Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What would cause this?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 ONLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,856 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 12 2005 - 04:56 PM

I have a DVD (BMX Bandits - don't laugh; I loved it as a kid and still like the hokeyness of it today) which plays at the correct speed and audio is normal but the video looks like every other frame is missing. Still images are ok, but anything with motion causes an effect close to a flicker (not an actual flicker but the image will advance then do it again a fraction of a second later) which gave me a splitting headache this morning. I can tell the disc was cheaply engineered, especially during the closing credits where there is a place where a visible distortion crawls up the screen like VHS tapes used to do if they had a bad wrinkle in them. This makes me think the disc was ripped directly from VHS. It is an R1 release which is supposed to be widescreen, but I'll be damned if I can figure out anything about the AR except that the image is not anamorphically enhanced. Has anyone ever ran across a video anamoly like the one I described and If so, what would cause it?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Drew Mertz

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted November 12 2005 - 05:13 PM

I don't have an answer for what caused that problem but I have seen the same sort of thing with the movie "Cujo" and "Firefox" I found the picture to be too distracting so I had to just get rid of the dvds.

#3 of 5 ONLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,856 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 13 2005 - 10:35 AM

I haven't see either of those, but I watched this disc all the way through yesterday morning about 7:00 and my head literally hurt up until I went to bed this morning at 3:30.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Daniel P

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 12:52 PM

Is it a PAL-NTSC conversion error maybe?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 01:05 PM

looks like a PAL/NTSC thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users