-

Photo
- - - - -

Home Theater Direct Speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Howard Cantor

Howard Cantor

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 09:45 PM

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums and H/T in general and am starting to build my first h/t set up. I have spent a good amount of time on the net looking into different speakers and gone to the big box stores to hear what I can. I purchased an NAD T760 receiver and have a JVC DVD player. I have been reading reviews and was pointed in the direction of HTD for a surround sound set and noticed that they had the 2004 Level Three speakers (both towers and book shelf)on closeout. Does anyone have any experience with their products?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 11:27 PM

I don't personally, but many people around here speak very highly of the HTD speakers. You might do a search on the forum if you don't get many responses soon.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Nhan_H

Nhan_H

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 04:04 AM

Definitely do a search, as there are quite a few posts from me and other people here. For their clearance price, they are definitely worth getting.

Tell us a little more about your room (volume, layout, composition), listening habits, and expectation.

HTD is a great company to deal with. They sell speakers internet-direct only.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   GregUVA

GregUVA

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 10:17 AM

My first set of HT speakers was an HTD Level One 5.1 set (now discontinued). Amazing sound for $150! I recently auditioned a pair of their new Level Threes with the ribbon tweeters. Loved the sound, but I found another pair of speakers that I liked just a wee bit more that cost a little bit less on Audiogon. So I sent the HTDs back, although I often find myself second-guessing that decision. At closeout/b-stock prices you would be hard-pressed to find speakers with warranties that sound as good for the price. And of course you get a 30-day in-home trial, and they'll pay for return shipping if you decide not to keep them. What is there to lose?

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 01:12 PM

Another HTD ownwer here. I've had their Level II 5.1 setup in my family room for a few years now. My opinion is that HTD offers a great bang-for-the-buck speaker. I'm still very satisfied with my purchase, and I'm sure the re-designed Level III's will far outshine my Level II's.

If they fit your budget and your needs I would have no problem recommending them.
Chip Slattery
-------------------------------------------------------
Fox Path Theater (under construction - updated 11/25/05)
-------------------------------------------------------

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Nhan_H

Nhan_H

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 05:47 PM

Quote:
Another HTD ownwer here. I've had their Level II 5.1 setup in my family room for a few years now. My opinion is that HTD offers a great bang-for-the-buck speaker. I'm still very satisfied with my purchase, and I'm sure the re-designed Level III's will far outshine my Level II's.

You oughta hear the new Level IIs vs. the old Level IIs Posted Image

I just visited the site again today and look what I found:

http://www.htd.com/flpasp.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter

• 1,063 posts

Posted November 28 2005 - 09:53 AM

I've had a set of HTD Level 3 mains, center, and surrounds for over 3 years now. They have been excellent speakers for the price. The subwoofer, however, is not what I would consider up to scratch. I had one fail and then replaced the second one with an SVS.

My center channel recently took a header onto the floor (thanks, cat) and the tweeter did not survive. I wouldn't expect it to, however. I'm looking at replacing it with something a little smaller and lighter - if the speaker had fallen on kitty, kitty would not have survived.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Nhan_H

Nhan_H

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted November 28 2005 - 10:39 AM

Quote:
I've had a set of HTD Level 3 mains, center, and surrounds for over 3 years now. They have been excellent speakers for the price. The subwoofer, however, is not what I would consider up to scratch. I had one fail and then replaced the second one with an SVS.

The newer subs (they've had like 2 or 3 newer versions now) are much better than the original ones.

Forum Nav Content I Follow