What's new

Am I the only one buying DVDs faster than I can watch them? (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It seems recently I have less and less time to watch movies and to my horror counting the stack of DVD purchases yet to be watched, I have 81!!! If I watched a movie a day it would still take me till February 2006 to get through all of them!

chris_clem

Second Unit
Haha! I have the exact same problem! I think that this has become a bigger "problem" recently because of the deluge of television dvd sets out. A single big purchase of say all available seasons of show x can take weeks to watch! Of course, I have no problem stacking them all until I find that mythical gazillion hours of free time however my wife has begun taking issue with them. Any suggestions on how to fend off the inevitable "How can you buy...when you haven't even watched..."? :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
you're not alone. i probably have somewhere close to that number too, maybe a lot more (i'm afraid to actually make an accounting). hard to pass up good sales like the recent ones on the WB TV sets or the current DDD sale, and you never know, they might not come around again.

i do feel a lot of guilt about having an appetite for more and more stuff, when it seems like i can't consume and enjoy in a leisurely way things i already have.
sometimes i feel like i watch things just so i can put a mental checkmark next to it.
"another unwatched title off the list...only 78 more to go and then i will have started to justify all the money i've dropped on these things..."

it's not always like that of course, but i do feel it happeneing more and more frequently

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Only 81?

I think I'm hovering around 300 unwatched and that doesn't include TV series or Tivo'ed films. Then there are the documentaries and commentary tracks.

It's an old fashioned Catch-22. I need my job to buy the discs, but as long as I have my job, I have no time to enjoy said discs.:frowning:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. But it doesn't bother me that I have unwatched DVDs. It's a collection, and I buy titles to save money with preorders and sales, not to watch as soon as it's in my hands.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
There's nothing wrong with having a good stack of unwatched discs. Hopefully you'll get around to them eventually. A lot of DVDs are very reasonably priced - like (paperback) books. You don't need to read them at once.

Myself, I've got an unwatched DVD stack that is no bigger than I can handle right now, about 15-20. And I don't plan to buy much for the next few weeks.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Dont forget to rotate through your stuff and watch old movies and shows again. I find myself putting on one of my X Files or Farscape discs at least once a week. I only have 5 movies that i have bought, and not watched as of yet.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
I recently got a hold of a lot of money, so without thinking about it i startet buying DVD's. Now i have
113 movie DVD's and 43 TV DVD-sets unwatched

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
I probably have 1000 DVDs, no kidding, and have probably only watched 20 percent of them. Additionally, I still go to the cinema once or twice a week (as I've been doing for 25 years and will never stop doing), and joined Netflix last spring which gives me two or more DVDs to watch every week.

To be honest with myself, I will probably never watch many of my DVDs, and most of them only one time each. So I've curbed my purchases a little by doing Netflix, but can't stop buying altogether.... Just spent a few hundred bucks in the DDD sale... And it's not like I don't have a life, either... I've got a wife and kids who could use some of my attention!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I wish I had one of those stop-watches like in the Twilight Zone where I can stop time with a push of the button. I have way too many un-watched DVDs right now, and not enough time in the coming weeks to watch them...I need to stop time!!

Its become so bad that I now have to give up listening to most commentaries, I just don't have enough time to listen to them:frowning:

Ummmmm....maybe if i quit my job..........:)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to try to allow 2 hours per day (or however long the film is) to get a movie in. And rotate the films in my collection.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I was fully up-to-date on my collection (including all the extras) until about a year and half ago when the Warner boxsets started showing up. Now I have over 30 unwatched DVDs and it's no big surprise that most of them are Warner titles. I have about 6 titles pre-ordered for the rest of the year and so I hope to be able to be fully caught up once again by the end of the year.

-D

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
No, I typically don't watch all the DVDs I buy immediately. Some get put aside for later viewing. But I try to watch as many new purchases as possible. ;)

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
i have a bookshelf and a half of unwatched dvds. i've seen a lot of them thats the reason i bought them but some of them i just cant seem to to put in to the dvd player so i go to the shelf of dvds that i love and put those in.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I'm usually fairly caught up, but recently I've been getting very behind (for me). Also a catch-22 here. I started a business, which gave me even more disposable income for DVDs, but also takes so much time, I don't get to watch that much. I've got about 50 titles left to watch of which about 10 are TV sets. The DDD sale this week hasn't helped the situation. We've been remodeling my office for the last three weekends and have just one more to go. After that I may have some weekends to catch up.

The other part of my problem is that almost half of the unwatched films are foreign. If it's an film in english, I can usually put it on while I'm working, and still enjoy it. Not the same when you have to read subtitles.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I probably have 100 to watch, and that's after a much-needed Netflix "weed-out" to curb purchases (now those I do watch, which of course cuts into my time to watch my purchases...:frowning: )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks