• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted November 12 2005 - 05:51 PM

As of late I have been reading the great works of literature and stumbled across the books of Easton Press. They are beautiful, well made books which I would love to add to my library, but they are extremely expensive. Are there any other publishers making nicely bound editions of classics that cost less? I've thought about picking up older editions, but there is really nowhere to buy them here.

jeremy

#2 of 6 Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted November 12 2005 - 05:53 PM

I have no info to share, but I sometimes just enjoy books for their beauty.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#3 of 6 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 09:41 AM

Expensive?! They'll send you Moby Dick for only $5.95!
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#4 of 6 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,753 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 08:20 PM

Try the Folio Press. You can sometimes pick up copies relatively cheaply on ebay.

#5 of 6 Dennis*G

Dennis*G

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 12:45 AM

gotta love those leather bound Easton books, but yeah, $40/book is up there. You can sometimes find them on ebay for $20-$30 though...

#6 of 6 John Watson

John Watson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted November 14 2005 - 01:03 AM

I find Easton to be a 'racket'. Their style is 'faux' class. But I second Andrew's reference to Folio Press. Often have appropriate illustrations, nice boards, etc. Tho they don't publish enough books of interest for me anymore.

The Modern Library and Everyman's Library series have some decent books.

But I'm afraid, the best advice is to go to used book stores.

The good ones have hard-covered editions, and if they came from book lovers or collectors, can be in great condition.

You'll often find a nice hardcover readable version of a classic, for less than the cost of the same book in a Penguin paperback.

The masses want cheap (and actually, modern paperbacks are often pretty expensive), and colorful. Even modern hard-cover books are generally lousy, ugly type-faces, words crammed, and on top that, with cheap cardboard backs spines, and utilitarian title stamps under the glitzy paper jacket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users