What's new

no.. no.. No.. NO!!!! What are they doing to "The Prisoner" ? ! ? (1 Viewer)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=9486&pt=e

THURSDAY 17/11/2005 17:15:33
'The prisoner' set for TV return in new version

Sky One is in talks to bring back the adventure series, which starred Patrick McGoohan as Prisoner Number 6. The series, which made its debut 1967, is today credited by its fans as being ahead of its time. Featuring McGoohan as a former secret agent trapped in an isolated seaside village, it was shown in more than 60 countries.

The new version will not be placed in the original setting, the north Wales village of Portmeirion, or have the arty, "pop" feel of the original, according to the magazine Broadcast. Damien Timmer, who has been lined up to executive produce the show, told the television and radio industry magazine that the new series "takes liberties with the original".

He said: "Although it will be a radical reinvention, it will still be a heightened show with themes such as paranoia, conspiracy and identity crisis."

The original show, which ran on ITV for 17 episodes, has been the subject of university courses. American-born McGoohan, who was also its co-creator, denied that it contained any hidden meanings.

The new version will be remade by Granada and is currently being written by Bill Gallagher, the writer of Conviction.
Sky One is in talks about an initial eight-part series next year. European and US networks could also be involved in a co-production deal.

------------------

pardon me whilst I beat my head into a wall....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Without a doubt this will fail. It could be the best show ever made and its audience will never even give it a chance. It'd be one thing to wait and see if it sucks but the people who will watch a show like this have already decided that it sucks. Whoever greenlights remakes of cult shows/movies should know better at this point.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
The only even remotely postive thing it has going for it is that it is going to be British made...

the most problematic thing is the last sentence "US networks could also be involved in a co-production deal"

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, it has been a while since I heard something about The Prisoner. I remember sometime around where the first Tomb Raider film was comming out that that Simon West was interested in making a Prisoner film. Apparently McGoohan was supposed to be involved in some way, maybe even making a cameo as Number 6. Never heard anything more about it...

Jason

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I rather see a movie version of The Prisoner instead of a TV remake. Love the original TV series. It doesn't need to be remade/re-invented as another TV show.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Oh no. There's no need to remake The Prisoner - it was perfect the way it was. Sky One is behind this? Just another reason to hate Rupert Murdoch.

(Maybe we can change the title of the thread to reflect that it is about The Prisoner. That might generate more discussion.)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Let's wait and see. There were enough people saying that the new Dr Who wouldn't work, and it has triumphed. Perhaps this may be the same. And if it isn't then console yourself that it's Murdoch's money that's being wasted, not yours.

However, I shall be really annoyed if they tinker with hidden message in The Prisoner

The episodes represent the dying thoughts of the spy you see die by gassing at the beginning of the programme. The fact that it was made by the Everyman production company should be the give-away ('Everyman' was a medieval morality play about a dying man's final thoughts).

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I'm guessing they are bringing it back because of the popularity of Lost which has many simularities but when will they learn remakes dont often do good here...Coupling, The Office etc.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I really like The Prisoner, and so my initial reaction was that it was a really bad idea. But the more I think about it, I don't know.

We've had two successful recent successful revivals mentioned in this thread so far - the more interesting one to talk about being Battlestar Galactica (I don't think Doctor Who is a good comparison). The Prisoner and Battlestar Galactica were both shortlived shows from a long time ago (Battlestar is over 25 years old, The Prisoner is over 35) with a strong cult following and are now otherwise completely out of the general public consiousness.

The thing that Battlestar did was make it relevant - they took the concept and created something that was not just an action show, but actually played to today's world. It sounds like that may be what they're trying to do with The Prisoner - they're talking about it addressing "such themes as paranoia, conspiracy and identity crisis".

The Prisoner has a really great concept, and you could probably do a lot with it. I don't think they need to retain too much of McGoohan's main message of the show - in part because noone can agree what the main message actually was and McGoohan won't confirm anything. Just take the basic concept of the show, and take it in their own direction. If the show is well-made, well-written, and intelligent, it could do well, and I would watch it. That is what has allowed Battlestar (and Doctor Who, by the way) to do well.

Who knows - this time we may even manage to get an ending that makes sense.
(Just kidding. I do like The Prisoner, really.)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I really wouldn't equate the tranfer across the pond of "Coupling" (a total disaster) with "The Office" which has actually grown into a worthy program on its own. Sometimes there's an "Archie Bunker" in the bunch. Not all adaptations fall flat on their face.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Hmmm.... I don't know how to feel about this. I am a HUGE prisoner fan and I just don't know if a remake will do it justice.

I do remember hearing about 5 years ago that they were going to do a movie based on the series and that Clive Owen was up for the lead role. Never heard anything else since. I would be cool with a movie if infact they did get Clive Owen.

I don't know...don't mess with greatness.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
As a big fan of the show, I'm taking this in with a dose of healthy "wait and see" skepticism.

Thank goodness it's not a "location remake" of the original. For that, we have the original. I wouldn't want the show to be set in Portmeirion with exactly the same premise. Don't sully the original.

Think of it this way: at least it's not the Kevin Costner feature adaptation of The Prisoner that was being bandied about a few years ago...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Oh, yeah. *At least* this is a British production instead of a Hollywood version of the show, which would surely have Tom Cruise as No. 6 and large explosions every few minutes, as well as lots of shouting and violence. Maybe the British will honor the original show by making the new one with some class.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I was going to ask if this thread could be merged with the BSG thread, but you beat me to it.

One question -- isn't Eccelson the guy who quit the new Dr Who after a couple of episodes? I mean, why would anyone hire him again for a project like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks