Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

digital coax to anolog?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted November 27 2005 - 11:09 PM

My g/f bought her son a TV/DVD combo for X-Mas...and I found that it only has a Digital Coax output. The reciever he has is only pro-logic and has no digital inputs. How can I connect the TV to this receiver?
On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted November 28 2005 - 12:42 AM

there should be a Red and White RCA for stereo audio out which can be connected to the receiver. He will not be able to benefit from the multichannel DD/DTS tracks though (I'll recommend a $230 investment in a new Panasonic XR55 receiver from Amazon to replace the pro-logic receiver, or even some Panasonic XR25 off ebay now going very low)
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted November 28 2005 - 06:02 AM

I thought there should be the red/white connection also, but there aren't any. The reason I want him to use the pro/logic receiver is because I gave him a complete surround sound set-up with components that were made on or around the year he was born. I'de really like to keep the receiver and other stuff(speakers, stands,laserdisc player) in line. Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 28 2005 - 06:41 AM

That's really an odd reason to forego a receiver with digital capability... I haven't seen anything inexpensive that does what you are asking. Are you talking about a RF connection? If it doesn't have stereo analog output, it would seem a digital connection wouldn't be likely either.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 28 2005 - 06:46 AM

I guess the only recourse you have is to return the combo and see if you can find one with the red/white outputs.

If that’s the case, you might go ahead and get a separate TV and DVD player. It shouldn’t be hard to find the pair for about the same price as the one, but even if it’s a little more money it’s a better route. Combos are a bad idea, IMO. The reason is that the TV section will probably last between 10-20 years, but the player (which has mechanical moving parts), with regular use, won’t last anything near that long. Plus (as you have seen) there’re really limited on connection options. Just make sure the TV has at least one video input connection.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted November 28 2005 - 01:08 PM

The connector it has is not an RF connector...it's the orange colored coax input. I guess he'll justhave to tough it out with just the speaker on the TV. Thanks for the input guys....Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted November 29 2005 - 12:41 AM

You only option is to buy an outboard decoder. Creative makes one for about $100.
The only way to safely double your money is to fold it over once and place it back in your pocket.

http://www.cube17576.com

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted November 30 2005 - 02:36 AM

It seems to me that you want the pro-logic receiver, more than he does. Why don't you put it in your bedroom, and give him a decent digital receiver? Posted Image
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 09:36 AM

LOL..Was it really that obvious? Posted ImagePosted Image