Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

lightscribe question: what software do you use?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 06:44 AM

hi all -

i recently got my hands on an oem hp lightscribe dvd drive. i was able to install it with no problems (and it burns dvd's fine), but it didn't come with any software, manuals, etc. now, from what i can tell, i need some 3rd party software to do the lightscribe part? so, a few questions...

1. do i burn the dvd first (using whatever software i'm used to), then use the lightscribe software to burn the image directly onto the media?

2. i know i need special lightscribe media ... any recommendations?

3. and most importantly, what do you recommend for lightscribe software?

and, if you have any other thoughts, tips, etc ... please lemme know. thanks!

ted

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 09:19 AM

You'll need the lightscribe "printer" driver - it's not really a printer but it fakes it so you can use it with programs that expect a printer.

This link to HP might or might not be what you're looking for.

As for 1. logically you should be able to do it either way - burn the CD first, then flip it and burn the label or reverse. Makes sense to do the fastest part first, which should be burning the data... if that works, then print the label. Should the data burn fail there is no need to waste a half hour on printing the label.

2. no comment (I don't think there are very many choices there...) and 3. while I haven't yet used it myself, I think you might want to visit http://www.surething.com - looks impressive, reviews are positive and it understands Lightscribe as well as normal labels.
"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 02:46 PM

kimmo ... thanks for that link. Posted Image believe it or not, i looked all over that freakin' hp site for it!

also, as you stated, it looks like surething is the way to go ... seems other people are also recommending it.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 02:38 AM

Fortunately they do offer a trial version, so just download and give it a whirl. If it stinks, you can keep looking.
"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"