What's new

Toshiba 56H80 - Good? Bad? Ugly? (2 Viewers)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Best Buy is currently offering a great deal on this set ($2850) and I'm considering taking the plunge. I'd be using it primarily for DVD viewing with some satellite as well. What is the general consensus on this set? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
DP

Josh O

Agent
I wouldn't say that $2850 is such a great deal.
I found it online a few weeks ago for about $2300 shipped.
Granted, you could probably expect to pay a bit more if you want to purchase from a B&M, but $2850 seems a little excessive.
Here is the 65H80 for $2650 shipped:http://www.continentaltrade.com/tos6565inthe.html
I don't own one of these (yet), so I can't offer too much information about it's performance other than to say that when I have seen it calibrated properly (i.e. NOT at Best Buy) it can be stunning.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
----
I wouldn't say that $2850 is such a great deal.
I found it online a few weeks ago for about $2300 shipped.
Granted, you could probably expect to pay a bit more if you want to purchase from a B&M, but $2850 seems a little excessive.
Here is the 65H80 for $2650 shipped:http://www.continentaltrade.com/tos6565inthe.html
----
Thanks for the info, but I'm not going to purchase a 300+ pound television at anything other than a B&M. *IF* something is wrong and the set needs to be returned or exchanged, there goes your savings.
DP

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
----
----
I checked this business out. They're operating out of a suite number in Brooklyn, NY, there's no information whatsoever about return policies on their website and they use an AOL email address. Gray market? Probably.
DP

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Of course, no one has answered the original question...
wink.gif

As an owner of the 56H80 myself, I can tell you this set rocks! I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this set to anyone.
____
Jeff
------------------
"You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
here's the link to the 65" toshiba at costco.com. online purchases can be returned to any local costco. they have a very liberal return policy.

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a 56H80 about four weeks ago. I was able to talk our local vendor down to $2700 out the door. That's including tax, delivery, a 30 exchange policy, and a one year warranty.
I'm not sure if they've come down in price since then, but you can work pretty good deals because they're trying to make room for the new models.
By the way, the 56H0 is glorious ... wish I got the 65HO :)
chris

Josh O

Agent
-----------------
Thanks for the info, but I'm not going to purchase a 300+ pound television at anything other than a B&M. *IF* something is wrong and the set needs to be returned or exchanged, there goes your savings.
-----------------
I agree, a point which I aknowledged in my first post.
I was trying to point out that $2850 was not a very good price. Since you seemed to think it was a "great deal," I suspected that you hadn't looked around much and I was hoping to point out that you defnitely had some bargaining power with the B&M's.
As pointed out by someone else's post, Costco is one of the best B&M deals on these sets right now.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
just to clarify, the 65H80 is only available at costco.com not at your local costco store (not at my local costco, anyway.) you must order it from them online and have it shipped. you can, however return any item purchased online at any of their B&M stores.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I've had my 56h80 for almost 2 months now, also purchased from BB. I still have ComCrap cable, but a satellite system is in the works (tax check, July!) The cable picture is not that great most of the time, but DVD's (non-progressive DVD player) are great!
------------------

AndrewG

Grip
I've had my 56h80 for almost 2 months now, also purchased from BB. I still have ComCrap cable, but a satellite system is in the works (tax check, July!) The cable picture is not that great most of the time, but DVD's (non-progressive DVD player) are great!
------------------
Regarding this DVD picture. How does the picture look on non-amphomorphic DVD's. How is the zoom mode on this set for those movies?
Andy
------------------

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
My Best Buy (Huntsville, AL) had the 65H80 for $2999 last week (haven't been in since)! At this price, get the 65"! If it's not on sale anymore, it will be again. I had a 56" Panaonic widescreen, returned it. I now have a 65" Mitsubishi and am actually glad the Panasonic failed now!
BTW, I second buying from a B&M. I bought the Panasonic online and it took 5 months (I had already bought the Mits and disputed the charge through the credit company after 3) to finally determine that they couldn't fix it. A total of 6 months before they refunded my money (and this was through OneCall)!

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
If you do decide to go with the set, get a progressive scan DVD player to take full advantage of it. The progressive scan image on the set is incredibly film like. I'm still amazed at how good stuff looks on my TW65X81 via an SD-5109.
Good luck,
Seb
------------------
"I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I have been satisfied with the 2 or 3 non-anamorphic discs that I have seen, using Theaterwide2 for stretching.
I am so used to watching regular 4:3 TV stretched with Theaterwide1 so much that it everything looks strange in Normal mode if I switch to that.
------------------

Chris Sigua

Stunt Coordinator
Craig wrote: the link to the 65" toshiba at costco.com. online purchases can be returned to any local costco. they have a very liberal return policy.
If you wanted to get an extended warranty, where/whom would you go to get one? I don't think Costco sells them. Does Toshiba directly sell one?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Toshiba does sell one. There was literature on it with my 65H80. I'm still tossing around the idea, but you have a year after purchase to decide.
------------------
For 11+ hours of Beethoven music available nowhere else, visit www.unheardbeethoven.org (New THIRD Millennium update done 10/22/00 )

Scott Stieglitz

Auditioning
Can someone provide me with more information on the extended warranty option that Toshiba provides? I was unable to find anything about it on their website, and I was wondering if they still offer this service and what the details are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks