What's new

Main speakers < $2000 pair (1 Viewer)

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I'm finishing up my HT room and am wanting to upgrade my main speakers. I'm looking to spend less then $2000 on the pair for now. My receiver is a HK AVR 430. I like the sound of Canton Karat's, but in my area I don't have a lot to compare them to other then speakers at best buy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on some other speakers that I might want to look into?

Thanks!

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
I was doing some more research and found some B&W 703's. I might be able to kick out an extra $1k if I can see a difference between the $2k and $3k speakers.

Thoughts?

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
Probably upgrade that while I'm at it :)

I've always heard good things about the Rockets and Paradigms, but I've never been able to hear them in person. I might have to make a road trip this weekend if there is a dealer near.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No offense, but I think some of the speakers mentioned, like the Studios and 705s, are a bit out of the league of the 430. They'll work, but they'd be better suited to something with more power. Speakers make the biggest difference in sound, but if you don't have enough real power to drive them, then they aren't going to make as big of an improvement. If you're talking in that price range, you might consider adding an amp, at least for the mains, to the mix as well.

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
As I was looking I did think of that. I'm going to check out the Paradigm's today. I see that the studio's price range is between $1,200 and $1,600 online. Which was a few hundred less then I was thinking to spend, and a bunch less then I might have spent on the B&W's.

So this brings up another question. Anyone have any suggestions on amps for the Paradigms? Maybe in the price range of under $1,500?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Like John, I've had all sorts of Paradigms....most recently the studio/100s. I'd second his recommendation of the Outlaw amps....the only other suggestion I'd have would be Parasound. I did like that combination, as well. If going new sets you back too far, try and find a used one. I know that Outlaw's warranty is transferrable, but not sure about Parasound.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

B&W makes very good speakers. If you're going to have a good sub you might look at the 805's instead of the 703's. They would retail at $2500/pair and you could probably get them for closer to $2k.

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
The oulaw amps seem to be very reasonably priced for the power your getting. The H/K has 7.1/6.1/5.1, so I might think about going with the 7 channel 770. I know that I usually dont even use more then 5.1 for now, but every so often you get the Dolby Digital EX movies.

Thanks for the advice, I think I might need to cut back on other people's x-mas presents and just buy a whole set of paradigms. I will just give people movie tickets to my new HT :)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I'm going to go 'off the radar' and suggest you look at the Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signatures. Personal preference is a major factor, particularly in speaker selection, but IMO the Vandys blow away every other speaker mentioned in this thread. The list price is $1550 new, so they are well within your budget.

The 2Ce Sigs will also benefit from a good power amp and I would suggest looking at the used market. There are a lot of very good used multi channel amps available in your price range. The Rotel RMB-1098 is good and you should also check for a Parasound HCA-2205. Another very good option is the Sherbourn 5/1500A, which beat out both the Rotel and Parasound in my system, although it was close.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Audio Insider has just introduced a new line of Swans speakers. The 6.2s would fit your budget w/ plenty of room to spair for additional ampliication. $1300 for the 6.2s and a couple of Outlaw 2200 Monoblock amps at $325 each would be a killer combo. The receiver could handle the amplification for center and surrounds as you add them.

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
I'll take a look at those. I wish that I could find a store that carries some of these brands. It's hard to know if I like them until I hear them.

Adding to the Paradigm discussion. I was looking around and saw the Monitor line. Does anyone know any differences between the studio's and the monitors?

Scott_N

Second Unit
I think a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1's as your mains and their LCR-15 as a CC would be great for HT and music.

I second the Swan 6.2 suggestion....absolutely killer speakers for the price! Different tastes for different people, but I was able to audition many speakers before my purchase around this time last year....axiom M60ti, Rockets 750, Paradigm Studios, B&W704s, etc....I ended up with the swans:

avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=534264&highlight=swan

best advice: if you can audition a few before, you are better off....but Swans are absolute steals at this price range, specially the new 6.2s ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks