What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The "Spider Pit" (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm segregating this very special extra to the King Kong set, as, thanks to Peter Jackson and his crew of cinemapheliac Kongaholics, this 35 1/2 minute documentary may well be the most important "extra" to appear on home video since the concept took hold on laserdisc.

An incredible amount of time, effort and passion has gone into the creation -- not "re-creation" of what a number of learned researchers feel may well have been the missing sequence.

Using original technology, mixed with a bit of modern help, we can now have quite a good idea of what the public has been missing.

This is one of those extremely rare cases, in which a "bonus" feature is alone worth the price of admission.

Like the King Kong set with which it comes, the re-creation of the missing "Spider Pit" sequence is a dream come true for lovers of the cinema in general and King Kong in particular.

Beautifully thought out; magnificently detailed and rendered to the last detail.

You're in for a treat!

RAH

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator

Great to hear, Robert! I have to say, of the many extras on the set, this is the one I'm most excited about seeing.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Unless something totally unscheduled appears, which I doubt...

It is not too early to say that King Kong will be the classic DVD of 2005.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WoW
You mean my eight year wait for the eighth "Wonder of the World", will have be worth it?!?!?!?!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just a suggestion, but perhaps adding "from King Kong" to the thread title may steer more people to this thread as some may think you're talking about a film called "The Spider Pit".

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
King Kong fans immediately knew what the thread was referring to when the read "The Spider Pit." Lovers of the movie entitled "The Spider Pit" will not be disappointed to find Mr. Harris is actually talking about King Kong, since there is no actual movie entitled "The Spider Pit."

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking forward to see this highly. Its intresting to finally see something that has been talked about for so many years.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hope the mail works just fine next week. Got this on pre-order and am so eager to see this movie and this special extra.:D

Just one week away.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Jackson did a great job of matching the old footage with the new. One thing that hasn't gotten much publicity is that not only did he recreate the spider pit, but also the missing footage that explains why the sailors were on that log in the first place.

When I first watched it, I felt like there was too much going on and too many monsters, but he makes a convincing case for everything he did in the supporting documentary. Superb work indeed.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris, can someone finance Peter Jackson (or someone !!) to do a CGI recreation of the original Magnificent Ambersons !!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is no interest in re-creating the original Ambersons. This is something that we attempted about a decade ago.

RAH

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Everytime I am in New York, I look up at the Empire State Building and whisper a "Thank You" to King Kong and Fay Wray.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I am sure the documentary will cover this, but is the Max Steiner music underscoring the scene and the dialogue (if any) a recreation? The reason I ask is I read somewhere that the music for the scene survived.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I read that Steiner never scored the scene because it was not in the film when scoring began.

Also, what is the source for the foley effects? Did they attempt to replicate what would have been in the film originally, or did they go for some modern sub-woofer type sounds similar to those used in other classic film recreations?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks