What's new

ATTN ALL: King Kong Box Set With Collector's Tin, Son Of Kong, & Mighty Joe Young!!! (1 Viewer)

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Today at Best Buy, me and another inventory guy were receiving our UPS shipments and we got a bunch of boxes of DVDs. A few of them were really big and I could tell they were from Warner due to the color of the box. We were curious why the boxes were so big, so we opened one up and it turned out that they were box sets of the King Kong Collector's Tin, along with the other 2 Kong films. Apparently it is a Best Buy exclusive. The box is not as cool as the box for the set with the regular 2-disc, but this item which a lot of you were wishing for exists!

There is no picture on bestbuy.com but I am pretty sure this is the listing:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1505115

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info!

Why is the box not as "cool" though, what's different about it?

Is there any way you can post a picture for us to see?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks for the info Vincent.

It still comes down to price though. Whichever of the two "boxes" are cheapest will get my money.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This may have come up elsewhere, but how are the other two movies? I was planning on buying the CE of King Kong anf passing on the other two. This might change my mind.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Unless I took a digital camera to work, I couldn't really post a picture of it. Basically what is uncooler in my opinion is that while most box sets have the discs go in the side, these all go in face first. Basically the opening in the box in not in the spine, but rather the front.

I'm not really sure how better to describe it, let me know if that didn't convey the thought.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I don't know specifically, but it was a couple shipping boxes' worth. I didn't do the actual receiving, I was just there when they got delivered and peeked in a box.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Awesome news!

I was definitely getting the tin and was debating which method was cheapest to acquire the other two titles. This eliminates that concern completely.

Thanks Vincent!:D

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Is Best Buy stocking the "regular" boxset with the three titles? Someone posted the prices for the Best Buy set and only one box is listed so I'm guessing it's the exclusive.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Anybody in Canada have a heads up on whether this will be available at BB (and FS too I guess) here? Thanks. I wanted the tin, but MJY gets some good recs too...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what is this now?

so the tin normally only has kong and the cards etc.

this bb tin has all that plus the other 2 big monkey movies?

so this combines the tin and the collection.
is this right?

i was able to get both the tin and collection for about
$23 at CH in a sale but this looks like a good deal otherwise if thats what it is.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Hey Vincent! Guess your store beat ours to it.

If I still had my camera phone I'd take a pic for this thread when we recieved ours.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hmm...$33.99 for the "Tin" box set...should I cancel my Amazon box set order for $19.99?...is it worth it....damn it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So are the other two movies any good? I know I want the original, but time, storage space and money are scarce. I am hoping someone will be kind enough to venture their opinion. I have not found much on-line.

Thanks.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
You could rent them David, I mean I can tell you till I'm blue in the face that they are worth owning but in the end it is your personal taste that will decide...rent em and make up your own mind I say.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Thanks for the heads-up, Vincent!! I had the tin on order at Amazon for $25.99, but just canceled. $8 extra for the other two flicks sounds like a good deal to me!!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Kevin,

I hear what you are saying and I generally trust my own opinion when it comes to film, but I am trying to come to the best purchasing decision I can given my limited knowledge of the other two films. Buying King Kong is a no-brainer. I will not have a chance to see the other two before make my decision.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Thank you for posting this Vincent! I was able to cancel my order at another e-tailer just in time and will be able to save quite a few dollars by picking this set up at Best Buy. As an exclusive at least we now know why this package wasn't announced up front.

I only wish we could find out about these exclusives a bit earlier in the process. (The Harold Lloyd box with a BB-only bonus CD was another recent example of a surprise release.) But I guess the less said to the other retailers before release day the better as far as buyer politics go.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info!

The reason a lot of us want "Mighty Joe Young" is due to the fact that Ray Harryhausen worked on that movie as an apprentice to Willis O'Brien!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks