-

Photo
- - - - -

Hitchcock screenshot contest

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted November 28 2005 - 10:21 PM

There’s been at least some interest lately in having another screenshot contest, so here goes. This one is an all-Hitchcock contest, which may be pretty easy or pretty hard depending on how much Hitchcock you’ve seen. I’m assuming that there are enough folks around here familiar enough with Hitch to make this worthwhile.

Each screenshot will be worth a different amount of points, depending on how easy or hard the shot is, and how well-known or obscure the film itself is. So, an easy shot from a well-known film is worth the least, and a hard shot from an obscure film is worth the most. I’ll post one shot each day, and wait 1 week before posting the answer. Send me a private message with the # of the shot, and your guess of the film sometime before I reveal the answer for that film. There’s no deduction for guessing, so that’s always a good idea. I won’t reveal how many points a shot is worth until I give the answer, since the points might reveal something about the film.

Please don’t discuss the shots here in the thread, at least until I’ve revealed the answer. Some films will get featured more than once, and others not at all, so you can’t simply cross films off once they’ve been used. How long the contest will go depends on how much interest there is. I’ve set this up with a week’s delay in the first answer in part to give people time to find out about the game, without falling behind. So, let anyone who you think might want to play to know about it.

These shots will range the gamut from very easy to very hard, with most somewhere in between. So hopefully it’ll be challenging without being too frustrating. A casual Hitchcock fan should be able to get quite a few right, and a major Hitchcock expert will almost certainly miss a number of shots. But the important thing is to have fun.

Here’s shot #1:
There’s been at least some interest lately in having another screenshot contest, so here goes. This one is an all-Hitchcock contest, which may be pretty easy or pretty hard depending on how much Hitchcock you’ve seen. I’m assuming that there are enough folks around here familiar enough with Hitch to make this worthwhile.

Each screenshot will be worth a different amount of points, depending on how easy or hard the shot is, and how well-known or obscure the film itself is. So, an easy shot from a well-known film is worth the least, and a hard shot from an obscure film is worth the most. I’ll post one shot each day, and wait 1 week before posting the answer. Send me a private message with the # of the shot, and your guess of the film sometime before I reveal the answer for that film. There’s no deduction for guessing, so that’s always a good idea. I won’t reveal how many points a shot is worth until I give the answer, since the points might reveal something about the film.

Please don’t discuss the shots here in the thread, at least until I’ve revealed the answer. Some films will get featured more than once, and others not at all, so you can’t simply cross films off once they’ve been used. How long the contest will go depends on how much interest there is. I’ve set this up with a week’s delay in the first answer in part to give people time to find out about the game, without falling behind. So, let anyone who you think might want to play to know about it.

These shots will range the gamut from very easy to very hard, with most somewhere in between. So hopefully it’ll be challenging without being too frustrating. A casual Hitchcock fan should be able to get quite a few right, and a major Hitchcock expert will almost certainly miss a number of shots. But the important thing is to have fun.

Here’s shot #1:
Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#2 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted November 29 2005 - 10:06 PM

Shot #2:

Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#3 of 69 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 04:24 AM

Great idea, George! I'm definitely game for this one.

#4 of 69 OFFLINE   Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 03:46 PM

I'm in.

George, perhaps you could bump one of your old screenshot contests to raise awareness among those who may still have active e-mail subscriptions to the old contest, but don't check the Polls Area often.

I haven't been in Polls for weeks and just happened to check this evening!

Thanks, George.

No clue on either of the first two, but I'll take guesses for sure.

JKS
You brought two too many.

#5 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 10:20 PM

George, perhaps you could bump one of your old screenshot contests to raise awareness among those who may still have active e-mail subscriptions to the old contest, but don't check the Polls Area often.
Unfortunately they don't exist anymore. At least I can't find them. So, I'm just relying on people to pass the info along to those they think might be interested. The first answer won't be revealed until next Tuesday.

Shot #3:

Posted Image

#6 of 69 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 09:01 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#7 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 12:43 PM

OK,

Just a couple of points of clarification.

You can vote for any of the shots until I reveal the answer. So, some of you who've come in late, and only given me a guess on #3, there's still time to submit answers for #1 and #2.

You can change your vote at any time until I reveal the answer. The last guess you send me prior to my revealing the answer will be your official guess.

#8 of 69 OFFLINE   Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 06:25 PM

Hey George,

WRT this contest, any idea how you'll deal with the Forum upgrade if it actually happens this weekend?

Just curious.

JKS

#9 of 69 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,143 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 01 2005 - 06:36 PM

i noticed it on the main page in the latest posts area.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 10:21 PM

any idea how you'll deal with the Forum upgrade if it actually happens this weekend?
I guess it depends on what exactly the effects are. Unless the upgrade takes a lot longer than expected, I don't see it as a problem, though.

#11 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 10:22 PM

Shot #4:

Posted Image

#12 of 69 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 04:37 AM

My new wallpaper!
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#13 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 03 2005 - 12:20 AM

Shot #5:

Posted Image

#14 of 69 OFFLINE   Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 06:50 AM

Now what? Can I still change my answer to Shot #1 now since it hasn't been "revealed" yet?? Posted Image

George, when you get a chance, let us know what the next play is.

Thanks!

JKS

#15 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 08:21 AM

Here is shot #6 reposted:

Posted Image

#16 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 08:22 AM

Here is shot #7 reposted:

Posted Image

#17 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 08:23 AM

And here is shot #8:

Posted Image

#18 of 69 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 08:31 AM

I had already revealed the answer to shot #1: Dial M for Murder (4 points).

Correct answers:

haggai
kevin m
bill mca
patrick mason

Other guesses:

stage fright
to catch a thief
torn curtain (x2)
under capricorn

Here is the answer for shot #2:

Foreign Correspondent (9 points)

Correct answers:

haggai
david mahlan
kevin m

Other guesses:

lifeboat (x7)
jamaica inn

Total scores so far after 2 shots:

13 - kevin m
13 - haggai
9 - david mahlan
4 - patrick mason
4 - bill mca
0 - marc fedderman
0 - jeremy stockwell
0 - elizabeth s
0 - doug irving
0 - brook
0 - adam s

Now, I may have lost some pms in the big crash. So, here is a list of people for whom I don't have a guess for one or more of the shots from #3 to #7:

Brook - missing #7
Elizabeth - missing #6 & #7
David - missing #6 & #7
Kevin - missing #5, #6 & #7
Bill - missing #7
Jeremy - missing #6
Doug - missing #5 & #6
Jeremy - missing #6 & #7

I have recieved everyone's #3, which will be revealed tomorrow, and after that no one will have 0 points anymore (number 2 was a tricky one). Posted Image

#19 of 69 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,111 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 09:24 AM

I was about 90% sure those actors weren't in Lifeboat but I couldn't figure out another guess (never seen Foreign Correspondent).

#20 of 69 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted December 08 2005 - 09:31 AM

Adam, Foreign Correspondent is great! One of my 10 or 12 favorite Hitchcock movies. There are a few rather, um, large plot holes, but it's very funny and exciting. Definitely a must see.