What's new

Which SD memory card? (1 Viewer)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I just picked up a Nikon CoolPix 4600 and need a secure digital memory card for it, probably 512MB or 1 GB. Should I get a high speed card, or is a standard card sufficient? Any particular brand(s) to look at, or just as important, to avoid? TIA.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think if you get SD card rated at 60X or above, you'll be okay. I have a couple of the SanDisk Ultra II SD cards, and an ATP SD card. Each is rated for 60X or faster. Don't get the SanDisk SD card (normal, blue packaging, not the black used for their Ultra line), those are slower cards (and thus cheaper, on the whole).

The higher rated speed also better if you use your camera is capable of recording video. I have a Canon S2, which allows me to capture 640x480 30fps video, so a fast card helps.

I've been cautioned to stay away from the Lexar SD cards (via reviews from the past year).

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I just purchased a Canon A610 and I need to buy SD Memory as well. What are the specs/speed I should be looking for ?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I just got a 1GB Kingston SD card from Buy.com 49.95, less a rebate of $10, makes it a great deal for only 39.95.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Think it might be standard, at least I couldn't find anything on the package that said High Speed.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
Ridata and a-data make pretty decent stuff for low cost, they are 20 bucks for 1gig at newegg. I use them in a Canon A620. Ive also have had great luck with kingstons sd memory which has a great lifetime warranty as well.

p.s. the ridata 150X 1gig module is $21.19 at newegg.com here is the link;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820183183 pretty sweet price and they have many others in the same price range $17-21

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Interesting article from David Pogue, Technology Editor of the New York Times, Nov 8 2006. He wrote to Canon asking for their opinion of high speed memory cards.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Here is another question:

1 x 2GB (Sandisk) vs 2 x 1GB (PNY) ?

Either option is $30 today at Best Buy.

I bought the 2GB, but I am thinking since I am gonna be away for nearly a month with no possibility of replacing it should it go kapput (how often does this happen?) perhaps I should get two of the 1GB instead?

--
H

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Sandisk is definitely the more established, name brand here. For cameras I would be less concerned, but I have a LG cell phone that seems to accept only Sandisk cards (micro SD format). If price is equal, by all means get Sandisk.

As for 1 x 2 GB or 2 x 1 GB, I think it's a matter of personal preference. These cards are pretty reliable, and as long as you don't expose them to excessive heat or humidity, they should be fine. Sandisk sells a higher grade card called "Extreme III" for these uses. The risk of malfunction is probably higher with the camera than with the memory card. I would go with the 2 GB for convenience (less swapping and misplacement) but normally I also carry a spare empty card.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I prefer to spread things out on more cards. Just the paranoid in me, in case a card dies or something else goes wrong. It does happen.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
When I bought my Canon S3 I also picked up a Transcend SD 4GB 150x card. It worked great for burst shooting and movies with the S3 while we were on Maui.

When we got home I was able to download almost 700 super-fine photos is less than 5 minutes. A 2GB card would probably have been big enough, the card was less than half full. Also, I had to download through the camera, my card reader wouldn't recognized the 4GB card. The reader did not have a problem with a 2GB Transcend card I also have.

marc

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dan,

Are you still using the S3? I just bought one and love it. You said you bought a Nikon and was just curious if something went wrong with the S3.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Hi Mark,

I am definitely still using the S3 and am very happy with it. I purchased the Nikon over a year ago, as a stop-gap replacement for my film SLR, which has a broken shutter. My wife is now the primary user of the Nikon.

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Costco currently has a great deal on memory cards. The Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB SD card is $46.99 - $19.00 instant rebate = $27.99 pay at cashier (minus $20 mail-in rebate = $7.99 final price), limit 3, good until 12/30/06.

They also have cuts on the 2 GB and other formats but the discounts were not as good. The above is good in B&M stores only. The online store usually has different prices.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I bought a Kingston 1GB SD card for my wife's new Canon SD800 for under $20 shipped at newegg.com -- and no rebate required. Newegg has great prices on SD and Compact Flash memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks