What's new

digital coax to anolog? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
My g/f bought her son a TV/DVD combo for X-Mas...and I found that it only has a Digital Coax output. The reciever he has is only pro-logic and has no digital inputs. How can I connect the TV to this receiver?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
there should be a Red and White RCA for stereo audio out which can be connected to the receiver. He will not be able to benefit from the multichannel DD/DTS tracks though (I'll recommend a $230 investment in a new Panasonic XR55 receiver from Amazon to replace the pro-logic receiver, or even some Panasonic XR25 off ebay now going very low)

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I thought there should be the red/white connection also, but there aren't any. The reason I want him to use the pro/logic receiver is because I gave him a complete surround sound set-up with components that were made on or around the year he was born. I'de really like to keep the receiver and other stuff(speakers, stands,laserdisc player) in line.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's really an odd reason to forego a receiver with digital capability... I haven't seen anything inexpensive that does what you are asking. Are you talking about a RF connection? If it doesn't have stereo analog output, it would seem a digital connection wouldn't be likely either.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I guess the only recourse you have is to return the combo and see if you can find one with the red/white outputs.

If that’s the case, you might go ahead and get a separate TV and DVD player. It shouldn’t be hard to find the pair for about the same price as the one, but even if it’s a little more money it’s a better route. Combos are a bad idea, IMO. The reason is that the TV section will probably last between 10-20 years, but the player (which has mechanical moving parts), with regular use, won’t last anything near that long. Plus (as you have seen) there’re really limited on connection options. Just make sure the TV has at least one video input connection.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
The connector it has is not an RF connector...it's the orange colored coax input. I guess he'll justhave to tough it out with just the speaker on the TV. Thanks for the input guys....
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It seems to me that you want the pro-logic receiver, more than he does. Why don't you put it in your bedroom, and give him a decent digital receiver? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks