What's new

PB12 plus 2 or PB ultra 2? (1 Viewer)

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I can't make up my mind if I should get the PB12 plus 2 now or wait a while and get the PB12 Ultra 2. How much better does the Ultra sound than the the Plus 2? Right now I have a complete M&K 150 system with the 350 sub. After looking into it for some time, I have concluded that the SVS Ultra 2 and PB12 plus 2 are both superior subs. My M&K is still a great Sub but it sometimes sounds like it is struggling to continously create lots of low frequency thump in certain soundtracks. After finally putting together my speaker system and my Pre/pro setup, I'm getting the projector in the next couple months. The last thing I want to do is upgrade the sub. If I get the Plus 2, It is a wash because I can sell the M&K for most of what I will pay for the Plus2. If I get the Ultra 2, I'm going to have to go in my pocket for another $900 bucks or so. Does SVS have an upgrade program where you could trade in your sub for the bigger model? Also, does SVS still have that home audition where they say, if you don't like it, they will take it back for free? My room is a very problematic room for a HT. My ceilings are 6 1/2" high. The room is an L-shape with the seating area in the longer of the L. From the screen to the back wall is about 26 feet. I am powering my system with the Outlaw audio 990/7125 combo. I'm sure all the SVS fans here must of auditioned both subs. What do you think? As always I know I can count on the good feedback from the members of this forum. :)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I had the Plus/2 in my house a couple years ago......It was a VERY open room, with 18' ceilings, opening into a large foyer, and then only a planters shelf/wall separating it from the kitchen and dining room. The thing just completely had it's way with the house....I'd say for the room you have now, the Plus/2 would be plenty.....BUT....just depends on how much bass you really want. I'd say you could go with either, and I'm confident that the Plus/2 would be more than adequate.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
First of all, all plus driver models are backordered,something to keep in mind if you're in a hurry like me[I've ordered the +/2 anyway].
2. Pretty much everybody who either heard or tested both are more fond of the Ultra subjectivelly speaking, it also measures louder at 20hz and below, but the db-12 driver seems to have a flatter FR above 40hz.
This is not a personal experience but what I gatter from various forums.Like I said I did ordered the +/2 and if needed probably order a second one, for not much more total of what the Ultra/2 cost alone. Just my 2 cents.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I also had a room bigger than yours but with high 14+ft vault ceilings. I just sold my PB12+2 (actually it was the PB2+ right before they made the name change) I never had it about 1/2 on the gain and like the above poster this thing would have its way with the entire house and probably the neighbors which is 50 property line away from my house as well if I wanted it too. Anyway I just got a PB12+ the single version as I wanted one in oak to match everything. It is taking up the PB12+2's place very nice.. Maybe not quite the gut wrenching punch but awful close. I would suggest you do the PB 12+ and forget the dual Ultra which I think would be way overkill for your room. Just my opinion.. If you want it from the horses mouth, call Ron at SVS and ask him, they won't try to over sell you at all and actually are very fun and nice to talk with, I learn something everytime I talk to Ron it seems.
Good Luck and let us know.
Mike L

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
i've had both.
we started with the pb12+2 and upgraded to the ultra 2.
you will not be disappointed with either one.
imo, the pb12+2 is the bang for the buck sweetspot for the high end SVS line. the ultra driver has a different sound signature, but for most ht applications, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
having said all that; if you have the $, buy the best and don't look back...
eric

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback fellas! I think I will just go with the PB12 plus 2 for now. From what you guys said, I doubt that I will need the Ultra. The Plus 2 is definately more than I need. My M&K 350 still pretty much kicks butt in my HT. Being that I'm a bass nut, I will opt for the SVS. If I someday want to switch to the Ultra, does SVS have an upgrade policy of sort? It will be nice to know that If I do want to upgrade to the Ultra eventually, I could without having to get stuck with a 200 pound sub to find a home for. :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about upgrade program, but they do give a discount to previous SVS owners.Best to contact with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks