-

Photo

A few words about... The "Spider Pit"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 06:56 AM

I'm segregating this very special extra to the King Kong set, as, thanks to Peter Jackson and his crew of cinemapheliac Kongaholics, this 35 1/2 minute documentary may well be the most important "extra" to appear on home video since the concept took hold on laserdisc.

An incredible amount of time, effort and passion has gone into the creation -- not "re-creation" of what a number of learned researchers feel may well have been the missing sequence.

Using original technology, mixed with a bit of modern help, we can now have quite a good idea of what the public has been missing.

This is one of those extremely rare cases, in which a "bonus" feature is alone worth the price of admission.

Like the King Kong set with which it comes, the re-creation of the missing "Spider Pit" sequence is a dream come true for lovers of the cinema in general and King Kong in particular.

Beautifully thought out; magnificently detailed and rendered to the last detail.

You're in for a treat!

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 41 Dave GR

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 07:35 AM

Quote:
Beautifully thought out; magnificently detailed and rendered to the last detail.

Great to hear, Robert! I have to say, of the many extras on the set, this is the one I'm most excited about seeing.

#3 of 41 DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 08:11 AM

Is it to early to say that King Kong will be the DVD of the Year???

#4 of 41 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 08:32 AM

Unless something totally unscheduled appears, which I doubt...

It is not too early to say that King Kong will be the classic DVD of 2005.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 41 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 11:06 AM

Quote:
It is not too early to say that King Kong will be the classic DVD of 2005.
WoW
You mean my eight year wait for the eighth "Wonder of the World", will have be worth it?!?!?!?!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#6 of 41 JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 11:54 AM

Quote:
You're in for a treat!

Yahoo!
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#7 of 41 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 14 2005 - 01:49 PM

Can we see a pic? Next week is not soon enough!

#8 of 41 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,242 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 14 2005 - 02:34 PM

Just a suggestion, but perhaps adding "from King Kong" to the thread title may steer more people to this thread as some may think you're talking about a film called "The Spider Pit".
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#9 of 41 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 04:41 PM

King Kong fans immediately knew what the thread was referring to when the read "The Spider Pit." Lovers of the movie entitled "The Spider Pit" will not be disappointed to find Mr. Harris is actually talking about King Kong, since there is no actual movie entitled "The Spider Pit."

#10 of 41 Jim Smith

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 04:50 PM

I am looking forward to see this highly. Its intresting to finally see something that has been talked about for so many years.

#11 of 41 Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted November 15 2005 - 02:20 AM

Hope the mail works just fine next week. Got this on pre-order and am so eager to see this movie and this special extra.Posted Image

Just one week away.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#12 of 41 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted November 15 2005 - 02:29 AM

Jackson did a great job of matching the old footage with the new. One thing that hasn't gotten much publicity is that not only did he recreate the spider pit, but also the missing footage that explains why the sailors were on that log in the first place.

When I first watched it, I felt like there was too much going on and too many monsters, but he makes a convincing case for everything he did in the supporting documentary. Superb work indeed.

#13 of 41 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,932 posts

Posted November 15 2005 - 03:28 AM

Robert Harris, can someone finance Peter Jackson (or someone !!) to do a CGI recreation of the original Magnificent Ambersons !!

#14 of 41 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,242 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 15 2005 - 03:41 AM

Quote:
Robert Harris, can someone finance Peter Jackson (or someone !!) to do a CGI recreation of the original Magnificent Ambersons !!

Why, were they in King Kong?Posted Image

#15 of 41 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts

Posted November 15 2005 - 03:43 AM

There is no interest in re-creating the original Ambersons. This is something that we attempted about a decade ago.

RAH

#16 of 41 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,242 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 15 2005 - 03:57 AM

Quote:
King Kong fans immediately knew what the thread was referring to when the read "The Spider Pit

I'm a huge King Kong fan and I didn't "immediately" know what this thread was referring to, hence my suggestion for those not intimately familiar with the "Spider Pit" sequence.

Quote:
since there is no actual movie entitled "The Spider Pit."

And everyone knows this because.......Posted Image

#17 of 41 Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted November 15 2005 - 04:45 AM

. . . because no one has ever seen a movie entitled "The Spider Pit." . . .LOL!!!

#18 of 41 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted November 15 2005 - 05:07 AM

Everytime I am in New York, I look up at the Empire State Building and whisper a "Thank You" to King Kong and Fay Wray.

#19 of 41 Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted November 15 2005 - 07:45 AM

I am sure the documentary will cover this, but is the Max Steiner music underscoring the scene and the dialogue (if any) a recreation? The reason I ask is I read somewhere that the music for the scene survived.

#20 of 41 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,400 posts

Posted November 15 2005 - 07:51 AM

I read that Steiner never scored the scene because it was not in the film when scoring began.

Also, what is the source for the foley effects? Did they attempt to replicate what would have been in the film originally, or did they go for some modern sub-woofer type sounds similar to those used in other classic film recreations?

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow