What's new

Need Advice for Buying 2-Year Old XBR (1 Viewer)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I would appreciate some help. I have the opportunity of buying a 2-year old 36" XBR from a friend. It's mint and hardly used. I will have to pay for shipping from NJ to TX. I need to make an offer but have no idea what would be reasonable. Sorry, not sure of the exact model at this point.
Also (although not for this area), I could make an offer for a Sony 7000 DVD player. Yes, I know it's old now and there are newer and probably better units out there now but this is also hardly used and would serve as a secondary player in my house. Offer price needed for this too.
Any help you can give would be appreciated.
Neil
PS - The TV is a flat screen, silver-colored model if that helps.
[Edited last by Neil White on July 16, 2001 at 12:45 AM]
[Edited last by Neil White on July 16, 2001 at 12:46 AM]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Neil, not to be flip, but my advice re buying a used TV is don't. You say the set--which is probably a KV-36XBR300 (or XBR250)--is "mint." But what were the picture settings? Did your friend run the thing with the contrast cranked to the max? Also, did he clean the set regularly?
Given that it's two years old and that televisions are not like cars, there's remarkably little value here. I wouldn't offer more than $300 or so. (And if he ran it with the contrast cranked to the max, the set may be permanently damaged. If so, take it only for free.)
As for the DVP-S7000D: If the thing has been subject only to tender loving care and has been kept dust-free, offer around $200 or so. DVD players have moving parts, meaning wear and tear--and little lasting value. (Given how well new yet inexpensive players perform, pony up for one of them. You can get $300-$400 players that rival and surpass those first-generation high-end players in picture performance.)
The only kinds of electronic components that maintain their value are certain types of high-end audio components--especially rare gear from Marantz, McIntosh, and Audio Research. Used TVs are not a collector's commodity.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks