Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fanny & Alexander box.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   rogelio gasca

rogelio gasca

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 04:02 PM

Hello,I´d like to know if the 5-disc box of Fanny and Alexander bears any stickers or white tape over the original factory wrap just as the 2-disc(and most Criterion releases,even since Laserdisc times)does,as I just purchased this title with an amazon.con seller and the wrap is totally clean and free of anything so I´m a little concerned.I know it might sound trivial,but the stickers are an integral part of the pack´s art(and Ingmar Bergman´s signature is simply great to look at,really funny)
Is it possible that I received a re-wrapped,if in fine condition,box set?As they claimed it was a factory sealed,new item that would change the item´s condition a lot as well as my confidence on this seller and,therefore the feedback for them,is there anything I should
know in order to be fair?
Thanks for your attention.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Mikal Haydn

Mikal Haydn

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted November 24 2005 - 10:55 AM

My copy has the director-approved sticker on the box.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted November 25 2005 - 12:37 AM

Man, I hate sellers that do that. I always ask if it still has factory stickers before I buy "New." People shrinkwrap and sell used items as "new" all the time! Heck, I once got burned by someone selling "like new" as "new." All I could do was post negative feedback.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,483 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 25 2005 - 02:28 AM

It is possible that there was an error on Criterion's end and the box never got a sticker on it. The lack of a sticker doesn't prove that the item was opened.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,176 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 25 2005 - 03:44 AM

When I bought my copy from Suncoast a year or so ago it did NOT have any stickers on it.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted November 25 2005 - 04:17 AM

Well, it also did not include the upper white security seal with the title, according to the OP. That's a weird sign.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   RafaelB

RafaelB

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted November 25 2005 - 06:32 AM

I got mine fro amazon and the white security seal wasn't affixed to my set, so I don't think that's cause for alarm.

Rafael.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   rogelio gasca

rogelio gasca

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 25 2005 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for all your answers,you are all great.

Rafael,you got your´s at amazon and it didn´t have the now typical white Criterion seal,what about the black,sign sticker?Did your box set have that one at least?Anything else?

Once upon a time I got an Anchor Bay dvd from amazon which did NOT bear the sticker I knew should be there,so this does happen even when you are buying from a store rather than only when you are shopping on ebay or with amazon sellers I guess.

Anyway,any info is really appreciated,I still haven´t opened the set no matter how much I want to,not before I get this clear,so.......ahh,well,hope to hear from you and anyone else who can add his/hers 2 cents,thanks a lot.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted November 25 2005 - 08:36 PM

Quote:
Well, it also did not include the upper white security seal with the title, according to the OP. That's a weird sign.

Not all manufacturers include security seals on all of their product. I recently bought a bunch of cheap Buena Vista titles from Deep Discount DVD which only sells new factory-sealed items, and many came without security seals. The discs only had the shrink-wrap on them.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted November 25 2005 - 10:54 PM

Not all manufacturers include security seals on all of their product. I recently bought a bunch of cheap Buena Vista titles from Deep Discount DVD which only sells new factory-sealed items, and many came without security seals. The discs only had the shrink-wrap on them.

Well, that's that! I think my cynicsm as been debunked! Posted Image I shall approach these situations with a more open mind. Still, that cad who sold me an open "new" DVD did a lame thing. Posted Image Seems what the OP went through was just skepticism for a legit new item. Posted Image

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted November 26 2005 - 06:34 AM

I can't recall ever seeing a white security sticker on a Criterion box set, except for those housed in double keepcases. The Fanny & Alexander 5-disc set is contained within three Digipaks (two double, one single), housed in a cardstock-grade slipcover.

The lack of a "director-approved" sticker wouldn't concern me, either, as I've received releases which lacked them.

Enjoy this wonderful set!

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted November 27 2005 - 09:41 AM

Well, since you apparently got it from amazon.CON, who knows? Posted Image Posted Image

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted November 27 2005 - 11:05 AM

Well, since you apparently got it from amazon.CON, who knows?

In defense of Amazon, I've noticed less scammers there than on half.com or, heaven forbid, eBay. Though all sites freely allow people to sell things that are not accurately listed (many Brazilian versions of rare DVDs, for instance). You just have to read descriptions all the way though, check feedback and even email sellers, if any warning bells go off.