What's new

Bewitched Season 3 (1 Viewer)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
It's been a little over a month since the AWESOME second season of BW was released and I'm anxious to hear when Season 3 will be released.

I believe that many of us became familiar with BW starting with the third season as the first two seasons weren't seen on TV after their original run a lot as they were in black and white.

Season 3 brings a lot of changes for the show. First, and foremost, this is the first season to be originally filmed in C
OLO R.

We are also introduced to Sandra Gould as Gladys Kravitz and Kasey Rogers as Louise Tate. The original Mrs. Kravitz, Alice Pearce, had passed away the previous season due to cancer and the original Louise, Irene Vernon, left the series to persue a career in real estate.

Also twins Erin and Diane Murphy begin their time as Tabatha. Eventually as they get older Erin will completely take over the role as she resembles Elizabeth Montgomery more than her sister.

At the very end of the season we are also introduced to a new character, one of my favorites, Dr. Bombay played by Bernard Fox.

The furniture is also updated all through the house. The master bedroom is also renovated so that instead of the head of the bed resting against a half wall with a closet behind that, there is just a wall.

Here is a listing of the awesome Season Three episodes and their original airdates, which Sony regrettably doesn't include in the DVD releases:

#75: "Nobody's Perfect" - Sept. 15, 1966
Samantha discovers that Tabatha is VERY much her daughter, if you know what I mean.

#76: "The Moment of Truth" - Sept. 22, 1966
While celebrating their second anniversary with the Tates, Durweed finds out that Tabatha is VERY much her mother's daughter. This is the first appearance of Kasey Rogers as Louise Tate. Also David White, who played Larry, had a son in real life named Jonathan.

#77: "Witches and Warlocks Are My Favorite Things" - Sept. 29, 1966
Tabatha's powers are tested by a Witches' Coven and it is decided that her care and upbringing will be taken over by Aunt Hagatha...that is until Samantha gets her father, Maurice involved.

#78: "Accidental Twins" - Oct. 6, 1966
Aunt Clara babysits Tabatha and Jonathan Tate and while entertaining them with magic produces a twin of Jonathan.
(This was the first episode Kasey Rogers filmed as Louise).

#79: A Most Unusual Wood Nymph" - Oct. 13, 1966
Geri O'Toole, a 'friend' of Durweed's family, comes to visit and Samantha finds out that she really is a witch hating wood nymph come to carry out a curse on Durweed.

#80: "Endora Moves In For A Spell" - Oct. 20, 1966
Endora and her brother Arthur argue over who is the bigger bad influence on Tabatha. To make sure Arthur isn't around her a lot, Endora zaps up a home for herself on a corner lot across from 1164 Morning Glory Circle, much to the shock of Gladys Kravitz. This marks the second appearance of Uncle Arthur in the series. This is also the first appearance of Sandra Gould as Mrs. Kravitz.

#81: "Twitch or Treat" - Oct. 27, 1966
Endora decides to hold her Halloween party at Durweed and Samantha's.

#82: "Dangerous Diaper Dan" - Nov. 3, 1966
The diaper service man drops off a baby rattle that is bugged so that a competing ad agency can steal all of McMann & Tate's business.

#83: "The Short Happy Circuit of Aunt Clara" - Nov. 10, 1966
When trying to move a piano upstairs while babysitting, Aunt Clara accidentally knocks out power on the entire Easter Seaboard! New York experienced a blackout ike this one year earlier on 11/9/65 and just a couple years ago the Eastern Seaboard again had their power knocked out.

#84: "I'd Rather Twitch Than Fight" - Nov. 17, 1966
When Samantha gives away one of Durweed's favorite ugly sports coats, they get in a huge fight, and each turn to one of the Tate's for advice. Endora decides to help Samantha out by zapping up Sigmund Freud.

#85: "Oedipus Hex" - Nov. 24, 1966
Endora zaps a bowl of popcorn with a lazy spell which affects Durweed and all the other mortals who come in contact with it.

#86: "Sam's Spooky Chair" - Dec. 1, 1966
Samantha buys an antique chair which turns out to be more than just a chair...it's someone she used to know! And, of course, a visiting client's wife wants the chair.

#87: "My Friend Ben" - Dec. 8, 1966 (Part One)
While trying to zap up an electrician, Aunt Clara gets the original electrician, Benjamin Franklin, who immediately gets himself in trouble when he wrecks an old fire engine dedicated to himself. This was the first episode to be filmed in color and the first episode that Sandra Gould filmed as Gladys.

#88: "Samantha For The Defense" - Dec. 15, 1966 (Part Two)
Samantha has to fight for Ben Franklin in court to get the charges of theft for stealing a fire engine dropped as Aunt Clara tries to remember how to send him back.

#89: "A Gazebo Never Forgets" - Dec. 22, 1966
Tabatha covets a pink polka dotted elephant toy she sees in the park with Samantha and Aunt Clara, so her wish is granted by Aunt Clara...except she zaps up a LIVE pink polka dotted elephant. This episode marks the first of 14 episodes Dick York (Durweed, uh, Darrin!) would miss due to a back injury he acquired filming the 1959 movie "They Came to Cordura". His absences would eventually lead to his leaving the series at the end of the fifth season.

#90: "Soap Box Derby" - Dec. 29, 1966
Sam helps a neighborhood boy prepare for the Soap Box derby. If Sony knew what they were doing, they would produce a featurette for this episode as the BW crew actually went to Akron, OH for the Soap Box Derby that took place there. I know there were articles about it and possibly even news casts.

#91: "Sam in the Moon" - Jan. 5, 1967
When Samantha brushes off a newscast about a moon landing, flippantly stating she's been there, Durweed begins to worry that she may actually be telling the truth, especially after he finds what he believes to be a packet of moon dust. It's actually Japanese warlock tea that Samantha picked up on a shopping excursion with her mother.

#92: "Ho Ho the Clown" - Jan. 12, 1967
Samantha, Endora and Tabatha attend a live taping of a kid's clown show that Durweed's client is sponsoring. When Tabatha is excluded from a contest on the show because her father is the ad man for the show, Endora makes the clown infactuated with Tabatha and he refuses to go on the air unless she is in the audience of every show.

#93: "Super Car" - Jan. 19, 1967.
To try and make peace with her son-in-law, Endora zaps up a new space age car Durwood had been eyeing in a magazine. Of course, he gets furious when he finds out that she's actually taken THE car (it was a proto-type) from it's creators.

#94: "The Corn is as High as a Guernsey's Eye" - Jan. 26, 1967
Samantha thinks Aunt Clara has turned herself into a cow based on remarks she had made earlier about wanting to turn herself into something useful. The cow that Samantha thinks is Aunt Clara is really the mascot for a dairy company that was at Durwood's office building for a promotion.

#95: "The Trial and Error of Aunt Clara" - Feb. 2, 1967
The witches' coven, headed by Endora, decides to put Aunt Clara on trial to decide whether she should be made earthbound when they see that her powers are getting worse.

#96: "Three Wishes" - Feb. 9, 1967
Endora gives Durwood three wishes unbenowst to him to prove to Samantha that he would use them for selfish reasons.

#97: "I Remember You...Sometimes" - Feb. 16, 1967
Endora zaps a total recall spell on Durwood's watch, which makes him a great irritation to everyone he comes in contact with, especially a client who prides himself on having a perfect memory.

#98: "Art For Sam's Sake" - Feb. 23, 1967
Endora, disgusted at Samantha's amateurish attempts at an oil painting, switches her daughter's painting with that of a professional artists. That painting then goes on to win in a charity auction and is bought by a client of Durwood's.

#99: "Charlie Harper, Winner" - March 2, 1967
Durwood's old college pal, Charlie, blows back in town and is still more successful at everything than Durwood. In order to impress Charlie's arrogant wife, Samantha zaps up a fur coat for herself, which hurts Durwood's pride as he feels that she must think he is failure if he can't provide her with the things she wants. In order to show him that she doesn't want anything but him, Samantha gives the coat to Charlie's wife, who had been lusting after it.

#100: "Aunt Clara's Victoria Victory" - March 9, 1967
When Aunt Clara reminnces about her days in Queen Victoria's court, she decides to go back there but instead brings the Queen to the present. This is the second episode DY missed.

#101: "The Crone of Cawdor" - March 16, 1967
Samantha has to prevent Durwood from kissing a hot client who is really the Crone of Cawdor in disguise. If he does kiss her she'll remain young and he will instantly age 500 years. This was one of EM's favorite episodes.

#102: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" - March 23, 1967
Endora casts a spell on Durwood making everyone hate him.

#103: "It's Wishcraft" - March 30, 1967
When Durwood's parents visit, Samantha has her hands full trying to cover up Tabatha's newly acquired "wishcraft" (whatever she wishes for she gets) and keep Endora and Mrs. Stephens from ripping each other to shreds.

#104: "How to Fail in Business With All Kinds of Help" - April 6, 1967
Durwood thinks Madame Marush-KA, a dramatic client, is Endora in disguise causing McMann & Tate to lose her multi-million dollar account.

#105: "Bewitched, Bothered and Infuriated" - April 14, 1967
When Aunt Clara zaps up a newspaper, Samantha and Durwood think it's from the next day, and are worried by it's headline about Larry Tate breaking his leg on his honeymoon, a trip that the Tates just went on. Durwood decides he wants to prevent his boss, and friend, from this injury and allows Samantha to use whatever witchcraft she needs in order to stop this from happening. They pop over to the honeymoon retreat and get in the Tates' hair only to find out that Larry broke his leg ten years ago on their honeymoon, that this trip was to make up for that one.

#106: "Nobody But a Frog Knows How to Live" - April 27, 1967
Fergus, a frog turned into a man, seeks Samantha's help in turning him back into a frog.

#107: "There's Gold in Them There Pills" - May 4, 1967
When Durwood catches a cold, Endora calls upon the family witch doctor, Dr. Bombay, to come cure him, which he does with a pill. Durwood gives one to a sick Larry who is also instantly cured. They decide to market the pill only to find out that it has the side effect of making your voice really high pitched. This is the first episode Dr. Bombay appears in though it's the second Bernard Fox is in. He was in the s.2 episode "Disappearing Samantha" as the witch hunter, Osgood Rightmeyer.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Also, here is a list of the extras that should be included instead of those silly "blooper" reels!
  • Original Sponsor openings and end credits with the "Bewitched has been brought to you by..." interstitials as well as "Bewitched Will Be Back" cartoon interstitial on every episode.
  • Screen Gems and ABC tags.
  • "Bewitched, Next in Color" opening card.
  • Aunt Jemima Syrup commericial starring Samantha, Darrin and Larry Tate.
  • The end scene to Ep. #80: "Endora Moves in for a Spell" which shows the cartoon Samantha with subtitles that say "Next Week: Endora's Halloween Party" with Elizabeth Montgomery saying, "By all means, please come! Incidentally it's 'Twitch or Treat'" at which point she laughs.
  • Both versions of the commercial where they show Tabatha levitating her toys.
  • EM's Christmas US Savings bond commercial filmed in the 1164 living room with a Christmas tree though there wasn't a Christmas episode this season.
  • Quaker Quisp and Quake cereal commercial starring EM where the characters argue at the end over who loves Liz more! Cute!
  • Quaker Instant Oatmeal commercial starring Samantha and Darrin.
  • The ABC Thursday night lineup commercial filmed on the BW set with EM, Judy Carne (Love on a Rooftop) and Marlo Thomas (That Girl).
  • The commercial where the announcer says that every moment around the bewitching Stephens' home is like Halloween.
  • The episode of "The Hollywood Palace" EM hosted on October 1, 1966 with guest stars Vic Damone, Jackie Mason, and BW guest star Paul Lynde. She and Paul Lynde appear in two very funny skits together and she and Vic sing and dance to the BW theme song, with the rarely heard lyrics to the song being sung!
  • 1967 ABC Tournament of Roses Parade promo
  • EM and AM's appearances on Password

Of course this is EXTREMELY wishful thinking...it makes me wish Image had done these BW sets seeing as how they did an AWESOME job with the Dick Van Dyke Show sets.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
"10-4" on wanting BW S3 :emoji_thumbsup:

I also wish Image had done the B & W seasons. Along with Dick Van Dyke, they've done an excellent job with the Twilight Zone and Combat! serie's.

I didn't know that it wasn't until the end of S3 that "Dr Bombay" was introduced in the series. Thanks for the info and a fantastic post :emoji_thumbsup: . Dr Bombay's also in my top list of favorite recurring characters in this series.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I am definately wanting season 3 also... for some reason I was thinking season 3 was also in B&W. If not... atleast I don't have to worry about the online store accidentally sending me the wrong version! Even though I got the first 2 seasons in B&W ok. :)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
This may be inappropriate since this is a discussion of S3 but did Dick York leave or was he fired? I have seen some quotes that suggest York's leaving was not voluntary but the generic answer is that he left after S5.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, David, you really work in writing posts for Bewitched, don't you? I mean with all the detailed episode write-ups, cast info, colour pictures, interesting facts and possible DVD bonus features for the upcoming sets. I love reading them, and I really appreciate all the work you do for it.
-James

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

According to the man himself, in his published memoirs titled The Seesaw Girl and Me Dick York says that he resigned. He collapsed on the set while filming what ended up being Ep. #167: "Daddy Does His Thing" which is an odd little episode. It begins with Samantha and Darrin celebrating his birthday and she tells him that she has a gift for both of them and then we never hear what it is because the rest of the episode Durwood spends as a mule courtesy of "Daddy" for refusing a magical lighter. But the way DY describes the episode it sounds like the script was supposed to follow what eventually became Episode #180: "Daddy Comes to Visit" and #181: "Darrin the Warlock" filmed with Dick Sargent. DY says that when he collapsed he was sitting on scaffolding with Maurice Evans. The scene was supposed to be Durwood and Maurice floating in the air. He says he hadn't been feeling good anyway and with all the light checks and stuff it got him really sick and he passed out. In the hospital, Bill Asher, the show's director and EM's husband at the time, came to vist and this is what Dick York wrote:

...Bill Asher comes to the hospital and he says, "What do you want to do, Dick? Do you want to quit?" I said, "If it's all right with you, Billy." He looked at me, and I guess he and Joey [Dick's wife]had talked, and I guess Bill knew when people had enough, and he said, "OK, kid, I'll tell 'em."

And Bill Asher and I hugged for the first time.

So I believe that he quit of his own free will, that he was man enough to realize that he was hindering the show by not being there all the time, though he did tell Herbie J Pilato (author of Bewitched Forever) that he had wanted the summer of '69 to rest up and he could've came back, but reading how his life went there was no way he could've been back at full speed over just one summer.

By the way, that book is available directly from Newpath Press, the publisher.

I also should mention that out of his 14 absences, two were for time off for when his father died.

I'm glad you guys like reading this stuff that swirls around in my brain LOL This forum is an outlet for it...I always hope, though, that someone from Sony will read and take my ideas for the DVDs seriously.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Out of the 33 episodes from Season 3, a little over 1/2 of them have not been available on video and those episodes are:

#82: "Dangerous Diaper Dan"
#83: "The Short Happy Circuit of Aunt Clara"
#85: "Oedipus Hex"
#86: "Sam's Spooky Chair"
#89: "A Gazebo Never Forgets"
#90: "Soap Box Derby"
#91: "Sam in the Moon"
#92: "Ho Ho the Clown"
#93: "Super Car"
#94: "The Corn is as High as a Guernsey's Eye"
#96: "Three Wishes"
#98: "Art For Sam's Sake"
#101: "The Crone of Cawdor"
#102: "No More Mr. Nice Guy"
#104: "How to Fail in Business With All Kinds of Help"
#107: "There's Gold in Them There Pills"

These are the episodes I'm most excited to watch as it'll be like watching a brand new episode seeing EVERY scene that has been cut by either TV Land, Hallmark or the other stations BW has played on over the years.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Guys, shouldn't this topic have a question mark since the season hasn't been announced yet? I clicked on this toipic and said "WTF" thinking that Season 3 had been announced.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
But have the previous posts been disappointing in any way? Was there not a good episode guide and interesting explanation for why Dick York left the show? See, there is value to this thread....

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
yeah but it should have been given a question mark in the title, given the fact that the season has not been announced yet, at least play by the rules.

If you don't know what a question mark looks like ... here is a free one for you:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Let's not argue about ? or ???????????????????????????????. I didn't use one because once it is announced we'll still have a thread discussing it so a ? would be useless.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Look, it's obvious that the third season will be announced soon, and the Bewitched sets are bestsellers. Mark, I mean even if it hasn't been announced, then you could have used your brain and figured out that it will be announced shortly. Besides, who friggin cares about a stupid question mark.
-James

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I'd be interested to know that too...
Oops...I was a little right clicker happy:)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Oh yes! I would say that you can always watch BW and find something new that you didn't notice before. And it's always fun looking for props that were used in different episodes or actors that were used in different episodes.

A really fun thing is to look for the extra actor named Gerald York. He is in practically every episode, more so the later episodes and he hardly ever has speaking lines but he's there. For instance in Season 3 he plays a delivery man in "Charlie Harper, Winner" and in the next episode "Aunt Clara's Victoria Victory" he plays Prince Albert (though not in a can LOL). Victor Mascara, the webmaster of Vic's BW page, has a whole section devoted to Gerald York (no relation to Dick York).

I was thinking of another sort of "first" for BW that happens in this season. With the episode titled "Soap Box Derby" we encounter the first time that the writers begin to recycle plots from earlier episodes, something which unfortunately happened with increasing frequency as the series progressed. So much so that by Season 8 more than 1/2 of those episodes were remakes, sometimes DIRECT (word for word) remakes of earlier episodes. "Soap Box Derby" is a remake of the first season episode "Little Pitchers Have Big Fears". Both episodes involve Samantha helping out a neighborhood boy with a hobby when their single parent doesn't show them any support. In the first season episode it's baseball and in the third season it's the derby. They also both have a scene where Samantha and Durwood are in the stands and they get nervous at the boy almost losing and Samantha wanting to help with witchcraft. Both episodes also have Mrs. Kravitz believing that Samantha is helping with her magic, though Sandra Gould's Mrs. Kravitz is much more mean about it.

There is also the recreation of a scene from the First Season "Help, Help, Don't Save Me" done in Third Season's "Three Wishes" where an invisible Samantha starts packing to leave and Durwood tries to stop her. When she is finished she picks up the suitcase and the makeup case and proceeds to walk towards him and goes right through him, much to his shock. We see the suitcases go down the stairs with Durwood following.

And the same concept in "Three Wishes" was used in the Second Season episode "Double Tate" where Endora gives Durwood three wishes, unbenowst to him, though the episodes are totally different in script and execution.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
I wish we had a release date for this set.

Too bad it won't be released in time for Christmas.It would have made a great item to give as gifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks