What's new

*** Official *** XBox 360 Hardware DISCUSSION Thread (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It's only days away so it's natural for a bunch of threads to start popping up here and in the Software forums. I'm opening this thread for all discussions related to the new box. For now I'll leave the other 360 threads here because they deal with specific issues although I would suggest that the discussions migrate to this thread. If you want to discuss your impressions, questions, etc. regarding this latest unit please use this thread to simplify matters.

Thank you.

Let the games begin (mine with be coming from EB next week and I'm anxious to see how it looks on the BIG screen in HD).

Note: I've created a separate thread for posting reviews of your XBox 360 units as you get them. Kami started the ball rolling several days ago.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As a new projector owner I dislike the new cables. I like the way the xbox1 gives you a BOX you can plug cables into that you plug the other end into the TV. Now with the 360 I either have to get double female connectors x 3 to bridge between the Component cable attached to the 360 and my 25' long component cable leading to the projector, or i gotta take the 360s cable to my receiver in and the 25' cable to receivers component out.

Bleh

Sam

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Finally played the the 360 at a Walmart kiosk. I played Kameo, COD 2, and watched part of a trailer for NBA 2K6.

COD 2 was very nice looking and pretty close to the PC version. Lots of bump and normal maps on everything. Nice looking particle and smoke effects and subtle but beautiful lighting. Nothing jaw-dropping, but certainly no slouch.

Kameo was even better looking than COD, IMHO. Lavish environments were the best part, with architecture that reminded me a little of WoW. The enemy designs were great I thought, while the main character was just so-so. The gameplay felt like pretty standard stuff (wasn't this title started back in the N64 or early GC days or something?), but the visuals at least were a step up from the current gen. A $500 step? I don't know, but I have to say it was probably the nicest looking console game I've seen to date.

The 360 controller was nice as well -- I prefer it to either of Microsoft's previous models.

I liked what I saw. I guess I was kind of hoping it would blow me away. Instead, I left with the distinct impression that the XBox 360 was something that I could do without. I wasn't totally underwhelmed, just kind of lukewarm -- never had a "wow" moment like in every previous generation.

I think I'm going to wait to see what the two competitors have to offer, maybe even wait for the first round of price drops and/or pack-in deals before I decide on a next-gen machine.

David

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
mind you the kioskes are running outdated builds. Final builds are a decent amount better than any of the stuff you see at the kioskes. Not to mention... the NBA2K6 trailer is horrendous compared to what the actual game looks like...

I was very unimpressed with the demos given...

PatrickJB

Grip
I thought the same thing DaveB. The game did remind me of WoW with a bit of Lord fo the Rings tossed in. Of course, I only played the first 5 minutes of the game but that level did look great.

Kami

Screenwriter
Here's the problem with the kiosk setups...

On the cable that ships with the premium version there is a tiny little switch on the connector to the console. "TV" and "HDTV" - The default, of course, is TV.

I think the greater majority of kiosks were running in 480i or at best 480p which isn't too nice on a 720p native LCD.

I have no proof of this, just a theory of why so many report jaggies and poor graphics. Just look at the screenshots in my "review and you'll see it's not the case. You see any jaggies?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Anybody else here preorder one at Sam's Club (online)? I haven't heard any kind of shipping news yet and am beginning to get a little anxious.

RichardK

Second Unit
Matt-

I ordered at sam's club online earlier this week. I received an email saying it would ship before xmas. The latest news is that it will ship 12/15. If you ordered before this week or even before this month, I dont know when they will ship.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I ordered at the beginning of September, so maybe I'll luck out. I just wish I'd hear something...I haven't received any emails since my order confirmation.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI for those buying in Canada. Noticed a flyer from Superstore that bundles the uber-system with one of three launch titles (PGR3, Kameo, or Call of Duty if I recall) for C$538. Save C$20 basically vs. buying those titles and the box separately. Every little bit helps. ;) Covers about half the cost of an extra controller.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
saw cod2 (demo) a few days ago at best buy, looked pretty good, was on a small tv, but it looked to be about the same quality as a high end pc game. i'd imagine that cod2 isnt the flashiest of games available, people say kameo looks great. i think i'm going to hold off for PS3 because of the exclusive titles, but i want to see what this thing can really do.

CJ

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well I'm planning to camp out after work for a midnight opening. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up... might need to skip out of work a few minutes early. Anyone else doing the midnight thing?

Chris S.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Damn...if I wasn't financially preparing myself for my new apartment -- I'd pick up an XBox 360 on Tuesday in a SECOND. Well, there's always next time to get in on the launch date of next-gen systems! :)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well that was a big bust... Got there at noon and the line was already around the building with 100+ (I counted) people in line. O'well, maybe I'll hit Target real early on the way into work.

Chris S.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Here's the lowdown on my chances of getting one:

1. Best Buy near my office (also the busiest Best Buy in the greater Milwaukee area): a line of 45 people for 40 systems. A friend of mine happened to be #13 in line and got there at 2:45pm. Strike one.

2. I went to another Best Buy which won't be selling systems until they open in the morning. The cheapest bundle they are selling is almost $700.00 and comes with a bunch of crap I don't want and/or need. Strike two.

3. I went to the Target right next to that Best Buy and saw 20 people standing in line. I thought, "Aw, that's not too bad. Plus, it's 10pm so I'd only have to wait 2 hours." Went inside and was told that they have 6 premium systems and 14 core systems. However, those people have to wait in line until SIX THIRTY IN THE MORNING to receive a ticket voucher which enables them to grab a system when they open at 8:30am. Strike three.

I now don't anticipate getting a 360 until sometime in late January or February. I knew that the demand would be high for this, but I had no idea it would be this crazy!

Kami

Screenwriter
There's apparently lineups at some Best Buy's as long as 300 people, and they are only getting around 100-150 systems.

Riot??

Users who are viewing this thread