What's new

Guitar Hero PS2 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I rarely have time to play console games these days, what with the new baby and all, but mark my words when I say that I MAKE time for Guitar Hero for at least a few minutes almost every day.

Absolutely the most brilliant thing ever plugged into a game console. :)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I've heard great things about this game, and given that I'm a fan of "Frequency", it looks like a winner to me. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find it. I've looked all over the place, both at independent gaming stores and at chains.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I'm a huge fan of the music game genre. From Bust a Groove, to Space Channel 5; Um Jammer Lammy to Donkey Konga. I really wanna pick this up, but I'm having the same problem. It's totally unavailable everywhere. Hard to find.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Just buy it directly from the source, that's what I did: Red Octane Guitar Hero Store . My order was shipped right away, I think I got it in maybe 3 days or so. You can even order the Cherry Red Guitar from them (I didn't know about it when I ordered the multi-player bundle):

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I bought mine at Best Buy; it's on sale this week for $59.49 (you can also order it online; shipping's around $5 from what I've heard). If you plan to pick it up at a B&M location, be sure to bring a printout of the item from their website for a price match, as the in-store price is $69.99.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I love music games, but I've never been that into "guitar rock". Still, I love these music games in general so I'll probably pick it up some day, when I have the money. I'm just afraid it will become one of those ridiculous "collector's items", or it will sink in price, or the next version will have a "better" guitar that I'll have to buy all over again.

I seem to lack the "ozzy! guitar kicks a**!" gene that most gamers my age seem to be born with (I'm more a keyboard guy myself), so my enthusiasm is a little tempered. But maybe that will change when I play it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The game itself is very, very similar to Frequency. I'm pretty certain that it's the same developer.

My Best Buy usually has it in stock. Check there if you have one near you.

I hadn't seen the red guitar before! Pretty neat.

Nathan A

Second Unit
Here's a "review" I wrote:

Hello. There is a new game out, and it is called Guitar Hero. Also, it freaking rocks. Literally. And it comes with a guitar controller. With a wammy bar. It is a music game kind of like Dance Dance Revolution, except instead of stepping on the appropriate spot on the dance pad, you hold the corresponding fret button on the fret board and pluck the "string" when the notes fall.

I've had it for less than one day, and I've already been transformed into a rock n roll god. Yeah. I'm the reincarnation of Asclepius (ancient god of rock n roll- look it up). On the easy settings, it's not as cool since it doesn't make you play every note (maybe something like one in five), and to help make you feel like you're playing it has you playing the bass guitar notes every now and then (altho I suppose most people wouldn't notice).

But on the harder settings, it's insanely hard. And it has you playing pretty much every note (chords too- by holding down multiple buttons on the fret board), which makes you really feel like Kirk Hammett or Mick Mars or whoever else truly excessed with their 'lectric guitar fame.

The song selection is as good as one could hope for- songs I remember are Queen's "Killer Queen," Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction," Franz F.'s "Take me Out," The Ramone's "I Wanna be Sedated," Buring Brides' "Heart Full of Black," Queens of the Stoned Age's "whatever their big song was," and other's I don't remember, plus I didn't get through the whole game (probly only about 1/2way), so I'm not sure what others might be in there. It says there's "over 30 songs." Thankfully, it's pretty much all rock.

When I get better at the game, I'll start doing high-kicks while I play, and I'll slide on my knees in the kitchen (after I buy knee-pads, of course), not to mention other untold legendary rock moves. And finishing moves- I will create monster rock finishing moves. And maybe friendship moves. But not babalities. Babies should stay far away from such mind-blowing rock n rollness.

In other words, go buy this game. And a PS2 if you don't have one. If you can't afford both, just buy the game and practice on the real guitar controller until you can afford the PS2. The downside is that it retails for $70. It's worth that much, but if you're cheap then wait until it goes on sale. I want it to sell well enough for a sequel to be made. On this sequel, I want Metallica's "And Justice for All...," Megadeth's "Hangar 18," something good from Rush, Dream Theater's "The Mirror/Lie," Tool's "Aenema," something by Vai, Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher," Motley Crue's "Live Wire," and many, many more. Maybe some Credence. So c'mon, help the cause. Go buy this superlatively most awesome game.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Love it!!! Also agree with all your song requests for GH2 (except for Credence, but nobody's perfect! :D ).

Unfortunately, people have been requesting THOUSANDS of different songs on the GH forums, so I can't imagine that many of those requests (if any) will have much effect. My fingers are crossed. . .

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Are there any options in this game for left handers? Basically everything would be backwards if I play it left handed. Is there an option in the game to flip the screen for left handers, or a left handed controller?

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
I've read you can play it left handed, the only drawback being the whammy bar is then on top. But yeah, you can play left handed.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Seven playable songs from Guitar Hero II were revealed today at e3:

Psychobilly Freakout
Strutter
Who Was in My Room Last Night
You Really Got Me
War Pigs
YYZ
Arterial Black

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?! YYZ?!?!?! :D

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I just picked up an Xbox 360, and while I would normally sell my trusty old PS2 to help offset the cost, in the corner of my theater room sits my guitar controller......a constant reminder that come November, that old PS2 is gonna provide me with hours of entertainment that no Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii could ever give me. I pray that now that Red Octane has been purchased by Activision, Guitar Hero goes multi-platform (I don't see myself splurging $600 on a PS3).

Now if they'd just spill the beans on the rest of the track list!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Three more songs have been announced!

I like the selection of bands, but frankly I'd have picked different tracks. Oh well! :)

Nathan A

Second Unit

Yes, yes; I concur (Shout at the Devil? I will admit to liking the drums in it, though- too bad there's no PS2 drum kit). But, that's how I felt about some of the songs in GH1, so...

It's been awhile since I've been so eager for a game. A part of me wants not to know what songs are in it beforehand so that I can be suprised when I unlock each new set. Of course, though, I can't resist looking at any GH2 related news I see posted (some of which I know will eventually, like now, include song names).

Sadly, my launch day PS2 is on the fritz, and I don't wanna buy a new one with the PS3 so close, but my beloved guitars won't work on it! Please hold on, lil' buddy!

Motley Crue sidenote- I don't like racing games, but when Gran Turismo 3 came out and got such great reviews, I decided to give it a try so I picked it up. Well, I didn't like it, but its one saving grace was that it had Kickstart My Heart (not my favorite, but good enough). I went into the jukebox and turned every other song off and played the game until I got really tired of that song. Surprisingly, I played the game for pretty long time, considering. Maybe a couple weeks. Of straight Kickstart My Heart.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Kickstart My Heart could be my all-time favorite Crue song. :) Too bad it wasn't selected for GH2. There were several cheesy cool tunes on GT3 -- "Turbo Lover?!?!?!" Something by Rush as well, wasn't there?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hm. . .coulda' sworn there was one in there (I want to say Dreamline for some reason). Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks