What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-29-2005 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie (Mr. & Mrs. Smith - 2005)

– March of the Penguins (2005)

– Mark Zupan (Murderball - 2005)

– Halle Berry (Their Eyes Were Watching God - 2005)

The Prices

TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoCSI: Season 5$62.99$54.99$59.97$59.99$59.99Death to the Supermodels$22.46$19.99$24.97--Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo$19.99$17.99$19.99$19.99-Empire: Complete MiniSeries (2005)$26.99$20.99$19.99--Family Guy: Vol. 3 Season 4$25.99$24.99$27.99$24.99-Frighteners: Unrated Director's Cut$20.23-$19.99--Great Muppet Caper (50th Anniv. Ed.)$13.99$14.99$17.99--**Havoc (R & NR)$13.98$14.99$15.99--Jules Verne Collection$13.99$14.99$15.99--Jurassic Park Adventure Pack$18.99$19.99$19.99$14.99-King Kong vs. Godzilla/KK Escapes$13.99$14.99$17.99--Land Before Time: 2 Mysteries…$13.99$14.99$17.99--Legends of the Fall: Deluxe Edition$13.99$14.99$15.99--Lila Says$26.98$26.99---The Mangler Reborn$24.28$22.99$19.99--**March of the Penguins$16.98$17.99$16.99$16.99$18.99Mission Hill: Complete Series$20.99$26.99$24.99--**Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)$15.98$15.99$13.99$14.99$18.99Mummy Collector’s Set$20.23$19.99$19.99--Muppet Christmas Carol (50th Anniv. Ed.)$14.99$14.99$17.99$14.99-The Muppet Movie (50th Anniv. Edition)$13.99$14.99$17.99--Muppet Treasure Island (50th Ann. Ed.)$14.99$14.99$17.99--Murderball$20.99$22.99$13.99--Project Runway: Season 1$27.99$42.99$34.99--A River Runs Thru It: Deluxe Edition$13.99$14.99$17.99--**Sky High$20.99$17.99$16.99$16.99-Their Eyes Were Watching God$20.99$19.99$19.99$19.99-Till Death Do Us Part (MTV)---$19.99-Tremors Attack Pack$20.23$24.99$19.99--World Series 2005 Chicago vs. Houston$13.99$17.99$15.99--Zatoichi: TV Series Vol. 1$26.95$24.99$19.99--

Individual Titles included in Collections listed above:

Land Before Time: 2 Mysteries Beyond the Great Valley: Land Before Time VI & Land Before Time VII.

Mummy Collector’s Set: The Mummy. The Mummy Returns, The Scorpion King.

Tremors Attack Pack: Tremors, Tremors 2 – Aftershock, Tremors 3 – Back to Perfection, Tremors 4 – The Legend Begins.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! March of the Penguins AND Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) AND Sky High are available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one(s) ! Havoc is being released in both Rated and Unrated versions...get the one that’s right for you !

--Although I guess its arguable, quality wins out over quantity this week. While the number of new releases is down, there are a lot of high-profile releases of recent films.

--Best Buy, this week, is advertising a deal for anyone who buys the DVD of Mr. & Mrs. Smith at their stores: You are eligible to buy a second DVD (from a selection of six titles) for just another $4.99. Those titles are The Last of the Mohicans, Behind Enemy Lines, True Lies, Say Anything, William Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet and Moulin Rouge (Regular $9.99 each). Must be purchased on same receipt. Limit 1 per customer. Offer valid with purchase of DVD only. See the Mr. & Mrs. Smith display for title selections.

--HERE IS A TERRIFIC DEAL FOR MUPPET FANS! Best Buy will give you $6 off if you purchase ANY TWO Muppet Movies listed: The Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper, Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island. Regular $14.99 each. Must be purchased on same receipt. $15 + $15 = $30. $30 - $6 = $24 (or $12 apiece)! Buy all four for just $48.

--Best Buy is also offering EXCLUSIVE movie cash IN-PACK with its copies of Sky High. Movie Cash to see The Chronicles of Narnia. In theaters 12-9-2005. When you purchase Sky High DVD or PSP (a $6.50 value).

--Best Buy has an EXCLUSIVE on the release this week of Crank Yankers: Season 2 Volume 2. Best Buy's ad lists the title at $17.99 Funny Puppet Crank Calls. Includes calls with Eminem, Jimmy Kimmel, Fred Armisen and Jim Florentine, and 1 un-aired call, “the Deaf Frat Guy.”

--Family Guy fans will want to know that Circuit City has got a deal for them! Buy Family Guy: Volume 3 and any other volume of The Family Guy on DVD at Circuit City and SAVE $10. In-store only. Purchases must be on same receipt.

--FYI, Circuit City has a HUGE selection of deals on great (many recent and hit) titles in their $7.99 and 3/$30 deals this week. :emoji_thumbsup:

--Target, this week, is promoting an EXCLUSIVE title: Til Death Do Us Part – Carmen & Dave (Uncensored). This is an MTV program starring Carmen Electra which is listing at target for $19.99.

--Target also is offering a FREE $10 GiftCard with the purchase of CSI: Season 5. GiftCard automatically given at register; no rain checks. That easily makes Target the place for CSI fans to get the latest season on DVD.

--And, Circuit City’s flyers are indicating that the new releases of Jurassic Park Adventure Pack and The Mummy Collector’s Set will include movie cash to see the Peter Jackson’s King Kong in theaters 12-14-2005. Up to $10.50 value. Movie cash valid 12-14-2005 through 1-6-2006 at participating theaters. The CC flyers DO NOT indicate this is an exclusive to them. Since Target is listing the Jurassic set at $14.99, this seems like a no brainer for anyone who plans on seeing KK and doesn’t own the JP movies…or who might like to give the movies as a gift. Personally, I’m waiting to see what Target’s price is going to be on the Mummy set. I don’t own any of those…and am anxious to see King Kong in theaters.

The Markdowns

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: November 29, 2005 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment

Around the World in 80 Days, Hidalgo, Raising Helen ... $19.99

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

Low Price
War of the Worlds

$39.99 each:
Seinfeld season 5
Seinfeld season 6

$27.99:
Friends season 10

$19.99 each:
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Star Wars Episode 3 2-disc
Madagascar
Stealth 2-disc
Honeymooners

$17.99:
Polar Express

3 for $30:
Flight of the Phoneix
Mask of Zorro
Hitch
Warriors
Scarface
Godfather Part 2 2-disc
Are We There Yet?
Pulp Fiction
Clueless
Tommy Boy
Badder Santa
Bourne Supremacy
Kill Bill vol. 1
Kill Bill vol. 2
Snatch 1-disc
Exorcist
Friday
The Bourne Identity
Transporter
House of Flying Daggers
Old School Unrated
Sling Blade
Pirates of the Caribbean
True Romance
Garfield
Usual Suspects
Pretty Woman
Good Will Hunting
A Walk to Remember
Fight Club

$7.99 each:
Constantine
Troy 2-disc
Aviator 2-disc
Million Dollar Baby 2-disc
Ocean's 12
Phantom of the Opera

$7.49 each:
Forrest Gump
Saw
The Italian Job
Mystic River
Life
Pitch Black
Deuce Bigalow
Platoon
Bringing Down the House
Raging Bull
American Pie
12 Monkeys
Taking Lives
The Never Ending Story
The Insider
Pale Rider
The Bodyguard
School of Rock
Traffic
He Got Game
My Boss's Daughter
Hocus Pocus
Moulin Rouge 1-disc
EuroTrip
The Time Machine
Wall Street
Windtalkers
Starsky & Hutch
Girl, Interrupted
The 13th Warrior

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$17.99 each:
Crank Yankers Uncensored Season 2
Robots

$19.99 each:
War of the Worlds 2005
The Polar Express
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory

$24.99 each:
The Chronicles of Narnia

2 for $20:
It's A Wonderful Life
Elf
8 Crazy Nights
Miracle on 34th Street
Nightmare Before Christmas
The Santa Clause
The Santa Clause 2
Jingle All The Way
What's New Scooby-Doo Volume 4: Merry Scary Holiday
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Animated)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey)
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas
Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas
Wiggles 2 Pack: Wiggly, Wiggly Christmas / Yule Be Wiggling

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

$69.99:
Deadwood season 1

$44.99:
Star Wars Trilogy

$39.99:
Astaire & Rogers Collection vol. 1

$32.99:
Elvis Collection

$24.99 each:
Family Guy vol. 1
Family Guy vol. 2
Xmas Classics
Peanuts Holiday Collection Gift Set

$19.99 each:
Til Death do us Part (Target exclusive)
Gone with the Wind
Barbra Streisand Collection
Audrey Hepburn Collection
Clint Eastwood Westerner

$14.99 each:
Mr & Mrs Smith PSP UMD
Little Women
Mickey's Twice of Christmas

$12.99 each:
Lazy Town Surprise Santa
Baby Einstein Baby Santa's Music Box
Disney's Princess A Christmas of Enchantment
The Backyardigans the Snow Fort
The Wiggles Santa's Rockin'! (Target exclusive)
Dora's Christmas
The Legend of Frosty the Snowman Collection

$10 each:
Racing Stripes
Son of the Mask
Raise your Voice
Aviator
A Christmas Story
Elf

$9.99:
Cat in the Hat & The Grinch 2-pack (Live-action editions)

$7.50 each:
Snow Dogs
New York Minute
Se7en
Wedding Singer
Freddy vs Jason
Bringing Down the House

$5.99:
National Geographic Animal Holiday

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mike, according to TVShowsonDVD, this is a BB-exclusive release for this week (with a general release likely later on). And that's my only definite for this week. But being an Astros fan, I'm contemplating the WS disc but I'll probably hold off on that. It's gotta have too much of a focus on the White Sox (obviously), and I recorded all of the WS games (which I'll be transferring to DVDs when I pick up a DVD recorder in the next week or 2), so I'll probably pass on it having the games already.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The lull before the storm (9 titles next week!)

Just one dvd for my son this week - March of the Penguins.

Thanks as usual for the roundup.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott_J: As always...you da man! Thanks for the info. I have already amended the RoundUp to reflect that information. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I liked March of the Penguins but don't think it'd have a lot of replay for me so I'm skipping it. Just Sky High with a $3 off coupon from Better Homes & Gardens ad but no movie ticket (no BB here). Maybe Wal Mart will also have the movie ticket (they did in the Fog SE which was also supposed to be a BB exclusive & most BBs didn't).

Frighteners Unrated Director's Cut is coming out this week isn't it? I can't believe it's not in anybody's ad. Circuit City's website has it pictured & the picture indicates a King Kong movie ticket. I hope they get it in. If they do they'll probably get 1 or 2 copies so I'll have to be at the door when they open.

Also passing on Mr. & Mrs. Smith (waiting for the SE).
Thanks Mike & Patrick for the roundup.

Dillon*G

Second Unit
I'm only getting Sky High

Asking for Christmas:
-Family Guy:Volume 3
-The Frighteners: DC
-The 4 Muppet Movies

Thanks for the prices Mike and Patrick.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
bestbuy normally wont combine promo's or coupons but they have a coupon on some gift cards that gets you...

dont know if it would combine with the 6 off 2, but the coupon is $5 off 2, $10 off 3, $15 off 4 any disney title.

$15 off 4 would be better anyway.
or if the coupon does work with the 6 off 2 you could buy 2 seperate and get 6 off and 5 off with the coupn.

doing it twice would get the following if it works.
29.98 - $6 - $5 = $18.98 for 2.

the likely-hood that any bestbuy will have all 4 is low.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Ooops!

The Frighteners has been added to the RoundUp! :b

Copies will include the movie cash to Peter Jackson's King Kong.

But as I post this, bestbuy.com is down...so I'll have to add their price later.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Thanks for adding The Frighteners, Mike. You're a great guy (in spite of what everybody else says about ya). ;)

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Mike, is the Circuit City price of $13.99 for Murderball correct? Man, that's a hell of a discrepancy between stores. I hope it's correct, I may have to pick it up for that price.

I'll be getting:
Frighteners
The four Muppet movies for the soon to be mrs.
Family Guy is a maybe

Thanks for the list, Mike and Patrick!

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
WS highlites for me. Go White Sox! Although I'd like more info on a complete set like the Boston last year. Read that they were packaging the WS games but no info on the ALDS or ALCS or if the WS disc would be included...

Found a $3 War of Worlds coupon in People today. (also one for the Island and Madagascar) Got it for $13.99 at BB last week with the collector's book freebie. If I get a better price elsewhere with the coupon, will they make me return the book with the dvd?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
murderball is 13.99 in my cc ad.

13.99 has a > under it pointing to murderball.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Just Sky High for me. Quite a bit of savings if you factor in the free ticket to Narnia. Since Mr. & Mrs. Smith has a confirmed 2 disc SE on the way, it goes on my Christmas List.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a suggestion for the grid:

The Unknown Chaplin (Brownlow / Gill)
A&E, list price $24.99

Amazon: $16.99
Best Buy: $19.99
Circuit City: $17.99
Target: $17.47
Costco: n/a

If anything at all this week, this'll be the one for me. Still digesting Kong, War of the Worlds (1953)(cheap!!), et al from last week.

Thanks, Mike & all, for the continuing dedication & good work.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Thanks as always Mike!

I didn't know these were coming, but I saw the 50th Ann. DVD of the Muppet Christmas Carol yesterday already at a large retailer, in a display targeted at Christmas shoppers (all Christmas movies).

-Christian.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Just Family Guy and The Frighteners (both of which are overpriced, but I'm a sucker!)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks