What's new

*** Official *** Xbox 360 REVIEW Thread (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
http://www.halomovienews.com/xbox360.php

I'm on cloud 9!!

Administrative Note: I've decided to create two threads regarding the XBOX 360 here in hardware
  • An official discussion thread
  • An official REVIEW thread (this one)

After a bit of thought I realized that a lot of people will be getting these boxes shortly (thanks to Kami for starting the ball rolling) and it would probably make sense to have a place where people express their initial feelings. Let's try to keep the reviews here and discussions/questions in the other thread to sort this out a bit.

Thank you.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Just read your impressions, Kami and linked them to our little forum. If you get bored of it in a day or so, let me know, I'll drive the 90 minutes there and pick it up! ;)

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
Good link. Looks totally rad. Your site may have made me fall into the getting one court. Looks like a ton of nice compatibility with a home PC.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Damn!

Am I to understand that you don't need a networked Windows Media Center PC in order to use the WMC extender on the 360? From your description it looks like all that is needed is the software that ships with the 360, connect it to your network, go to your PC that holds the media files, and configure it to share. I have an older PC with my MP3s, it's running XP but is not a newer WMC PC.

As these reviews start coming out it's going to be harder and harder to not buy this thing at launch. :angry:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

You can share photos & music from a regular XP machine. To share video, you need a WMC PC.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Nice writeup-glad to see that someone actually wins those contests :) I definitely like the idea of being able to share content from a standard PC though-that's certainly another selling point for me. Still, I'm going to have to wait until next year sometime anyhow-no money, and no HDTV to really appreciate the 360 on.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Great writeup, keep it up Kami!

I hate you ... :p) (spoken out of jealousy, of course)

Michael Toguchi

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent writeup! It makes me long even more for th 22nd to come around. You can bet that I will be waiting for those doors to open to pick my TRU pre-sell.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Nice coverage, K.

This makes it definite that my next laptop will have Windows Media PC on it instead of XP Pro. I can't wait to pipe my 360 through my Runco FP at 720p/1080i on a 110" screen.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
What kind of a projector are you running there anyways? (DLP? LCD? 480p? 720p?). Look niiiice.

PatrickJB

Grip
Just hit up the Kiosk yesterday and played the same game for a few minutes at BestBuy for the first time. I agree, that game in motion is the best looking game I have ever seen in person. I really want the 360 bad but I think I'll wait until Morrowind comes out in March. Unless, of course, Santa sneaks one under the tree next month ;)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

Awesome. :emoji_thumbsup:

While I'm thinking of it, will the 360 then act as a central WMC hub just as if it were a PC? In other words, could I buy the WMC extender kit for the original Xbox I have in the rec room and feed off the 360 for my MP3 library as well?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Trust me, you're not the only one in this position. I'm convinced that there'll be a price drop/bundle of some sort mid 2006 that will save you a few bucks. The delay for Oblivion is also a huge factor, since I spent WAY too much time on Morrowind for the PC back in 03.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Wow.
I mean...wow.
I wasn't really getting into the 360 hype, but things like this make me wonder if I should even try heading out on that day, to some small shop, and cross my fingers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've considered whether to get a new game system, and retire my GameCube. However, at nearly $500 for the system, I'd rather save the cash for my next computer and wait for the eventual price drop.

Now, if I hadn't bought a house, I'd have easy cash for frivolities... ;)

Kami

Screenwriter
Hi guys

The Projector is only a Infocus X1 and it looks amazing when I feed it 720p. A lot better than 480p even with the X1's limited resolution.

I also tried it on my Toshiba 50h82 in the living room in 1080i and it looked great, but I prefer the big screen gaming so it's back on the PJ.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Those pics are on an X1??? Holy cow! I figured you had a 720p projector at least. At least now I know that my 4805 should be able to pull off a nice image!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well I officially cooled off on my 360 purchase (no thanks to Kami! :D ).

When DOA4 slipped off of release date charts, and with Madden missing some features that I want (replay challenge and the ability to import from NCAA 2005--that game hasn't been BC'd for the 360 and I doubt they'll do it), plus the fact that I really, really want a video iPod ;) will most likely make this a XMas/BDay (in Jan) purchase for me.

Bummer, looks like it's going to be a couple more months until next-gen hits the Medina house. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks