Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Leave It To Beaver: Season 1" -- A Personal Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 of 103 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted December 24 2005 - 06:34 AM

Posted Image "You never can tell, Beaver .... maybe women like to smell like old catcher's mitts." Posted Image

#62 of 103 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 24 2005 - 07:51 AM

There's a TiVo ad on the radio where the TV is talking, asking its owner to get rid of the VCR in favor of a TiVo. At the end, he says, "Oh, and please--ixnay on the Leave it to Beaver reruns!"

Posted Image I'd kick that stupid TV out of my house. Posted Image

Posted Image

#63 of 103 OFFLINE   DanFe

DanFe

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted December 24 2005 - 10:18 AM

My son recently bought himself a small videoman type player and he has had LITB in that player watching every episode. He loves it. BTW, he's 15 years old.

#64 of 103 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,199 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 24 2005 - 05:17 PM

I'll be getting me some Beaver later on today!

Merry Christmas, David...and all you other Beaver-philes! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#65 of 103 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted December 24 2005 - 05:35 PM

Merry Christmas to you too, Mike. (And everyone.)

And I, too, Greg, would send that talking TV packing due to its horrid taste in sitcoms. A shocking lack of Beaver appreciation! Posted Image

#66 of 103 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 24 2005 - 06:45 PM

Merry Christmas to you, too, David, as well as all of our other HTF Beaver pals. Unfortunately, I don't expect I'll be getting this set tomorrow. I will get it with the expected Best Buy gift card as soon as the crowds die down, though. In the meantime, I will go to sleep tonight with visions of your imagined Leave It To Beaver Christmas episode dancing in my head.

Golly! Now I won't be able to get to sleep, on account of thinking of June in a Santa cap, pearls, and maybe a nice red garter belt. You and your multi-angles. Posted Image

#67 of 103 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 24 2005 - 06:53 PM

I picked up the Beav today at Costco for $30.29. Don't know if that was a good price or not, but it was right there, so I grabbed it.

I'll agree the picture is surprisingly grainy when compared to the I Love Lucy DVDs, but it's not horrible. It sure is great to finally have this on DVD.

I went looking for more info on the "Small World" pilot, and ran across a review on MovieFreak.com that oddly claims the pilot "has not seen daylight since first broadcast in the 1950s." Bologna! I've seen it before, and I was born in 1965. I wonder if the reviewer just thought that sounded really dramatic.

#68 of 103 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted December 25 2005 - 07:21 AM

Quote:
Now I won't be able to get to sleep, on account of thinking of June in a Santa cap, pearls, and maybe a nice red garter belt. You and your multi-angles.
Posted Image Posted Image

I take it, then, Greg, you don't want to hear about my multi-angled proposal for an episode involving June up at Friends Lake, when, to Ward's utter delight, she unveils her brand-new 2-piece bikini bathing suit in all its slinky glory? Posted Image Posted Image

#69 of 103 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted December 25 2005 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
I picked up the Beav today at Costco for $30.29. Don't know if that was a good price or not...
You're dang straight that's a good price. The best deal right now on-line is $36+. You should have grabbed two or three.

Quote:
I'll agree the picture is surprisingly grainy when compared to the I Love Lucy DVDs, but it's not horrible.
But (as I eluded to in my mile-long review) please do note how utterly pristine and crystal-clear ALL of the "out-of-doors" scenes are in every single episode. Not a speck of grain can I find in any outdoor shots at all. And there are usually at least a couple "outdoor" scenes in every LITB episode...which I think kind of makes up, sort of, for the grainier scenes elsewhere.

Or -- I suppose it might have the opposite effect on some viewers; i.e., they might see the grain-free outdoor shots and then say "Gee, dad, I sure wish all the indoor scenes looked as grain-free as this. Don't you, Beav? Give me a hunk o' milk as I ponder this situation, will ya?" Posted Image

Quote:
I went looking for more info on the "Small World" pilot, and ran across a review on MovieFreak.com that oddly claims the pilot "has not seen daylight since first broadcast in the 1950s." Bologna! I've seen it before, and I was born in 1965. I wonder if the reviewer just thought that sounded really dramatic.
For just a second (when I saw "review" here in your post) I thought that perhaps it was I who had foolishly put such inaccurate info in my review here. But then I saw that you were referring to somebody else.

Yes, that person is definitely mistaken re. the pilot. I've had it on homemade VHS since about 1988 or so.

#70 of 103 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 25 2005 - 04:07 PM

Quote:
I take it, then, Greg, you don't want to hear about my multi-angled proposal for an episode involving June up at Friends Lake, when, to Ward's utter delight, she unveils her brand-new 2-piece bikini bathing suit in all its slinky glory?

I never thought of June that way, but may not be able to help it now.

#71 of 103 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted December 25 2005 - 05:05 PM

JUNE -- "Ward, why don't you ever bring me flowers?"

WARD -- "I'm the kind that says it with seat covers."

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#72 of 103 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,199 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 25 2005 - 05:54 PM

Quote:
I never thought of June that way, but may not be able to help it now.

Greg: Are you not human, man?!?! June is HOT! HOT! HOT!

Got me some Beaver today! I guess that's the last time I get to make that joke (until Season 2 is ready for release). Posted Image

In the midst of an incredibly busy day, I seized the opportunity to watch Eps #1 & 2! Beaver Gets 'Spelled and Captain Jack. I found myself laughing out loud and just reveling in all that was ever good about television. One thing I especially noticed was the absence of annoying promo voice-overs over the closing credit music! Posted Image

I thought video looked great. But I have a relatively small display (compared to many of the monsters which patrol here at the HTF!).

As long as I make it though the set without problems (all those guys carrying on about Universal DVD-18s have put some fear in me) I'll be one VERY happy camper.

More feedback later.

Quote:
JUNE -- "Ward, why don't you ever bring me flowers?"

WARD -- "I'm the kind that says it with seat covers."

David: That was just one of my many laugh-out-loud lines! It came just seconds after..."Who is Corniela Rayburn? And, when did she see you off your feet?"!!! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#73 of 103 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 25 2005 - 06:53 PM

Quote:
Greg: Are you not human, man?!?! June is HOT! HOT! HOT!

Growing up with a show, I just never noticed those things. I didn't notice Marcia and later-season Jan Brady were hot until it was kind of sick for me to notice--even though they are both older than me. Posted Image

#74 of 103 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,199 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 26 2005 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
I didn't notice.....later-season Jan Brady (was) hot

[url=http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/images/smilies/puke.gif] Jan Brady has always been a sore sport for me.

#75 of 103 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,901 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 26 2005 - 09:57 AM

Come on, man.

http://www.proberten...j/Eve Plumb.jpg

In searching for that picture, I came across one of Evangeline Lilly. SURELY we can agree on that, at least? Hmm? Posted Image

We now return you to Leave It To Beaver, already in progress.

#76 of 103 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,199 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 26 2005 - 10:39 AM

One last thought on our detour:

On Evangeline Lilly, we can agree. Not on Eve Plumb.

Posted Image

NOW...back to our regularly scheduled thread! Posted Image

#77 of 103 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 27 2005 - 01:05 PM

Quote:
You're dang straight that's a good price. The best deal right now on-line is $36+. You should have grabbed two or three

Yeah, Costco's box set prices are second to none.

Quote:
I've had it on homemade VHS since about 1988 or so.

Aha! Only info I was able to find was that it was brodcast on I think Nick at Nite several years ago. But when I saw it, I was almost sure I had seen it in syndication years before that.

David, is there any reference anywhere that tells what dates the episodes were SHOT, espcially the pilot?

#78 of 103 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 01:55 PM

I have no idea about the "Film" dates with regard to LITB, or the "Small World" pilot. But the pilot aired for the first time (in syndication) in April 1957, so it was either filmed in very early '57 or late '56 even.

#79 of 103 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 10:26 PM

I got my copy in the mail from amazon a couple days ago,i watched about 5 or 6 random episodes with no problems so far, including the pilot. Hopefully ill get through the set with no problems. No wonder they changed ward and wally, they were terrible in the pilot! Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#80 of 103 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 31 2005 - 11:29 AM

Oh, I didn't think they were terrible at all. But clearly the "magic" cast was the final one!

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow