-

Photo
- - - - -

horizontal lens shift on the Panasonic AE900 or the Sanyo Z4?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 John Menoni

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted November 11 2005 - 08:12 AM

I have read the reviews and I think I'm definitely going with 1 of these 2 projectors. I think I would like Panasonic's film like look over the pixel problems of the Z4. Unfortunately I'm going to be using a very heavy horizontal shift. I'm sitting about 12 feet away from my 96' diagonal screen so I think the distance is good for the Sanyo. It makes about the 1.5 distance that is recommended. It also seems that the Panasonic is much easier to calibrate. The Sanyo seems to need some tweaking. From what I have read, the Sanyo has a far superior lens shift than the Panasonic. My projector will be placed slightly more than the minimum 10ft distance required for my screen. One good thing is that I need very little vertical shift. Maybe an inch or so at the most. Horizontally the projector lens will be closer to the end of the screen than the middle, about 10 inches from the end of the screen. If anyone has either of these two projectors and has experience with the horizontal shift, I would love your opinion and expertise. Posted Image

#2 of 7 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,205 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 11 2005 - 10:17 AM

You should check the calculator at AVS, but you should be close on either pj. I dont have any experience with the Z4s shift, but I hear its more than the 900s. I originally intended to table mount my 900 but its vertical shift was not nearly enough, so I wound up uilding a wall shelf and its nearly dead on now...

Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 7 John Menoni

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted November 11 2005 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Posten. How do I get this calculator? I have been on the AVS forums before but I never noticed the lens shift calculator that your talking about.

#4 of 7 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted November 12 2005 - 06:18 AM

Within these two .pdf brochures are nice graphical representations of the lens shift ranges for each...sometimes it's clearer with a picture as opposed to expressing it as a percentage. It's easy to see, for example, how shift in one axis is limited by employing shift in the other.

http://presentation-...anyo-plv-z4.pdf

http://www.3danswers....NPT-AE900U.pdf
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#5 of 7 John Menoni

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted November 12 2005 - 07:59 AM

Jack, thank you very much for posting those links. I think I might get the Panasonic and see if it can work in my room. I will inquire with whatever place I buy it to see if they will exchange it if it doesn't work out. Posten gave me a link to a good thread from avs forum and judging from what 1 owner of the Z4 had to go through, it seems that the Panasonic is the superior projector indeed. It is also smaller which makes it easier.

#6 of 7 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,205 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 12 2005 - 05:08 PM

http://www.projector....ulator-pro.htm

Was the one I meant.

Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#7 of 7 John Menoni

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 09:07 AM

Thanks again Posten. At this point I'm looking into a video processor for the Z4. After reading the feedback of most of the Z4 buyers on av forums, I am hesitant to go with the Z4. I might end up with the Panasonic and see if I can make it work.