What's new

Any update on Toshiba 50H81 availability? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
To finally end my widescreen HDTV saga with Best Buy, I am waiting for this TV to come into stock...
Does anyone have an update on the availability date of this TV?
Thanks!
------------------

CameronS

Supporting Actor
The warehouses still have nothing, and when you try to place an order in the system it tells you that it is on "Backorder" (which just means the warehouse the store has to order from does not have it in stock).
Actually, you could go ahead and buy the thing at your local Best Buy, and you would get one of the first to come in.
If the clerk doesn't know what to do, tell him the SKU # for the 50H81 is 4172004.
My guess is Late July/Early August.
icon14.gif

------------------
campic07.jpg

CameronS

Supporting Actor
By the way, here are the SKUs for the other models as well:
  • 42H81 - 4171997
  • 50H81 - 4172004
  • 57H81 - 4172013
They can look this up by model number, but I thought this might save some time since, you know, all Best Buy employees are like, dumb and stuff.
rolleyes.gif

And I think most people know this, but a sure fire way to get "top-quality" service at Best Buy is to come right out and say you will definitely buy the 4-year Service Plan.
tongue.gif

------------------
campic07.jpg

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Actually, I already had the SKU number for the 50H81, and we (the manager and I) found it in the system...
The problem is that the system won't let us make a purchase/delivery order with it right now because it is not in stock yet. So, I am calling him every couple of days to check...
BTW, I already purchased the 4 year PSP, and will on the 50H81 too. :)
------------------

Do they have the prices these will be selling for in the computers yet? If anyone has access to this, I'd apprechiate it.
------------------
Nate Thompson

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Regular prices are as follows:
  • 42H81 - $2299
  • 50H81 - $2499
  • 57H81 - $2999
The 50H81 should be available first, the 57H81 sometime in August, and the 42H81 not until September-ish. They still have a lot of 40H80s.
------------------
campic07.jpg

Faz Azad

Auditioning
Are those MSRP prices or Best Buy prices? If they're MSRP, then you will be able to get them below those prices.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
They are Best Buy's regular prices for the sets. But, of course, you should be able to get them a little cheaper when they run various sales each week.

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. That's not a bad price. Has anyone placed a order for it at that price? I'm trying to decide between the 50H81 and the 47WX49.
I'm concerned that the Panny isn't very tweakable. On the Toshiba I'm worried that all the improvements may only be in the HX line. I may not even have a local dealer that carries the HX line..
I sure don't want a set that looks worse then my TW40X81 and how can you ever compare home sets with those horribly calibrated store sets. My TW40X81 looks completly horrid in Best Buy.
Ryan
------------------

Bac Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a lot of people are in this boat...for those of you who purchase the 50H81, we're gonna need really detailed reviews!

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------I'm trying to decide between the 50H81 and the 47WX49.
------------------------------------------------------------
Me also. If the price on the 50H81 is correct it's pretty good as my local Sears has it listed at $2595. Although I was told that will be it's maximum price.
At least at Sears there is a $500 difference in price here. That would sway me towards the Pannasonic. But I'll be keeping track of the tweakability before I buy anything.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Where are the sets you ask?
Well, what apparently happened was that the trucks loaded up with 50H81's were on their way to the various distribution centers, but were suddenly recalled to the plant when Toshiba QA discovered a problem with the power switch (or powering on the set or something related to power anyway).
They all need to undergo what's apparently a very quick fix, but the factory was closed for the July 4th holiday until just yesterday (the 9th).
The trucks are expected back on the road late this week, so they should start popping up in store next week.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
"Supposedly" he owns a home theater shop called Next Big Thing Electronics, but from what I hear, that's only a front.
You see, JohnnyG grew up in a small town.....................[omitted irrelevant life story info]......................................and then after a brief stint with the Federal Protection Agency here in the states, he decided to use he forces for good. He was hired by an anonymous source to track down various missing HDTVs, and now passes this info along to us, the good citizens of the Home Theater Forum.
Thanks JohnnyG! :)
------------------
campic07.jpg

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Thanks Cameron! I'm tired of telling the story myself :)
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone please tell me the differences between the **H80 and the **H81? I recently purchased a 56H80 and am now wondering if I should have waited for the 56H81.
------------------
At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks