Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The criss-cross challenge: films with interwoven plot threads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Meg Hamel

Meg Hamel

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 06:08 AM

Who's up for a challenge? I'm building a list of films that fit a particular criteria: interwoven characters and plot lines. Variety calls them "criss-crossers." They are different from ensemble films (like The Big Chill): criss-crossers have separate narratives that overlap in often incidental ways. Some examples, like Love Actually are pretty easy to identify. Others are little trickier to classify, as there may be a storyline that ends up taking priority because the acting is particularly strong , etc. Examples include: 13 Conversations About One Thing Love Actually Happenstance 11:14 Mind The Gap Km.0 Goldfish Memory Love Is Butterfly Horem Padem Corazones Rotos Bug Nine Lives The Lawless Heart Magnolia En la Ciudad I'd love to get your suggestions for other titles, everything from current releases to obscure foreign-language pictures. Availability on DVD (or VHS) is a HUGE plus, with English subtitles required. Overall critical quality is slightly less important. You're allowed to ask your friends for their suggestions, too. Ideas?

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Dillon*G

Dillon*G

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 08:52 AM

Sin City, Traffic, and Crash are three that come to mind.

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:01 AM

I'm sure there's a number of them I've seen, but the one that comes to my mind at the moment is American Graffiti.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:04 AM

Welcome to HTF, Meg! Interesting topic, although I'm sure there are a gazillion of these movies out there. Pulp Fiction would qualify, wouldn't it? Certainly Robert Altman's Nashville would, maybe some of his other movies as well. A current non-US director who's used this kind of structure several times is Wong Kar-Wai. Three of his movies are of that style, to varying degrees: Days of Being Wild, Chungking Express, and Fallen Angels. His most recent film, 2046, is sort of in that category as well, although there's one main character pretty much throughout the whole thing.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:04 AM

Almost every Robert Altman film, like Nashville, The Player and M*A*S*H.

As would Pulp Fiction, wouldn't everyone agree?

EDIT: Way to go, Haggai...thunder-stealer. Posted Image
"Film is not created in a vacuum. Rather, it results from a combination of forces and personalities, coupled with limitations of time, budget, and technology, which all converge in a way that is unique to a moment in time."--Robert Wise

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:08 AM

Lucas Belvaux Trilogy: On The Run An Amazing Couple After the Life (so interwoven that the films can be watched in any order. There is an R2 UK box set with English subs) All available in R1 The Phantom of Liberty The Dekalog Chungking Express Crimes & Misdemeanors Wonderland (dir. Michael Winterbottom)
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:10 AM

Hey, great minds think alike. Posted Image

I don't think The Player is quite in this category, from what I remember of it. The main character does interact with a bunch of different people, but the story mostly follows him. MASH is an ensemble piece, but again you're pretty much with the main guys all the way through. Nashville is a clear-cut case of completely different story-lines, developed independently of each other, and then intersecting later on.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:26 AM

I was gonna say... Jackie Brown.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Meg Hamel

Meg Hamel

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:31 AM

Yep yep yep -- all good suggestions. You guys have the hang of it! Keep the ideas flowing, especially lesser-known films. Brook, Wonderland is a great suggestion. A terrific picture that I had forgotten about.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,516 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 09:56 AM

Can't believe that no one has mentioned one of my favorite "criss-crossers": Go!

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 12:08 PM

Don McKellar's Last Night.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 12:10 PM

Exotica by Atom Egoyan might or might not fulfill the criteria... the connections between the different stories are perhaps stronger than you have in mind - they're not "incidental". But check it out in case it fits.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 12:41 PM

HUGE fan of that type of film. Lotsa suggestions here:

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=128824

I've has Short Cuts for a few months now, but just can't seem to finish it (I am more than an hour into it). It's just not working for me it seems Posted Image. I've got to set some time aside for it, heard too many good things about it.

--
H

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 01:28 PM

Before the Rain would qualify, but as yet there is no DVD. Posted Image

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted November 03 2005 - 03:53 PM

Time Code is a pretty good example of this as the screen is divided up into 4 sections with stories happening in all 4 and characters moving between screens. The sound mix is what typically sets your focus on one of the screens. I quite enjoyed it as an experiment, even though the individual stories aren't as intriguing.

Amores Perros also fits the "genre", but the stories aren't really interwoven in the film. They all tie back to a common event though.

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 02:41 AM

EDIT: Never mind. Magnolia was already mentioned in the beginning.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 02:45 AM

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 02:46 AM

Tampopo - I love this movie, though the stories don't necessarily "intersect" per se. Would Rashomon count? Do the Right Thing

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,586 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 06:28 AM

21 Grams
Storytelling

Also, in a rather unusual way, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I didn't think it fit at first, but it really does.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,586 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 06:33 AM

Maybe I'm pushing it now, but...

Barton Fink
Amelie
A Very Long Engagement
Citizen Kane

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.