Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official *** XBox 360 Hardware DISCUSSION Thread

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
439 replies to this topic

#21 of 440 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 05:30 PM

I just happen to go buy my local Best Buy around 6:30pm to return an item and there were already 100+ people in line. The store doesn't open until 9am on Tuesday! I might live in California but it was in the 40s last night! There is no way in hell would I camp out in that kind of weather for almost 15 hours.

Besides a store employee told me on Sunday that they only expect around 30 units at most. There are going to be a lot of cold people and tired people on Tuesday who will have wasted 15 hours for nothing.

On another note is supply going to be constrained until after Christmas?

I haven't been keeping up on the news so sorry if this subject as been discussed before.

#22 of 440 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,786 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 21 2005 - 07:20 PM

On another note is supply going to be constrained until after Christmas?

This is incredible marketing strategy to hype up sales before the holiday season.

I stopped at Wal-Mart on my way home from work (11:45PM) and was told they only received 48 systems and all the ticket holders had been camped out there by the layaway desk since before 7AM. So I left there and hotfooted it to the Wal-Mart closest to my house (about 5 minutes away). I got there right at midnight and discovered they only had 8 systems in and all 8 ticket holders were (get this) store employees. What a sham. Looks like I'll be waiting until Feb - March too.

On a related note, last week I was reading in the paper where a Microshaft spokesperson said they expected no shortages on release day. Posted Image

#23 of 440 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 11:30 PM

Quote:
i assume you mean midnight?

Correct. But I don't have a problem waiting till Feburary or later. Maybe once Gears of War streets I will be fanatically sold on the system. But then again we've got our first kid due in Feb... crap, I'm off to ebay!! Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#24 of 440 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 12:02 AM

Quote:
I knew that the demand would be high for this, but I had no idea it would be this crazy!

Ditto. I remember thinking "gotta rush out to buy the Xbox" when it first came out but there were tonnes. When PSP launched earlier in the year there was lots of doomsday predictions that demand would outstrip supply but lots were kicking around. I was thinking it would be the same today with the 360 but it's looking like a legitimate sellout. It was mentioned above that this is excellent strategy and, if that's the case, I agree it's brilliant. Pound up the demand by not having enough, then have a surprise influx of units just prior to Christmas. Lots and lots of people will be dive in thinking it will be their last chance for months.

Just for laughs I'm going to have to drop by some stores to see what's remaining. It will be interesting to check eBay for outrageous auctions.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#25 of 440 OFFLINE   Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 12:25 AM

I really think the best solution is to scour the reputable online sites. I hit CircuitCity.com on Friday afternoon and was lucky enough to get a premium bundle relatively easy (checking out without Windows error messages was the real challenge). I say this not to rub salt in anyone's wounds, but to show that with a little luck and persistence I think that the odds are better on CC.com, or Amazon, or other big online sites.

#26 of 440 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 01:09 AM

does anyone know when the second wave specifically hits? is it variable depending on region?

also, can anyone tell me if the T2 extreme HD disc works? Posted Image
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#27 of 440 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 01:11 AM

So...

Let's hear experiences from those of you who camped out and got one of these puppies (after you've had a chance to catch up on your sleep or when you can pry yourself away from the controller). And don't forget to post your initial hands-on impression over in the Xbox 360 review thread!
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#28 of 440 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 01:36 AM

My local paper had an article about the Xbox 360 and talked with local retailers and the spokespeople said they would keep getting the xbox 360 in, in WEEKLY shipments.

I feel sorry for the poor saps that are going to get screwed on ebay, it is a scammers paradise for the time being.

#29 of 440 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 01:37 AM

And let ebay begin. Already going for a small fortune with tons of listings available.

#30 of 440 OFFLINE   RichardK

RichardK

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 02:06 AM

I went to Walmart yesterday at 4pm. The line had begun at 7am that morning. I was #25 inline, and two minutes later 4 people showed up. Come to find out there were only 26 premium systems! I snagged one, woo hoo! They also had 22 core systems. While we were checking out this guy shows up at 12:15am and offers $200 for a ticket. No one bit. A few minutes later someone with a premium system in hand got the guy to shell $800 for it right there on the spot! I would have done it for $800, but there were no other offers.

I will be online tonight with NFSMW or Halo 2. Look for me as RICHUT96...

Peace, love, and XBOX 360.

#31 of 440 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 02:08 AM

I've read that it was much easier to get one at the membershipment warehouses, like Sam's Club and Costco.

Gotta love it when people bid crazy on the empty Xbox box:

http://cgi.eBay.com/....e=STRK:MEWA:IT

(I doubt the buyer intends to pay, judging by the user name, but still funny nonetheless.)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#32 of 440 OFFLINE   Kyle

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 02:21 AM

My local Walmart only had 16, 14 of which were hdd based. I was # 24 in line. So I left, went to Best Buy and got in line a little before midnight. I was number 30 in line, great because they had 50 they were selling. I didn't realize that were not opening at midnight though. I was not going to wait until 8 am for an Xbox that I will probably we able to buy on Friday. Its the busiest shopping day of the year. MS would be stupid not to have the product available that day. The Best Buy Rep I talked to said that they will have more in a couple days. I guess I'll try again then. I want one, but I also have a life (job, family etc) Posted Image
Kyle out-

#33 of 440 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 02:51 AM

I had to stop at Target on my way into work this morning to get some stuff, and I over heard the guy in electronics say they only got 16. I was pretty surprised. Thankfully I've never been an Xbox guy and I won't be getting Xbox 360. But I still feel bad for those who really want one.

This IMO is not a legitimate sellout; it's a deliberate shortage. You could say they MS wants to get early waves out to start bringing in revenue, but do they really need to do that?

I remember being able to get a PS2 and a Gamecube relatively easily online around their launches, and I'll likely employ that strategy for PS3, provided there are any launch titles I'd be interested in.

Good luck to all trying to get one of these.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#34 of 440 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:15 AM

Quote:
A few minutes later someone with a premium system in hand got the guy to shell $800 for it right there on the spot! I would have done it for $800
considering what they are selling for on ebay, i'd have bought them all day long for $800 Posted Image

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#35 of 440 OFFLINE   Bob Friend

Bob Friend

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:18 AM

12 Hours in line at Walmart (My wife came and releived me for an hour twice). The decision to wait was a snap decision. I happened to have the day off and was in the store and saw the line forming. We had preordered a system from Gamestop back in June and were told last week not to expect one until after Christmas. The kids have been saving their allowance for months...

Not the most organized process. As shifts changed the manager on duty would come by and do a head count. Each manager had a different story and that kinda made the mood a little sour. First they were going to be handing out tickets at 9pm and we could come back at 12 to pick up the xbox. Then there were no tickets and we had wait it out. One manager went so far as to say they didn't know how many systems they had after we had been told for hours by several employees that there were 48 (32 premium / 16 core).

At about a 11 they came and moved the first 48 people to the store room and lined us up by twos there. The folks left out by layaway were getting pretty loud and angry (keep in mind that everyone in line after the 48th person was told that there were only 48 systems). Once they moved the line outback my stepson had to stay out on the floor with the mob. He said that some people were talking about mugging people (then again he likes to tell stories). In anycase, it was getting pretty rowdy and I wasn't hangin around after paying for it and made a dash for the car.

They really should have had security on staff.

I managed to play PGR for 5 minutes when I got home. Wow!

#36 of 440 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:19 AM

The Circuit City near me received 11 units total (Premium and Core systems combined). CSRs at both BB and CC were fielding phone calls the entire morning from folks trying to locate a unit (I didn't bother stopping by TRU or CompUSA - I'm thinking lather, rinse, repeat Posted Image ).

IMHO, Microsoft dropped the ball on this launch. Posted Image

#37 of 440 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:29 AM

The strategy of having too few systems on opening day will only work if there are plenty of machines to go around Christmas.

EB Games has shipped my Call of Duty 2, but my Ultimate Bundle is still "On Hold."

#38 of 440 OFFLINE   PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:51 AM

I stopped by Costco when they opened this morning, but they had already handed out vouchers for their bundle. Every bundle was the same from what I saw: a Premium system + extra wireless controller + Kameo + Play and Charge Kit for only $479. From the looks of it, they had over 100 of these bundles for sale, it was kind of surreal seeing everyone in Costco carrying the Xbox 360 bundle.

#39 of 440 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:56 AM

A guy I work with got the same bundle from Costco. Sounds like that was the place to hit.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#40 of 440 OFFLINE   Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:59 AM

Between the shortage situation and the financial constraints of Christmas shopping. I probably will not be able to buy one of these until January. I did put one down on my Christmas list but I probably have a slim chance of getting one (a guy can try can't he?Posted Image )

The only comment that I would like to make is that I think MS has handled this launch poorlyPosted Image. I'd be pretty steamed if I was a person who had pre-ordered months ago and was told that I would not be recieving my pre-ordered system until January or February, after all what then is the purpose of a pre-order? and does MS really need to institute shortages to increase revenue? ( I guess that theoretically it makes sense in business terms, but the real-world fact is that they will make a killing on this either way they do itPosted Image)

It doesn't sound like MS is the only one to blame though because it sounds as though the stores were ill-equipped for this too. Stores like Wal-Mart shouldn't have gotten a certain number of systems only to have all of them reserved for employees Posted Image . OTOH I also think that some of these people went to the extreme camping out for hours on end in the cold anticipating the launch.

Congratulations to those who got one and good luck to those still trying to get one.Posted Image
-Keith-       

Forum Nav Content I Follow