Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire..Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
232 replies to this topic

#1 of 233 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,025 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 10 2005 - 12:18 PM

Two Great reviews are out for Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire.

Variety:
http://www.variety.c....18?nav=reviews

And The Hollywood Reporter:
http://www.hollywood...._id=1001477076

Can't wait til Friday the 19th.

The other thread was evolving into a discussion of all the Potter books and films so perhaps this one coud be the discussion thread for this film only. If the Mods want to merge this thread with the other, that's fine too.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#2 of 233 David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted November 10 2005 - 03:37 PM

Pretty spoiler heavy if you have not read the books.

#3 of 233 Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted November 11 2005 - 01:21 AM

John Williams is gone. Wow. Was not expecting that.
Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!

#4 of 233 Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted November 11 2005 - 03:28 AM

I don't think John Williams particularly looked forward to Harry Potter at the end of every year. He did his themes and let someone else run with em.

#5 of 233 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,025 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 11 2005 - 04:02 AM

Quote:
I don't think John Williams particularly looked forward to Harry Potter at the end of every year

Why's that? I haven't heard previously that Williams was unhappy doing these scores. I assumed he passed on this one since he was doing TWo Spielberg films this year.

#6 of 233 James Ryfun

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted November 11 2005 - 04:56 AM

So far the buzz on this film has been fairly positive. I've been looking forward to this film all year, so that's good news to my ears. (Or...eyes, actually.) I finally got around to reading the books this year, and Goblet of Fire was by far my favorite, so I'm really interested to see how well they've adapted it to film. I realize some sacrifices were undoubtedly made, as this was one of the longer Potter books, but hopefully the script captures the essence of the original story without dropping some of the main story's themes; a problem I had with Prizoner of Azkaban.

Anyways, really looking forward to it. Should be a fun ride.

#7 of 233 Mark E J

Mark E J

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted November 11 2005 - 10:52 AM

Quote:
but hopefully the script captures the essence of the original story without dropping some of the main story's themes;

Well, one main theme has been removed; (atleast according to reports from the test screening.) the entire "Parting of the Ways" chapter is not in the movie. Nor is pivitol line heard in the first trailer: "Dark and diffcult times lie ahead; soon we must all make the choice between what is right and what is easy."

These scenes were not in the cut shown to test audiences.

#8 of 233 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted November 11 2005 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
I assumed he passed on this one since he was doing TWo Spielberg films this year.

That's the reason I heard as well. There were way too many projects on his plate.

#9 of 233 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted November 11 2005 - 01:13 PM

The world cup cue sounds great, along with titular cue.
however, it sounds like a rip-off of POTCaribbean.

I like the trailer.

#10 of 233 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,013 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 11 2005 - 06:51 PM

Quote:
Why's that? I haven't heard previously that Williams was unhappy doing these scores. I assumed he passed on this one since he was doing TWo Spielberg films this year.
Same here. His Prisoner of Azkaban score was clearly not one composed on auto-pilot.
I've dug what I've heard from Doyle's score. Probably going to see this a week from Wednesday, when I'm back in Albany for Thanksgiving.

#11 of 233 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,025 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 11 2005 - 11:36 PM

How about this little snippet from the Variety review:

Quote:
Very slowly unspooling end credits run 13 minutes, surely somewhere near the record.

Posted Image

#12 of 233 Ben J Loews

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted November 11 2005 - 11:51 PM

I thought the effects in the first film were pretty low budget, but after it was a success, I guess Warner threw more money behind the sequel(s) as they look far more polished.

#13 of 233 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,025 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 12 2005 - 12:22 AM

Here's the link to the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, currently at 100% positive with six reviews so far.

http://www.rottentom....oblet_of_fire/

#14 of 233 Jim Smith

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted November 12 2005 - 02:48 PM

I am a bit concerned about the length. In my opinion the movie has got to be over three hours to get the books content right. I think Prisoner of Azkaban would have been so much better if it had been at least 20 minutes longer. The second movie was longer then Goblet of fire for a shorter book.

#15 of 233 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,025 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 13 2005 - 03:09 AM

It's quality, not quantity.Posted Image

#16 of 233 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,842 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 05:46 AM

I still think the Potter movies should do what the LOTR movies do. Release a theatrical cut. Then release an extended version with an extra 15-45 minutes of footage.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#17 of 233 Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 07:48 AM

The wind's already out of my sails. I was really excited about this, but hearing that it doesn't include "The Parting of the Ways", only the book's most powerful dramatic scene that reveals a far more complex Potter universe, and one that provides the entire setup for Order of the Phoenix. A disheartening decision to say the least.

I would like to be able to evaluate the film as the film, but I know I'll be missing that scene.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#18 of 233 JakeLip

JakeLip

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 08:02 AM

Okay, I'm not a professional reviewer or anything, but I *am* a HUGE Harry Potter geek, and I managed got into an advance screening of this yesterday. So I wrote up a review on my blog (which is sometimes printed in my school newspaper); I usually review arthouse films there that nobody in my school has seen, but how could I resist doing an advance review of Harry Potter?

If anybody would like to read it, my blog is at http://arthouse.diaryland.com - as it is the newest entry, the Goblet review should be on the front page for a while; if it's not there when you visit, just click on the "older entries" link and you'll find it.

It gives a general plot synopsis plus thoughts, but no more than you would find in a trailer or TV spot (and, having seen the trailers and TV spots myself, I think in this case considerably less.) I tried to be as detailed as possible while remaining SPOILER FREE so that everyone can remain surprised (though if there is a specific question anybody has, I'd be glad to answer them in a spoiler block.)

Bottom line though? - it is extremely cut down, but miracle of miracles, it works and is the BEST movie of the series so far by far. The book has been done justice.

(Oh, and John Williams bowed out of this a long time ago because he decided to score Memoirs of a Geisha instead.)

#19 of 233 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 08:58 AM

case of the temp track in world cup cue?

#20 of 233 JakeLip

JakeLip

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted November 13 2005 - 09:03 AM

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, could you elaborate a little?

There isn't really much of the World Cup at all. You see them in the stands before the match, and the teams enter with fanfare. Fudge then welcomes everyone to the game, says "Let the match begin!", and then it cuts to after the match has concluded in the tent, when the Death Eaters begin to make their presence known. So, we do NOT actulally see the Quidditch match itself.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow