Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: King Kong - Two Disc Collector's Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED).

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
211 replies to this topic

#21 of 212 OFFLINE   StevenFC

StevenFC

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted November 19 2005 - 03:02 AM

Look, I just want this movie. As long as it's watchable I'm a happy man. And apparently it's more than watchable.

This might be Herb's most reasoned review. Thanks Herb. Posted Image
Steve's DVDs

The spammers motto: I stink, therefore I spam.

#22 of 212 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 19 2005 - 03:31 AM

Watched the Spider-Pit sequence on the 2nd disc, I liked it, cleverly done by Peter Jackson who's obsessed with Kong and the lost spider-pit sequence. Could easily be edited into the main body of the film [who shrieked?] by those who love composing and editing their own special editions out of deleted or alternate scenes. Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#23 of 212 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,283 posts

Posted November 19 2005 - 03:51 AM

Robert,

Mine shipped from our favorite etailer
a day or two ago.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#24 of 212 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted November 19 2005 - 04:00 AM

Quote:
want to hear if any of the etailers has shipped yet because I have two orders from different etailers and neither one has shipped?

Normally DVD Empire ships any pre-order I have that is due to release on a Tuesday on the Friday prior. It did not happen this time with the Kong pre-order. Horrors, are they waiting until Tuesday or later to ship?? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#25 of 212 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 19 2005 - 10:38 AM

I've compared the new copy of Kong with my old Universal Region 2 DVD, quite a difference, a cleaner picture on the remastered copy and more picture info on all sides. The R2 was also slightly masked on the sides, why I don't know. Top is the UK R2, bottom US R1.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#26 of 212 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,346 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 19 2005 - 11:05 AM

I think that if one were to watch this film with someone who has never seen it before but is aware of its legendry status, reading this review ahead of time would be a good idea. I think this review gives the movie a proper assesment of its artistic and technical merits and flaws.

The comments about the level of acting, I find to be spot on and surely the special effects can't compare to movies made today.

Still, this is a movie whose sum is greater than its individual parts.

The original King Kong has given Peter Jackson a lofty goal to aim for. I wish him success.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#27 of 212 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted November 19 2005 - 11:13 AM

I've never seen the original KING KONG, but I think I might give it a try.

#28 of 212 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted November 19 2005 - 12:22 PM

Quote:
Is there a delay with the release of Cooper's The Last Days of Pompeii?

Don't think so - my screener arrived the other day...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#29 of 212 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,868 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 19 2005 - 01:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Is there a delay with the release of Cooper's The Last Days of Pompeii?

Don't think so - my screener arrived the other day...

Actually, I think there HAS been a delay. As I was researching this week's Weekly RoundUp, I saw Pompeii listed for release 11-22-05 by a couple of sites...but not Amazon, Best Buy nor Circuit City is listing the title for release this coming week.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#30 of 212 OFFLINE   Mike.P

Mike.P

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted November 19 2005 - 07:29 PM

Think I'll be purchasing the $33.99 collectors set from BB this week - Tin Cases with Free Poster offers tend to do me in, and for only 8 bucks more then the Amazon price I get MJY and Son of Kong - can't complain one bit at that.

I've never seen King Kong in it's entirety (sp?), and to be honest the only impression I had of Kong was a negative one - The awful, awful Universal Studios ride. Now that it's gone, I'm hoping all of that negativity can be replaced with joy by this release.

#31 of 212 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 19 2005 - 07:58 PM

I postulated (A.K.A.thunk) elsewhere that the windowboxing issue would be what people would probably complain about with this transfer...but frankly I haven't seen any windowboxing at all in any of the screen caps I have seen on the web so far, how is this windowboxed again?
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#32 of 212 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,288 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 03:31 AM

Thank you Herb. Your well written and informative reviews are always much appreciated.

Thanks also to Vincent-P who posted the news about the BB exclusive last week. I was able to cancel my on-line order just in time.

I suspect the reason the windowboxing hasn't been a major issue is that among the general population it's still a relatively minute number of people who have DLP/LCD TV sets. The boxing will probably be lost/minimized due to overscan for most people.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#33 of 212 OFFLINE   Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 06:26 AM

Can't wait! I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Thanks for the great review.

#34 of 212 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 08:10 AM

Yes, but wouldn't/shouldn't any windowboxing be viewable in the screen caps?
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#35 of 212 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 20 2005 - 08:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, but wouldn't/shouldn't any windowboxing be viewable in the screen caps?

There's no overscan when viewing - or capturing still images - on a PC. You'll simply see the film as transferred to DVD in its true ratio; and windowboxing will not change the ratio, you are just assured of seeing all the image, particularly on a widescreen TV.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#36 of 212 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 10:45 AM

Quote:
There's no overscan when viewing - or capturing still images - on a PC

That's Kevin M. point. Since the screen captures have no overscan, where is the windowboxing??? We should clearly see the black lines outlining the frame. As you, John, state: "You'll simply see the film as transferred to DVD in its true ratio; and windowboxing will not change the ratio, you are just assured of seeing all the image (on the DVD)".
This is a mistake, the windowboxing, in 2005. If this was 1985 it would have be a plus. Now it will be a disadvantage to all owners of digital displays. Which everyday, is more & more of us.

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the screen caps!!!
Great job. Makes me glad I waited all this time for this release.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#37 of 212 OFFLINE   Al (alweho)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
The awful, awful Universal Studios ride. Now that it's gone, I'm hoping all of that negativity can be replaced with joy by this release.
Only in Orlando has the ride been closed.

The mighty Kong (banana breath himself, now with a giant Santa cap on for the holidays) still jerks the tourist-filled trams around daily at Universal Studios Hollywood.
"Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

#38 of 212 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 03:11 PM

DaleMA, if it isn't too late for you, pick up KK at Best Buy, as you'll be able to get the KK Tin Edition along with MJY and SOK in the same BB exclusive box set. You won't need an additional copy of KK if you don't really want one. And the price for everything is $33.99.

#39 of 212 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 06:41 PM

Unless...is there such a thing as player generated windowboxing? I've never heard of it.

Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on the BB tin set!!!Posted Image Posted Image
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#40 of 212 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 20 2005 - 08:02 PM

Quote:
That's Kevin M. point.

Apologies Kevin; I misconstrued...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital HD Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow