Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Switching between 2 DVD players

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 04:37 AM

It's time to improve the presentation when guests stop by for a movie at our home theater. Specifically, I want to show a short or cartoon before the main feature, with the ability to quickly switch from one DVD to another. I currently use one DVD player and don't/can't run the video through my receiver (HK AVR 125). I'd like to add a second DVD player and a simple inexpensive remote controlled switching box.

Any suggestions?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   SteveLeach

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 09:12 AM

That would be cool, it'd be even better if it did a fade to black while it switched between DVD players.
Never give up! Never Surrender!
--Cmdr Taggart

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Tom C

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 07:16 AM

Hook it directly to your TV. Being that it is a cartoon or some short that won't be of any significant sound/picture quality, you would just switch your video input on your TV to your primary and you're good to go.
tac

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 11:21 AM

That wouldn't work for me since I use a projector and my inputs are already used up.

Well, actually, my s-video input is open. I guess I could use that. I should have an open input on the receiver also. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted November 24 2005 - 03:18 AM

What about upgrading your current DVD player? If I'm not mistaken, you can do this with a DVD/HDDR combo. You could simply have the short on the HDD.
I am getting a Tosh xs54, and I was hoping to do the same thing. You don't have to go as far as that, but I would think that any of the combos would do that.
Something to think about...
Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

My Equipment

Pics - Theater in progress

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted November 26 2005 - 02:37 AM

Picked up a $29 Toshiba SD-3980 during Black Friday madness at Best Buy. I'll give it a try with the S-video connection and see if the picture quality is sufficient.

(But it'll have to wait - wife won't let me open my presents until Christmas!)

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 26 2005 - 05:56 AM

Tell her it isn't a Christmas present! Posted Image
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews