-

Photo

Has DVDFile.com been Hi-Jacked?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 11:35 AM

...or have I? DVDFile is normally among the sites that fire up as I launch Firefox, but tonight that tab is taking me somewhere decidely different. Not that I'm opposed to this sort of thing, it's just that I prefer to dial in smut at my own leisure. By the way, Internet Explorer was also unable to locate DVDFile, and took me to the same salacious site. My anti-virus software is up to date, and SpyBot and Ad-Aware were run as recently as two days ago. Anyone else having a problem? Cheers.

DS.

"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"

-The former Gov. Ventura

See It...In StrotoVision!!

#2 of 14 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted November 09 2005 - 11:45 AM

The site may have been hacked. there is now a page with the message "Temporarly Down sorry about that."

#3 of 14 Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for responding, Joe. I'm now getting the same message. Guess it wasn't me, then. Cheers.

DS.

"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"

-The former Gov. Ventura

See It...In StrotoVision!!

#4 of 14 Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 03:20 PM

I believe they're updating the site.

Frankly, DVDFile.com has sort of lost its purpose since Peter left. Actually one might even argue that it jumped when Cliff S. quit doing reviews.

My favorite bits of DVDFile.com were the cutting sarcasm toward the studios and whomever DVDFile thought wasn't intellectually up to par.

Brian G.

#5 of 14 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 03:44 PM

The secret to reading DVDFile reviews:

1) Click on the review you wish to read
2) Check the reviewer's name
3) If the name is "Mike Resitano", immediately close your browser and pretend the last 30 seconds never happened.

Posted Image

#6 of 14 Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 07:53 PM

I absolutely loved their in-depth look at the making of certain DVDs. As part of the new initiative, they've dropped the old material.

#7 of 14 Bernhard

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted November 10 2005 - 03:27 AM

I really miss Pete Bracke's reviews.. his humour was right down my alley and I usually agreed with his opinion on films. Posted Image
My current DVD Collection

Mace Windu: "Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese on Coruscant?"

#8 of 14 Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted November 10 2005 - 03:42 AM

Yeah, that site was once part of my regular morning rotation. Peter actually contacted me when I posted here once that I was having trouble logging onto his site. That impressed me.

I haven't been to their site in quite some time.

What is Peter up to these days?

#9 of 14 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted November 10 2005 - 04:05 AM

It's not as comprehensive as it once was, but I've appreciated Dan Ramer's articles keeping on top of the Blu-ray/HD DVD issues (no HD resolution over analog, copy protection, etc.)

#10 of 14 FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,109 posts

Posted November 10 2005 - 04:16 AM

I have also enjoyed Dan Ramer's columns about hi-def. He is
asking the questions that need to be asked and nobody is asking. I thought his analysis of the studios' supposed losses to piracy was absolutely on target. I hope he keeps up the good work.

#11 of 14 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted November 10 2005 - 04:29 AM

Dvd file? Geez, that kind of rings a bell somewhere in the back of my head. Along with Ken Crane's and other dvd related sites that used to be good, and faded away into meaninglessness a long time ago. The big problem with DVD file was that when it underwent changes, they didn't tell anybody for the longest time, and just left people hanging. Very unprofessional transition to whatever kind of site they are now. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#12 of 14 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted November 10 2005 - 05:26 AM

I used to be part of the forum staff (actually, I think I still am) but I haven't been to the site in months. Just nothing to see there. Move along.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#13 of 14 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 10 2005 - 01:14 PM

I stopped going to that site months ago myself. Now its just the Bits, and DVD Talk for me. And of course the HTF.

#14 of 14 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,205 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 10 2005 - 01:51 PM

There are DVD sites other than the HTF?! Posted Image

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon