What's new

One sub too quiet (1 Viewer)

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently moved my HT into the garage. This is alot more space than I had before. Even though I didn't need it, I hooked up my other sub as well. Both subs are identical,and are set up the same, only difference is the cable. One is running Monster,and the other just regular ole Radio Shack stuff. The one with the RS cable seems to be quieter than the other one. Could the cable make that much of a difference? Any ideas? thanks.....
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I would adjust the phase on the subs, and no unless the radio shack cable is broke it shouldnt make that much difference in SPL output.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Are they both hooked up to the same output? If they are not, you may have to calibrate them to the same output level. Is there a gain knob on the sub(s) that needs to be adjusted individually?

More information, i.e. sub make/model and receiver make/model, plus how they're connected would help.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I used a Y splitter....so they are both connected to the same output of the receiver. The subs are both against the same wall on either side of my TV. Both are set on the same gain, and crossovers are both set the same also. My receiver is a Denon AVR-683. Both subs are 200 watt 12" units. I've calibrated my system before, when i only had one sub inline...but not since I've connected the other one.

rob-h

Second Unit
Depending on what you want to do, you have 2 options:

1. Cal both subs to the same level and get 6db hotter bass

2. Cal each seperately to 6db less then the rest of your speakers. If you were using 75db then you would turn off one, call it to 69db then turn it off. Turn on the other sub and cal it to 69 db using only the sub gain, leaving the reciever sub output level alone. Then turn the other sub on. You should then read right around 75db with both subs on. This method wilol give you more head room.

Dont get caught up in the position of the gain knob. Thats going to vary by placement.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
ok...makes perfect sence, but i'mone of those people that have to have everything "matching".I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks all....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks