What's new

Women, SUV's, and Cell Phones. (1 Viewer)

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Ok This is getting just out of control. in the last 3 days I have either been almost side swiped,cut off, or nearly slammed into by a woman driving an SUV while talking on her cell phone. Or they are in the High speed lane going about 6 miles na hour or when they are getting on the Hiway they are going about as fast as a glacier ( not good). Every time I see an SUV doing something stupid I hate to say it but its always a woman and she is TALKING ON HER CELL. :angry: :angry:

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Mark, I commute an hour each way every day, and have done so for the past 6 years.

I think that is enough time for me to menatally create some statistics and I couldn't agree with you more!

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
This is a subject I have brought up on other boards and with friends. I don't like to make blanket statements but the women around here do the same shit. I can't say with a straight face that it is just the women that are driving bad. A lot of time I'm being tailgated in the fastlane on the hw going about 70-75mph. Usually it's some 30+ yr old guy in his GMC or the like. I'm not on the Autobaun.

Over here, it's [rant]EVERYONE[/rant]!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Around here the guys with cell phones drive too fast, the girls drive slower. Usually. Sometimes I see the opposite. Either way, it is really friggin' annoying.

I've been using the horn on my car more frequently than usual - people are just driving bad in general. With the doubling of traffic in the last two years plus the horrid road construction here it isn't such a surprise - such conditions really put a spotlight on the less-talented drivers.

I hate it when some old person STOPS in the merge lane onto a highway with a 100km/hr speed limit.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My road rage has quadrupled in the past 6 months!!! :angry: It defintiely is the amount of traffic that is making the 'bad' drivers even worse.

Example: Last week (at night) I saw this guy FYLING down a two lane parkway. He pulled into the gas station (that was on the highway) and back onto the parkway so he could pass a bunch of cars. I can not tell you how ENRAGED I was!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: My best friends brother was in an accident an died when his car crashed into the pumps on one of those highway gas stations, so needless to say, I was ready to do something major!

I flashed my lights and beeped my horn when he cut me off.

So then, the a-hole slams on his breaks and I had to as well :angry: The two cars behind me almost crashed :angry:

He then took off, so I couldn't get his license plate and I was not going to speed up to him. :angry: I saw him do about 150mph, swerving through traffic....

Now here's the even SCARIER part. When he slammed on the brakes, for a BRIEF second, there was a part of me that ALMOST gunned it in the hopes that I'd knock him off the road and flip his car over. I would have LOVED to stand over his dead body and laugh, but then reality kicked in and I didn't ;)

But the breif thought really freaked me out and it's because of these assholes that are making me become more violent on the roads. :frowning:

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Mine has also quadrupled in the last month I dont know what it is. Maybe people are driving slower to save money on gas or they are preocupied with something else. what ever it is I hate. if you want to save gas thats fine do it in the right lane. dont be the one who dictates how fast everyone else goes, thats what the police are for. If i want to do 80 in the fast lane Fine let me do it, Ill get the tickets Ill pay the fines Just either speed up or get the FUCK out of my way.

I was driving home last night. there was this SUV in front of me doing about 60 and there was noone in front of her. Why she didnt get out of the way is beyond me.

Road rage is caused by slower drivers not the people who are driving fast. If cops want to stop road rage pull over the A-HOLES who are Impeeding other peoples progress. They do it in other Countries ( germany ) why not here.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

Exactly....;)
My wife drives a small SUV (explorer) but she grew up driving in Miami. Definetly not you typical soccer mom suv driver...:D

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

For some reason people in Calgary have a talent for stopping in merging lanes. Every time I visit Calgary I almost kill someone stopped in a merging lane. :angry:

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
My favorite is when you can finally get them to move outta the left lane, you pass them and then they move back over and do the same speed as they were going. It's like why do you need to be in that lane?

They don't even know. The just sit there and look at you with their mouth open.
I find alot of these people are driving Subaru's or Saturns.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
After 6 glorious years of working hours that didn't require me to drive in rush hour, I am now unfortunately stuck driving at 7:30 am and 4:30 pm.

There are so many SUV's on the road nowadays, and it's impossible to see around them. So I made the problem worse by upgrading from a Camry to a Highlander LTD. :D

Anyway, I travel a road that merges from 2 lanes to 1, and sometimes it backs up beyond the merge point. Of course one day, I see a guy bail out of the left lane to try and get in farther up the line. I guess he wasn't planning on me block the lane. It was very satisfying to see him get left farther behind than where he was because no one else would let him in.

I hate to drive like that, but I'm sorry, I can't just watch stuff like that happen. I mean, if you were #8 in a line of 10 people at a store, and you tried to sneak in between people ahead of you, you'd be called on it, and possibly beaten! It just makes me a little nuts sometimes that people do rude and stupid things in their car that they wouldn't dare do if they were standing next to you.

These days when I do drive the interstate, I do my usual 75 in the middle lane, because people are doing 80-85 as a rule now (in a 55).

I only wish I didn't drive a brand new car, because if I drove a beater, there would be a LOT of sorry people around my area! :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

In Alberta it's mostly SUVs (including Ford Exploders, Suburbans, and various beater trucks) and smaller cars like Corollas and VWs that do this. I don't think the winters here are kind to Saturns and Subarus. :)

Hearing your stories gets my blood up. Ugh - I'm turning into a monster! *grrrrr* *aarrrgghh*

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Im so glad that my commute is at 10 am to work and 8pm home. I hit No Traffic but I still have to deal with the FUV'S :)

Oh I also love the people that have to hit on the brakes thye moment they see flashing light even if they are on the Other side of the Hiway. yellow Blue red it doesnt matter SLAM on the brakes instead of taking thier foot of the gas.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one that doesn't let this little stuff bother me?

I just don't get people who get "road rage". There are worse things to worry about.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oooo! Here's another one....

When you are in traffic that is kind of stop and go...The traffic is at a stop and when it starts to move, the idiot (in front of you) GUNS it and then has to SLAM on the brakes because he gets too close to the car in front of him.

THEN, because he had to slam on the brakes, the car in front of him moved up about another 100 feet, so he GUNS the car again to make up for the loss from slamming on the brakes...

And the cycle start all over again :rolleyes You are either a VERY cool, calm, and collected individual or you don't have to commute in traffic every day ;)

When you've had a TON of close calls (because of the other idiots on the road), "Road Rage" is something that's hard to "let slide".

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
People taking it upon them selves to drive as slow as humanly possible screwing up my progress when all it takes is a simple look in the rearview mirror and a turn of the wheel to get out of my way. if you want to drive like an old man or have a conversation with aunt mable about her recipe for apple pie do it some place else other than the high speed lane. Thats what the hiway is for DRIVING not making lunch dates not putting on make up and not driving half the speed of smell to save an extra 3 cents a friggen mile. Just DRIVE YOUR CAR.

Dude live in Boston for six months then get back to me.

we have three lanes for a reason. As I put it Fast, faster, and Fastest.

I drive a sports car. I bought it for a reason, I like to do 80.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Np. I've done it in St Louis, Dallas, Houston, Chicago and LA w/o an issue. It more has to do with your demeanor and how you approach life in general than anything else. Yes Boston is tough to drive in but it's not worse or better than LA, Dallas, Chicago or Houston. All 4 of those places have the same type of driving conditions and the same level of "road rage". We live in a hustle bustle world where we're always wanting things NOW. When we don't get it, we get that kind of rage.

Do I speed and drive aggressively? Sure but with the flow of traffic and even then why let some lady ruin your day and get you all pissed off? You drive ALOT worse when you are pissed off. Never drive pissed off.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Shane, I used to be more pissed off with the everyday morons on the road, but I have learned to let a LOT slide. My biggest gripe is with the BIG morons! (and there seem to be MORE AND MORE these days)

Like the guy who used the highway gas station to pass everyone out :angry: - I wished speedy death to him at ANY cost!!!!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Sadly I have yet to achieve the zen state that Shane has reached.

Why don't you guys have more laws against driving while using a mobile? We do, i.e. you cannot use a mobile while driving unless it's connected to a hands-free kit, and if you get caught there's a fine and forfeiture of the phone.

Ironic that you guys should mention cops and speeding tickets: on Tuesday on the way home I was on a road where I'd previously been ticketed (going 90+ km on a then 50km limit; today the limit is 60) -- of course, once bitten twice shy and I passed the spot where the police sit with their radar guns at a very legal 60 and was waved through the road block around the curve (obviously they hide the roadblock so speedsters can't see it from afar and slow down). In today's papers, I read that maybe just half an hour after I'd gone through, a lorry had sped through that roadblock, killing a volunteer policeman.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how that moron of a driver could have done something like that: yes the road block is around a bend, and downhill as well, but the roadblock is pretty far from the apex of the curve and you can see it in good time, unless of course he wasn't paying attention or was drunk (no mention of it in the report). Or deliberately tried to run the block, which in this tiny clogged-up country is a real stupid thing to do since the cops will corner you somewhere, somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread