Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Receiver for under $800

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   ChuckM

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 05:52 AM

Since the death of my last receiver(RIP Onkyo)I have been looking into getting a new receiver. There is not to much as far a requirements go.
7.1 system
3 digital inputs:2 optical 2 coaxial.
5.1 Multichannel input
Auto Calibration(accurate)
Would Like:
Prologic IIx
THX Certified

Curently looking at the Onkyo TX-SR703 but it kind of seems like they took last years model TX-SR702 and added ipod accessibility and xm-radio. I also heard the auto setup on this model doesn't work well. I'm also looking into the Harmond Kardon AVR335 for which I hear good things, but the idea of 55 watts per channel seems kind of low for a high price receiver
Anyways for $800 I believe I should be able to get a decent 7.1 receiver and am open to suggestions.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
but the idea of 55 watts per channel seems kind of low for a high price receiver

Don't get too involved with "paper specs" on equipment. Buy what sounds good to you and performs best for your application.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Steve_L

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 90 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 07:54 AM

Chuck, there are a plethora of receivers that fit your budget and requirements. Denon and HK get great recommnedations. Pioneer, Yamaha and Onkyo have some receivers that are also very impressive in this price range and even lower. Panasonic has the new all digital technology XR55 that is worth a listen.

Take your time, turn a lot of dials and listen to a lot of products.

If you can do that, you'll feel better about your eventual choice.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   BillSuneson

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 05:26 AM

Chuck,

If you like the Onkyo sound then I would stick with it. I acutally just put my Onkyo TX-NR 900 up for sale and it has everything except the auto calibration that you were looking for. Let me know if you are interested it is in the Hardware For Sale/Trade forum. I would be willing to take an offer for it.

Thanks,

Bill

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 08:09 AM

Hey Chuck, Just a heasdup, but Costco in Canada is selling HK AVR335 for$600 Canadian, works out to about $500 U.S.

Seems like to good a deal if you can find it there.

Brent

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   rob-h

rob-h

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted November 16 2005 - 08:21 AM

The yamaha 5890 or even the 2500 can be had for less then that. Both do everything you want.