What's new

Found a Game Cube kiosk (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
On Friday at a Toys R Us in Manhattan. First, I was surprised at how small and compact the console itself was. The controller design was pretty good, the button layout was pretty intuitive, I preferred it to the bulky X-Box controller.
They had 3 games playable, Luigi's Mansion, Waverace, and Rogue Leader. Waverace played just like the N64 version. It had some nice graphical effects, like water splahing into the camera lens. I played the first level of RL on the Death Star, and it was pretty impressive, although I thought it was kinda difficult to spot the TIEs against the DS backround (I guess that's what the targetting computer is for).
With all the posts about people seeing XBox kisoks, I'm surprised nobody's seen any GC kiosks. Anyone else seen them?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I am definitely in the minority in not being impressed with Rogue Leader. I guess I was hoping for something less 'arcade' like and more 'sim' like (Tie Fighter, anyone)?
The physics are bunk, there is little sense of continuity between the sub-mission/cutscene/sub-mission (just fading out? Come on!), the airspace is very restricted, and basically the whole thing is just the N64 stuff with prettier graphics.
It's funny how the fanboys bash graphically enhanced XBox ports as not worth playing, but are the first in line for an N64 remake with no gameplay innovation.
This will be the first title I rent for some weekend eye candy.
Anyhow, I thought the controller was pretty good, and Waverace is OK (but again, mostly just a prettier version of the old game). I think Super Monkey Ball will be the first game I will buy.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Im really getting down on the GC as of late. Even a week ago I would have jumped all over the chance to get one but the early reviews are a letdown. I want RLII in the worst way - based on it's graphics but I think I may have to rent the sytem and the game before plopping $200+ down on it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you plop down $200+ for it now, its an investment. You have a GCN for when the good games come out rather than buying it later.
I find Rogue Leader to be more graphically impressive than almost all of the XB games. DoA3 looks good, but it plays exactly the same as DoA2:H, so whats the point in buying it? Munch is not that great, Project Gotham has great graphics, but nobody will notice stuff like the the detail in the tires, plus the backgrounds don't look as good as in Gran Turismo 3. Halo looks like it will be fun, but I'm all FPS-ed out. After a few on each console since the PlayStation, I don't think they can really add that much to it. Even if Halo does, its not worth $350.
Rogue Leader has great graphics and similar gameplay to Rogue Squadron. Thats why fans of it (like me) want it so much.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Im going to get a Game Cube just because it's cheap. I love video games, why descriminate? Seriously, who of use can't afford all of them? And if you can't, well... I don't know, that sucks. I will wait til the Xbox price drop unless Halo is THAT good right away.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
If you plop down $200+ for it now, its an investment.
laugh.gif

Yeah, I am sure that it is only going to go up in value from here.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I thought the Gamecube launch titles were less impressive gameplay wise but graphically they are much better than X-Box. Check out the new Resident Evil at Link Removed

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The X-Box games seem to be spinoffs, series, or original games that amount to little. Besides Halo and DoA3, nothing really looks like what I expected as an X-Box game. Plus, DoA3 plays just like DoA2:H, so its more of an upgrade. The only thing XB has over GCN at launch is Halo, but I would probably prefer Super Smash Brothers Melee over Halo.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I don't think either system has something over the other at launch. All the launch titles to me seem very rushed.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I guess I was hoping for something less 'arcade' like and more 'sim' like (Tie Fighter, anyone)?
Did you ever play the original Rogue Sqaudron for the N64, Michael? That game most definitely followed in the footsteps of the arcade-style tradition. I don't think anyone, including Factor 5, Lucasarts, or Nintendo, ever pretended that the game would be anything else. I'm actually somewhat surprised that some people hope for/expect simulation like controls from this series.
Oh well.
------------------
-J.Fo
"I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I guess I was hoping for something less 'arcade' like and more 'sim' like (Tie Fighter, anyone)?
The physics are bunk..., and basically the whole thing is just the N64 stuff with prettier graphics.
Woohoo!!! :)
That's exactly what I want!
The last thing I wanted from RL, was for it to become a sim-like game. The arcade stylings of Rogue Squadron is perfect; I'm glad they've continued that in Rogue Leader.

James D S

Screenwriter
I am definitely in the minority in not being impressed with Rogue Leader.
I just about agree with you. I was expecting to be floored with the experience, but after playing the Death Star level, I know that after a short time it will not hold up to repeated playing for me. Just not as exciting as the pictures lead me to believe.
While the graphics are impressive a lot of the time, this game has the same limitations that pushed me away from the N64 version. (Borishly slow gameplay!!! bounds-limited flying, difficulty seeing enemies, and repetative gameplay) There's no sense of simulation with this one - which makes it feel more arcade to me - but that's fine. It was not meant to be a sim.
I think Star Wars fans will enjoy this eye candy fest more than flight fans.
If you liked the game on N64, you'll get a kick out of this one. Otherwise, it doesn't offer significant gameplay updates or upgrades to maintain any longterm playability, IMO.
(On a side note, does anyone really think that the rumble feature adds much to games like this? When my ships blows up, the experience is not heightened all of a sudden just because a beeper goes off in my hand.
icon13.gif
I think the feature impacts the game better as it was applied in Ocarina of Time, etc.)
I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion more. That was a surprise to me. Perfect control and playability. Great game for casual gamers. A bit on the easy side for the more polished and critical.
[Edited last by James D S on November 07, 2001 at 12:33 AM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I know how the N64 game plays, I was just dumb enough to expect with all the increase in power that SOMETHING other than graphics would be different.
There are plenty of 'arcade' games with some kind of physics model, even if they aren't sim-realistic.
To me, the game blows. Wrapping yesteryears game in new graphics doesn't cut it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
How could they change the gameplay though? They added some features, improved it in every way possible, so what else is there? Dead or Alive 3 is more of an upgrade to DoA2:H than RL is to Rogue Squadron, but nobody complains about that besides me.
If you liked RS, then you should like RL. Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread