What's new

Boston or Paradigm (1 Viewer)

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Ok i'm in a perdiciment. My father and i are shoping for a new 2 ch stereo. we have decided on a HK 3380 rec and are trying to decide between two sets of speakers. the first are the paradigm monitor 7s at a very good price and pair of boston VR3s also at a good price the digms are about 525 and the Bostons are about 515 so no real difference in price the only problem is that both speakers blew me and my dad away when we listened to them, and there in different stores so we can't listen to them side by side. does anybody have any bad experiances or real good experiances with either speaker that could push us either way?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I've yet to hear a Boston speaker I didn't like, but I still think they are a step beneath Paradigm in terms of oveall sound quality. Your ears should be the ultimate judge, of course, that's just my take. I've owned all sorts of Paradigm speakers and have loved them all.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
If you can't compare them side by side, but like them both. Look at smaller things like dealer location, cabinet size, construction and color, warranty period, and sensitivity(as in easier to power).

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I have heard both....side by side and would certainly give the nob to the Boston. They are both great speakers but the Boston had cleaner bass and much more dtailed highs. If this is for a music 2 channel system as you say I would CERTAINLY get the Boston. It is just plain old more musical. I find that the Monito Digms' are not very musical. They are great for HT but they just don't have that nice detailed/full sound that is needed for the demands of 2 cahnnel music. I think a better comparison would be the Digm' Studio 40 vs the VR1's. I compared the VR3's with Studio 6's with an HK receiver pre and Rotel amp and that was a real tossup. Paradigm make fabulous speakers and I recommend them VERY often, but Boston offers every bit the bang for the buck that Paradigm is so popular for.

RichardCK

Grip
I just bought a set of vr1's along with a vrc and a set of cr-65's. I am very impressed withthe sound. I walked in magnolia just to listen to the MA's demod them side by side and walked out with the Bostons. To me (and my wife surprisingly) the bostons were the best. I plan to upgrade to the Marantz 7500 so thats what I auditioned them with. But at home I have an HK running pre to an HK citation 19 amp and it sounds great too.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Paradigm and Boston both make excellent speakers. Buy the ones you like the best. I prefer the Paradigm sound, but that doesn't mean you will.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
My final choices in speakers were Boston (VR-Ms) and Paradigm (Studio Reference series) and, as much as I like the Paradigms, I liked the Bostons even more. Initially, I was looking at the Monitor line from Paradigm and the step up from them to the Studio series is bigger, to my ears, than the step up from the VR to the VR-M line in the Bostons. In the end, let your ears decide (and each of these four lines is very good, so no matter what you choose, you'll do well).

If possible (and I know it can be a hassle) try to arrange to take each pair home and do a side by side comparison (I was able to do that with a number of speakers, thanks to a store with great service). At the very least, audition them with music that you know intimately. Happy speaker hunting.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Also take lots of notes on your impressions while listening. This can help later.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
great advice so far, I also suggest a nice long listening session with each speaker, and play the same songs, listen to complete songs. Another thing to consider is if you could get both for an in-home trial and compare side by side in your room, that would be ideal.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
wow thanks guys for the input!!!! I think what im going to do is talk the two salesmen into letting me take them home and do the side by side comparision. it shouldn't be too hard because they both realize that they wouldn't settle for any less if they were going to be buying speakers for themselves.

I love this forum!!! so many people that are willing and some that even love to help eachother so that we can all do whats most important. enjoy the music and movies we love.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Another vote for the Boston VRs, FWIW, but I would highly suggest the VR3 instead of the VR1 for 2 channel music if you can swing them.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
ok guys for all the input you put in i feel you deserve a close to this story. i decided Deffinately on the HK 3380. I bought that and the Paradigms from one store. drove across town and picked up a pair of bostons. brought them home and hooked up the whole thing up with two pairs of the same copper core wire so it was a fair fight. by chance my sister and her boyfriend were at my house so i got their opnion as well as my girlfriend's and my parents. almost imidiately all but my sister and girlfriend chose the bostons. they were a much clearer fuller sound. the Digms in comparo sounded like there was a blanket over them. we returned the digms and i am enjoying my bostons a great deal. the only thing that worries me is that the two people with acutal musical ears and talent (my sister and girlfriend) chose the digms... oh well i felt the bostons were better speakers, and they were cheaper too. One more big thanks to you guys for all your help and input this is the only forum that i am kinda sorta active in. everyone is so professional and helpful its very easy to ask for assistace.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
FANTASTIC JOB NICK!! Not on the choice (although you made the right choice ;)) but HOW you made the decision. You did it the right way!! So many people ask what we think then buy that. You got our opinions and went and did it yourself and listened to your ears. Sure it was inconveient but I bet you had a good time ryin them out and you probably will do the same thing when it is time to upgrade.

Enjoy those Bostons!! I love mine. I have always owned Bostons. I have had A70's (14 years old and STILL sound great), System 9000II's, VR950's, 965's a VRC, Vr920 and now I have the Vr3's. Every single time I bought a new set I auditioned them against others.....Digm', Polk, Def techs,B&W etc....and ALWAYS go back to Boston. Not that those other brands are bad......I just love that Boston Sound.....

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently auditioning speakers as I am not satisfied with what I am currently running. Has anyone heard the Boston VRB? It seems the tower VR series has gotten much more attention

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
I actually tested the VRB before i got the VR1's. they are very similar to the VR1's in sound. the sounds is not quite as full as the big bro but it still sounds great. (sent chills down my spine)

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Nick - your general impression is very similar to mine. I compared VR3s to Studio 40s and the VR3s were much clearer and more natural sounding - studios sounded like they had a blanket over them as you mentioned and also sounded boxy. More detailed impressions here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6481340

I didn't get to hear the VR1s but I know they lack the 4.5" midrange. You might want to consider a 3rd VR1 for your center down the road as the VRC is made up entirely of the 4.5" drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks