-

Photo
- - - - -

pio 54tx distortion in right surround

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   allan espinoza

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 01:54 AM

Well, I didn't realize I had my receiver on yesterday when I unplugged the speaker wires out of my right surround channel when the + and - wires had touched and my receiver immediately turned off. I figured it was normal for it to turn itself off, but now the sound distorts whenever there is a high pitch sound, such as thunder or crowd noise, in the right surround channel. What happened? Did I blow that channel or something? It even distorts when I run the receiver's test tones in the right surround channel.The speaker is fine since I tried different speakers in that channel and all speakers distorted at certain pitches in that channel. Am I looking at a high cost to get this fixed? I don't have any warranty and the receipt is nowhere to be found. Any ideas?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 06:28 AM

Sounds like you damaged the output stage.

Probably a pretty good penny to fix it. Between $100 and $200 through Pioneer I would suspect. Not counting shipping charges.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   allan espinoza

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted November 09 2005 - 10:01 AM

would this be something that an authorized service center could fix?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted November 10 2005 - 02:21 AM

Yes, I would say so. Is it very pronounced? Like there is no way they would say "No problem found" is there?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   allan espinoza

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted November 10 2005 - 11:36 AM

well if you just run receiver's test tones and compare the surround channels you could clearly hear the distortion. Some mpvies you wont hear it in, but others are very distracting and its not the movie.