What's new

PS2 vs XBox (1 Viewer)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I'm going to be upgrading in the near future and would like to hear from some of you on the pros and cons of ps2 vs xbox.The system will be used with a projector and 106" screen. Any suggestions or reccomendations would be appreciated.:)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
What games do you like? The Xbox will house slightly better graphics, but I am all about Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo 4.

I think GTA has been ported to Xbox, so that shouldn't be an issue. Many people like Forza for the Xbox, so that's a good GT4 competitor.

Feel the controllers. See which you like better. You'll have to hold them for hours during gameplay. :)

And finally, which games do you like better?! I originally got the PS2 because I really liked GTA and the Gran Turismo line of games. I probably only have 8 games total.

Also, I do believe that some Xbox games will play progressively scanned. I'm not sure if it's all or some, but that's something to consider. I'm not so sure the PS2 does this at all.

Nathan A

Second Unit
Yes, XBox does progressive scan for all games, provided you can somehow get another set of component cables into your projector. XBox games will generally look better than PS2 games, but at this point in the systems' lifespans, your best bet is to just look at the list of games out for each system and see which one has more of the games you think you'll want to play. If you haven't really followed these consoles, you can check out websites like Gamespot, IGN, or 1-UP and look for the best reviewed games for each system. Also, don't forget about the poor Gamecube! It might be a good idea to check out its games, too. It's got Zelda, two great Metroid games, two Rogue Squadron sequels, and other fun ones; plus it's the cheapest of the bunch.

But if you can hold out for another 3-6 months and don't mind paying $400 for a new system, the XBox 360 should be readily available with graphics that should look much better on your projector than either the XBox or PS2 can produce (at least if it's a HD projector, and again, if you can feed component cables into it).

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Nathan A. Save your money and get yourself an Xbox 360. It is one of the best systems I've ever played!

If you don't want that system then I would go with the Xbox. In game Dolby Digital, progressive scan, and a built in hard drive are some of the key features. Plus, there are a lot of great games such as Halo 1 and 2, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden Black, Elder Scrolls 3, Jade Empire, Splinter Cell 1, 2, and 3, Half Life 2, X-Men Legends 1 and 2 in 720p, Call of Cthulu, and the GTA series just to name a few off the top of my head.

Brion

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
For raw horsepower and technical prowess the Xbox. For sheer variety of games the PS2. But ultimately quantity does not equal quantity, so look at the titles themselves and decide which console best supports your interests.

James T

Screenwriter

You're right. I always assumed it never equaled quality.

I had both consoles. I sold my Xbox b/c it was pretty much dead(ie. having trouble reading discs).

The PS2 is alright and this late into the console wars, most games are available for both systems.

There are only two games I got the PS2 for, WWE: Smackdown vs Raw series and Metal Gear Solid 3. Metal Gear Solid 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. The good thing about MGS3 is that it's a prequel and you won't need to know anything about the previous games to enjoy it.

But I agree with some others regarding the 360. If you find that you enojy the PS2 or Xbox, you'll end up getting the 360, so why not just save your money for a couple months a pick that up?

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
By the way GTA wasnt "ported from the the ps2 version" It was actually the PC version. The xbox version, looks way better with little to no loading screens when you enter a building and such. It also has a greater draw distance.

Xbox all the way. far superior machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks