from there. Various Artists - I Believe To My Soul - What a great album, produced by Joe Henry, reviving the criminally underappreciated careers of Ann Peebles, Mavis Staples, Billy Preston and Allen Toussaint. Far from nostalgia, this album shows the artists improving with age. If you like this, check out, also produced by Henry, "I've Got My Own Hell To Raise," by Betty Lavette. Eels - Blinking Lights And Other Revelations - Beautifully broken music. Homemade over years, and heartbreaking. Usually these fevered one-man projects sound antiseptic or fussed over. Not this double-CD, full of memorable melodies improved by Mark Everett's cracked but beautifully crafted vocals. Iron & Wine and Calexico - In The Reins - One of my favorite bands (Calexico) providing a perfect setting for one of my kid's favorite bands (Iron & Wine a/k/a Sam Beam). Hushed vocals combined with the best spaghetti western soundtrack for a film that's never existed. Van Morrison - Magic Time - To hear an artist, after 30+ years, come up with a song as profound and majestic as "The Lion This Time" is remarkable. The fact that the song is surrounded by selections nearly as good ("Stranded," "Celtic New Year") is proof that Van Morrison's last few albums are the great secret gems in a career that has started to be unjustly ignored. Susan Tedeschi - Hope and Desire - A blues guitarist and vocalist in service of R&B. Try "Share Your Love With Me," which does Aretha's version proud. ADDITION: Let me also add in a late entry - "Our New Orleans," a collection of new recordings from displaced New Orleans legends (Dr. John. Allen Toussaint, Buckwheat Zydeco, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and others). Any knee-jerk sympathies are blown away by the actual performances - restrained and profoundly sad. Others worth hearing: Shelby Lynne's "Suit Yourself," Ry Cooder's "Chavez Ravine," Nickel Creek's "Why Should The Fire Die?," Ben Folds's "Songs For Silverman," and Teenage Fanclub's "Man-Made." Now, Best Reissues of 2005 (again, no particular order): Aretha Franklin & King Curtis Live At The Fillmore West: Don't Fight The Feeling - The original Aretha album (Live at the Fillmore West) contained a so-good-it's-scary version of "Dr. Feelgood." This 3-CD collection (available only from Rhino Handmade's website and now, to my knowledge, sold out) combines all three nights of the performance and show that the other two nights were just as remarkable. It's always nice when hippies discover soul. Ray Charles - Pure Genius - Everything Ray Charles recorded in his first stint with Atlantic Records. Just listen and hear R&B being invented, song by song. There may be nothing better than this. Sam Cooke - One Night Stand: Live at The Harlem Square Club - Sam Cooke without the strings and overwrought Hugo & Luigi studio production is a thing to hear. B.B. King - Original Greatest Hits - his earliest hits are energetic, inventive, just plain fun, and are all collected here. The Band - A Musical History - 5 CDs and a DVD. An insanely good "4% Pantomime" with Van Morrison. The early Ronnie Hawkins stuff through the majestic version of The Weight with the Staples. So rich and deep it's almost impossible to fully absorb. Looking forward to seeing what you all offer as your best.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Arman

• 1,625 posts

Posted December 03 2005 - 02:00 AM

My Best of 2005: Album of the Year - The Magic Numbers (by The Magic Numbers) Song of the Year - Feeling a Moment (Feeder) Record of the Year -TBD Live Concert of the Year - Playing the Angel tour (Depeche Mode) Artist of the Year - Sufjan Stevens DVD Concert of the Year - TBD New Artist of the Year - Brandi Carlile Band of the Year -TBD

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   TomCW

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted December 03 2005 - 04:43 AM

In alphabetical order: Big Blue Hearts- Here Come Those Dreams Again Tracy Bonham- Blink The Brightest Brandi Carlile- S/T Pieta Brown- In The Cool Laura Cantrell- Humming by the Flowered Vine Rodney Crowell- The Outsider The Duhks- S/T Kathleen Edwards- Back to Me David Elias- Crossing (Hybrid SACD) Erin McKeown- We Will Become Like Birds Thea Gilmore- Songs From The Gutter Tracy Grammer- Flower Of Avalon The Greencards- Weather and Water Hackensaw Boys- Love What You Do Harper- Down To The Rhythm Aimee Mann- The Forgotten Arm James McMurtry- Childish Things John Prine- Fair & Square Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion- Exploration Maia Sharp- Fine Upstanding Citizen Dar Williams- My Better Self Tom
I like to live in an altered state/ it makes me love all the things I hate.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for the lists, they're very useful to someone like me who doesn't follow music as closely as movies. I hear about "Illinoise" at least twelve times a day, but I still haven't heard it. (Mostly because it's not on Rhapsody.)

Some of my favorites, in order:

1. Sleater-Kinney -- The Woods
"Modern Girl" is my favorite song of the year.

2. Fiona Apple -- Extraordinary Machine
(Even though it's watered down.)

3. The White Stripes -- Get Behind Me Satan
Wait... maybe "Little Ghost" is my favorite song of the year. Posted Image

4. Nine Inch Nails -- With Teeth
A letdown, but still NIN.

5. Feist -- Let it Die

6. The Kills -- No Wow

7. The Go! Team -- Thunder, Lightning, Strike
It was an '05 release in the US, at least.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 11:27 AM

Just a top 3 for now... I'll expand it once I listen to a few more 2005 albums:

1. John Williams - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (Original Score)
2. Eisley - Room Noises
3. Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

• 1,921 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 12:37 PM

Only a few: Disturbed: Ten Thousand Fists Coldplay: X&Y Judas Priest: Angel of Retribution
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   James Corey

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 03:57 PM

A few come to mind at the moment: Ryan Adams - 29 Neil Young - Prarie Wind The Killers - Hot Fuss - they put on a pretty fair show on Austin City Limits a few months back Already mentioned: In The Reins - Iron and Wine with Calexico John Prine - Fair and Square The Band - A Musical History

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

• 4,648 posts
  • LocationKnocksville, TN

Posted December 31 2005 - 03:48 AM

My fav album of 2005 is without a doubt, by george, Michael Hill's Black Gold And Goddesss Bold! It's the most politically poignant album in years...I'm a jungle girl and I kick bush all I can...Posted Image Posted Image

Other albums, new, I liked alot this year:

RPWL's World Through My Eyes
Paul Weller's Studio 150
Herbie Hancock's Gershwin's World
Triple Fret's S/T
Kaori Murjai's Transformations
Rossa Passos & Ron Carter's Entre Amigos
Boz Scaggs' Greatest Hits Live
Aimee Mann's The Forgotten Arm
Webb Wilder's About Time
Brian Setzer's Rockabilly Riot Vol. 1, A Tribute To Sun Records
Jacintha's Love Flows Like A River
Super Furry Annimal's Lovekraft
G3's Live In Tokyo
Ry Cooder's Chavez Ravine
Zazie's Rodeo
...and I kind'a liked Duran Duran's Astronaut that I got just a few days ago...
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

• 3,208 posts

Posted December 31 2005 - 07:20 PM

Kate Bush - Aerial is my pick. If she had decided to promote it in America I'd bet it would be on more people's radars and on more lists. Alas, she's given up promoting her own albums because she doesn't like the hoopla associated with it (such as traveling distances only to have to put up with clueless airheads asking inane questions). I respect her choices but it's too bad. It's a beautiful and intelligent album.
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Lee M T

Lee M T

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted January 01 2006 - 06:08 AM

Porcupine Tree's Deadwing has to be in there somewhere. At the top in my opinion. I thought Opeth's Ghost Reveries would have been on my list. It blew me away for the first couple of weeks, but now I haven't listened to it in forever. It's still a real nice album, but just doesn't have the staying power.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 06:03 AM

There is no way I can put these in any order! Teenage Fanclub - Man-Made I saw these guys up close and personal at a tiny venue here in Philly earlier in the year and they just blew me away. They've been around for years and well worth checking out if you like your power-pop with jangle. Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise I came across this the other day and recognised it from all the hype around it so I picked it up blind and BAM! straight into my year list. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing Prog rock that isn't that overblown. Amazing musicianship. Rob Dickinson - Fresh Wine For The Horses I saw this guy supporting Athlete over here and didn't even realise that he used to be in Catherine Wheel. Great songs, great voice. Feeder - Pushing The Senses This is only in here for the bridge section in "Feeling A Moment". Garbage - Bleed Like Me A return to form after the insipid "Beautiful Garbage". They found their balls again. Stereophonics - Language. Sex. Violence. Other? What is it about Wales? I mean, they consistently churn out great bands. Made to be played loud in the car. The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers Who ate all the pies? Beautiful harmonies and a clean production makes this pop-tastic. Thirteen Senses - The Invitation Yep, they get the Coldplay wannabee tag all the time but I liked this more than X&Y. Athlete - Tourist South London represent! Gotta love these guys!

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 12:18 PM

Aimee Mann - The Forgotten Arm (Intelligent Vocals) DangerDoom - The Mouse and the Mask (Highly Addictive) Kate Bush - Aerial (My all time favorite singer along w/Joni Mitchell & Chaka Khan)

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 21 2006 - 04:29 AM

I am finding myself digging some "emo" (hate that term -- it's metal with punk lyrics/ vocals as far as I'm concerned) music these days, but don't care for most of the vocals.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users