Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Alien vs. Predator - Unrated

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 08:44 AM

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#2 of 67 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 08:52 AM

The first release was enough for me on this title. I liked it well enough for what it was but not enough to double-dip.

#3 of 67 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 09:08 AM

I was planning on doubledipping. Thanks for the review. I'll keep the original. Sure doesn't sound worth a repurchase. I was happy with the PG-13 version.

#4 of 67 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,084 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 16 2005 - 09:14 AM

A completely entertaining film from beginning to end and I am gladly double dipping. Posted Image

(.......look out...here come the pissed off fanboys!.....just kidding...sort of.Posted Image )
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#5 of 67 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 09:20 AM

I swear everything is PG-13 these days. Why? Studios obviously figure they can increase theater attendance this way. What is the end result? Generally, a movie that satisfies no one, not the parents that would prefer to take their children to a PG movie, or the adults or children, in some cases, that would prefer to see the R version. I'm generally of the opinion that the PG-13 rating is a bane of moviegoers existance and a good reason why films of the 70s, for example, are so much superior than their counterparts today, special effects not withstanding. As for the review, nice job. I had already pretty much decided to pass on this release, as I thought the movie was rather dull after I watched the original DVD. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 67 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,084 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 16 2005 - 09:35 AM

Are the additional/extended scenes identified in some way? Btw, thanks for the review.

#7 of 67 OFFLINE   Antony James

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 10:05 AM

Tino, if the unrated version has no real blood or guts, then it's pretty clear that the theatrical version didn't either. He's just confirming what we really knew all along...this version is literally unrated, but has no reason to be so.

#8 of 67 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 10:25 AM

It's not written that way on the packaging is it!?! I assume that is just Michael's typo...? :b
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#9 of 67 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 10:46 AM

Tino
I just didn't explain that further into the review. Corrected. Robert! Ha hah! The English language is such an oddball...at times I do make mistakes...choose & loose vs. chose & lose. I can think of a billion other examples of similar spellings but different pronunciations. Plus, it doesn't help that I evaluate the work of Grade 4 students every day...words are spelt wrong all of the time; I begin to believe they are correct! Corrected! Mike

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#10 of 67 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,084 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 16 2005 - 12:52 PM

Don't you mean spelled, Michael? Posted Image

#11 of 67 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted November 16 2005 - 01:25 PM

So is there anything that was on the original release that has been dropped here?

#12 of 67 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 02:35 PM

The three deleted scenes on the single disc release are included in the unrated version (but you can't view them separately from the film). the only major material (from the single disc) that doesn't make it to the two disc is the DVD-ROM content stuff on the AVP comics. Basically The Making Of AVP featurette on the single disc is a shortened version of the major featurettes on disc two of the unrated edition.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#13 of 67 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 02:38 PM

Tino

Ha ha...you must remember that I am Canadian! I knew I'd catch you on that one!

Canadian English is much closer to British English. Spelt is the British past tense of "spell" - just as colour is to color, centre is to center, organise is to organize and "z(ed)" is to "z(ee)" ...and on and on...

..."spelled" is actually improper here.

I'm very aware of American spelling...but I'll stick with Canadian English. Posted Image

L8R
Mike

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#14 of 67 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,084 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 17 2005 - 03:48 AM

Posted Image

#15 of 67 OFFLINE   Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 12:06 PM

Anyone else find the slipcase to be of incredibly poor quality? The artwork is fine, yada yada yada, but the slipcase it self is atrocious. The artwork is actually peeling off. When I took the clear safety stick off, to protect the slipcase from being ripped when remove the price sticker, a huge chunk of the artwork went with it!

#16 of 67 OFFLINE   Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 01:40 PM

Oh YES Jim Harvey... I removed a little part of the back cover on the slip case... Very beautifull, but terribly poor quality...

#17 of 67 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:34 PM

Actually, we can use both forms; -se is a recent evolution (and probably the reason why Americans only use -ze). My old Oxford dictionary doesn't list the -se forms. Posted Image

#18 of 67 OFFLINE   Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 04:20 PM

I may have to ditch my slip cover becuase I just keep on finding more and more damage the more I look it over. Chips here and there are gone. Just poor quality on Fox's part.

#19 of 67 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 10:55 PM

I did not buy this the first time around, so I picked up the new version last night. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet (going through the extras on WotW)...

#20 of 67 OFFLINE   Ed Speir IV

Ed Speir IV

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 01:03 AM

I watched it last night. I did not notice the additional eight minutes in the film; however, I did notice that a fair amount of CG human blood was added to most of the death scenes. Unfortunately, it looks very fake and obvious....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users