What's new

well bound books (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
As of late I have been reading the great works of literature and stumbled across the books of Easton Press. They are beautiful, well made books which I would love to add to my library, but they are extremely expensive. Are there any other publishers making nicely bound editions of classics that cost less? I've thought about picking up older editions, but there is really nowhere to buy them here.

jeremy

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
gotta love those leather bound Easton books, but yeah, $40/book is up there. You can sometimes find them on ebay for $20-$30 though...

John Watson

Screenwriter
I find Easton to be a 'racket'. Their style is 'faux' class. But I second Andrew's reference to Folio Press. Often have appropriate illustrations, nice boards, etc. Tho they don't publish enough books of interest for me anymore.

The Modern Library and Everyman's Library series have some decent books.

But I'm afraid, the best advice is to go to used book stores.

The good ones have hard-covered editions, and if they came from book lovers or collectors, can be in great condition.

You'll often find a nice hardcover readable version of a classic, for less than the cost of the same book in a Penguin paperback.

The masses want cheap (and actually, modern paperbacks are often pretty expensive), and colorful. Even modern hard-cover books are generally lousy, ugly type-faces, words crammed, and on top that, with cheap cardboard backs spines, and utilitarian title stamps under the glitzy paper jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks