-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Cinderella Man gift set recalled?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 donnie_d

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 07:44 AM

i dunno if you guys noticed this already but many online retailers are reporting that the Cinderella Man gift set is no longer available.i would post links but i can't since iam still behind 15 posts.but you can check amazon.com or B&N website to make sure.

so you guys have any clue?Posted Image

#2 of 37 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 07:46 AM

Maybe because the discs don't play. That seems to be a problem with Universal. It would be news if they admitted to it, and did something about it.

#3 of 37 David (C)

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 10:19 AM

My guess for the recall is Universal wants to sell the (Gift Edition) of Cinderella Man after the award session.

#4 of 37 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,463 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 02 2005 - 10:43 AM

I'm asking around... it would be good to know for sure before I post a review of it.

- Steve

#5 of 37 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 11:32 AM

Damn it. That's the one I wanted. Don't want to have to wait until after awards season to get it.

#6 of 37 Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 03:00 PM

Quote:
Damn it. That's the one I wanted.

ME TOO!!! GRRRRRR

Maybe a few will slip through the cracks, will be at BB right when they open just in case.

#7 of 37 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,047 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 02 2005 - 04:14 PM

still up preorder at deepdiscount, dvdempire, and dvdplanet.
whether it ships is a different story.
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 37 donnie_d

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 08:26 PM

Quote:
I'm asking around... it would be good to know for sure before I post a review of it.

do you a copy of the gift set,steve?

#9 of 37 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted December 03 2005 - 02:05 AM

This same thing happened with THE BIG LEBOWSKI: Achiever's Edition Gift Set but when DVD-release Tuesday came, all the stores had them; it also happened with THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION: Limited Edition boxed set with book and soundtrack CD and when DVD-release Tuesday came, none of the stores had them. LEBOWSKI and CINDERELLA MAN are both Universal, whereas SHAWSHANK is Warners, so I put the odds 60-40 in our favor that it will come out properly on Tuesday.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#10 of 37 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,463 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 03 2005 - 04:45 AM

I have a screener, but it is not final product. I am anxious to see how it turns out for sure, but as it stands the extra disc is 2:21 of extra material, and it's good. I am working on the review right now and will post it this afternoon.

As for Lebowski and Shawshank, I found ample quantities of both in store. The swag in the Lebowski box did nothing for me, but I picked up a couple of Shawshank.

I suspect that production capacity is just about maxed out this time of year, and that select titles--including this Cinderella Man limited edition--are being short-shipped. That would account for Amazon not putting it up for sale, if they don't have enough on-hand, or if their wholesale order was not fulfilled.

- Steve

#11 of 37 Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted December 03 2005 - 05:23 AM

The 2 disc edition is listed in the Sunday Flyers for Best Buy and Circuit City in addition to the reguler edition. So there should be plenty to go around even at that high price which is almost double the cost for the single disc set.
Best
Greg

#12 of 37 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,047 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 03 2005 - 05:51 AM

http://bordersstores....chType=Keyword

steve is that the one you saw ample copies of?

extra wide box with cd AND book?
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 37 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted December 03 2005 - 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Steve Tannehill:
As for Lebowski and Shawshank, I found ample quantities of both in store.

I thought it was common knowledge that the Limited Edition of THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION was cancelled the week of release (similar to what happened with the original version of the BATMAN BEGINS: Deluxe Edition with comic book), so if you found one the week of release, great, so did I, because of whatever the retailers managed to receive before the axe came down, but it was allegedly nigh impossible to find anywhere after that first week and hasn't been made available for reorder since.

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...

#14 of 37 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,463 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 03 2005 - 07:07 AM

Shawshank may have been limited to what was in-store, but I found a stash and as I recall it was not even the first week of release. And yes, I am talking about the one with the BFI Modern Classics book. And I even bought two of them...

- Steve

#15 of 37 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted December 03 2005 - 08:00 AM

I'm not sure what we're hashing out here--are you arguing that THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION: Limited Edition was in ample supply for the majority of Region 1 consumers after the first week of release, or just explaining your uncustomary good fortune finding the title?

#16 of 37 Johnny G

Johnny G

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted December 03 2005 - 08:11 AM

Looks like the rumors are true.

DVD Pacific are pretty good at removing something from their site quickly when there's none to be had & guess what...

...it's been removed from their site!

#17 of 37 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,340 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted December 03 2005 - 08:59 AM

I don't much like the look of the packaging of the discs: that overlapping thing, especially if a DVD-18 is involved. There are better ways of doing this, but none any *cheaper* I suppose. It's not like they're not charging enough...

amazon.ca still has this up, too expensive for me, too much other stuff to get. IIRC their price is comparable to what amazon.com had it up for.

#18 of 37 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 02:54 AM

For anyone left who cares, this title HAS been released (the date of release, here in Tulsa, OK, the southside Best Buy had approximately 25...well, 24 after I was finished), but many people over at another DVD forum I frequent have been less lucky in finding stock at retailers, so if you're interested, you might wanna move quickly on this one.

#19 of 37 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 04:34 AM

There seemed to plenty on hand at the BB in Omaha that I frequent. Glad I got mine!

#20 of 37 JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 07:09 PM

Anyone think they can get a copy of the 2-disc for me where they are at? I can't seem to find them anywhere here, and I have been waiting or this set for a long time.

I will pay of course. LMK! Posted Image
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

Forum Nav Content I Follow