Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why are hardly any current A/V componets not available in black anymore?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Dean L

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 03:48 PM

(First, didn't know which forum to post this on, moderators please feel free to move this, if not appropriate for this forum.)

I own a gorgeous black equipment shelf, and these current silver components just do not do it justice.
This really bothers me, manufacturers (though a few do)can at least give us a option of black or silver.

Just had to rant, this current trend has really botherd me these last few years.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 04:03 PM

I don't know, I have all black components despite the fact that I don't really like black. I grew up with a stereo system made up mostly of late-70s and early-80s components, all brushed or polished aluminum, but that kind of fell out of fashion for quite a while. I don't know that it's an improvement that things have swung back the other way somewhat; I think it's just another one of those meaningless but annoting changes. Heck, why not anodize the aluminum faceplates and covers in jewel-tones or prints instead of just plain, balck, or "champagne"?

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 04:09 PM

I'm with you Dean. It can't be too hard to at least give us the option of getting it in black.

If you're just replacing one component it sticks out like a sore thumb.
TV's are goign that way too, drives me batty

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   John Alvarez

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 11:22 PM

Especially on T.V.'s. Components could be hidden if you wanted to but the t.v. sticks out all the time. They should at least offer face plate options.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 04:12 AM

I must be shopping at all of the wrong places because I can't seem to find enough silver components at B&M retailers. Pioneer doesn't offer any of their receivers in silver (I do have to admit that the Elite line looks better in black), which is disappointing to me (Denon does, so they can expect business from me in the future).

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 21 2005 - 04:33 AM

Why do they limit the components' colors to black and silver anyway? Why not custom colors to match one's room?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   John Alvarez

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 04:40 AM

You could always put shelving paper on them. Maybe wrap them in Christmas paper during the holidays.....Posted Image

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 05:00 AM

When I got into audio, waaaaay back when, practically everything was brushed aluminum. Some more expensive stuff was given a "champaigne" look; some was like burnished gold. Then everything went black. My Pioneer LD-S2 LD player looks fabulous with it's highly polished black finish (in fact, it's still one of the best looking components ever made) but it's the only black component I own that does.

I'll take the new looks.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Dennis*G

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 07:26 AM

I'm one from the black camp. I can't stand silver components

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 03:04 PM

I can deal with actual metal brushed silver gear, but what I can't stand is PLASTIC silver components....which just end up looking like shiny light gray to me. My own Pioneer DV-656 dvd-audio player is like this and sticks out nastily among all my other black Technics gear.

And silver TVs-especially big RPTVs-look like poo.

For some reason it seems some designers think everyone lives in those chrome/white/Kate Moss-esque furniture "hi-tech" homes pictured in so many of the gear advertisements (every time I see these types of interiors, I think of a line from Ferris Bueller, when he's talking about his buddy's homelife: "His house is like a museum. It's very cold, it's very beautiful, and you can't touch anything.").

But Pioneer, Panasonic and RCA are now (finally!!!) selling all-black plasmas (LCD for RCA) and they look super-cool.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 928 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 02:22 AM

It goes in cycles, right now silver and brushed metal are on the upswing and have been for a couple of years.
Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
It goes in cycles

So true! A return to the late 70's and 80's! I remember at one point being po'ed because the only thing I could get in a new component was that @#$! black that didn't match all the rest of my stuff which was brushed metal and wood trim.
I am not young enough to know everything. -Oscar Wilde-

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 02:41 PM

Quote:
Why do they limit the components' colors to black and silver anyway? Why not custom colors to match one's room?
I dunno, maybe because it’d be a logistical nightmare for the manufacturers? And what if your wife decides to re-paint the room?

I had a stack of silver gear back in the 80s that just screamed “LOOK AT ME,” and I loved it. Back then I wanted everyone to see my system. Black is more subtle and fades away in a dimly lit room, and these days I prefer that (although I still like the LED:’s and displays). I’ll pick and choose my gear from whatever black’s available.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 03:22 AM

I just find no matter which color I want. The component I buy is always available only in the other color.

I gave up on it. Posted Image

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
I just find no matter which color I want. The component I buy is always available only in the other color.

I've always been partial to a lemon yellow, sorta like this Posted Image and you so rarely find 'em!
I am not young enough to know everything. -Oscar Wilde-

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 03:39 PM

i'm with the "black only" camp. i wont buy any silver components. try finding an all black laptop! apart from ibm (lenovo), it's not too easy anymore.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

Forum Nav Content I Follow