What's new

New sub technology from Eminent... 1Hz?? (1 Viewer)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I did a few searches, and didn't see anything posted about this yet. It looks like Eminent has taken a different approach to reproducing the really low end (1Hz - 30Hz) with a rotary woofer. Of course, it's a little pricey at about $13,000, and requires an IB setup, but if you really want that last bit of elusive bass..... ;)

http://www.eminent-tech.com/RWbrochure.htm

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I sat in a demo for this product at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver in late September. It has to be heard (or felt) to be believed.

I'm unsure how practical it is, though. In the demo, which was in a hotel suite, the sub was in another room in the suite, the walls of which were covered with some type of sound absorbing material. From the room we were in, it was plenty loud. I just couldn't help wondering if a they could make a viable consumer product out of it. I won't be looking to replace my SVS any time soon.

In my experience at the demo, the tones the demonstrator (who was one of the inventors) played below 16Hz were inaudible, and it sounded (as it should, I suppose) like a helicopter...with pulses of air shaking the walls. The door to the room shook and visible moved, as much as a half inch. One thing's for sure, at 4Hz, I wouldn't be able to stand too much of it. You could feel the pressure in the room. It was pretty amazing.

Anyone out there got one of these things?

Jacob C

Second Unit
I saw it on slashdot today and thought it was a joke untill I looked into it more.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The designer of the rotary vane transducer, Bruce Thigpen, did not make this to replace anything that SVS makes. This is an add-on to a very high end system that already has highly powerful subwoofers. It will cover the 5-12 Hz region where most subs are mere ghosts.

The problem with this initial offering is that Bruce has limited the output to 110 db. He can bring to market a more powerfull model that is designed for 120 db.

Since these are virtually handmade, and Bruce is trying to recover his development costs, the price is rather steep.

There is nothing that I am aware of that can compete with this product.

Please remember, the high end on this is 30Hz. This is not a subwoofer. But for the well heeled who are willing to make the necessary in-basement type installation and probably reinforce parts of the listening room, this thing is an absolute monster.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely ridiculous! Who needs this? C'mon, my puny 25-31PCi shakes the windows in my den. That kind of air pressure would surely pop the screws in my drywall.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
John_Ro

If you look at the "waterfall charts" thread you will see subsonic content on any number of DVDs.

Your 25-31PCi are tuned to 25 Hz. While that will cover the great majority of low bass. The Model 17 is for another audience entirely. For example, those who have dual PB-12 Ultras might consider adding the Model 17 to cover the 5-16 Hz range where the SVS is pretty much a ghost.

There are people who have the money and other resources to add such a product. The market for this product is small and rich.

MikeNg

Second Unit
There's lots of talk about this unit, but I don't think anyone's actually listened to this with any sort of media; only sine waves. This is purely conceptual at this point, is it not?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Wow! You can talk about the superfan that shakes your HT at 1Hz, but then you see the picture and its almost tiny. It looks like a $20 Wal*Mart fan with a big motor. Absolutley amazing.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Except it is engineered similar to that of a state-of-the-art helicopter. I can understand why this costs over $12,000.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Scott, I skimmed the first page of that thread but am having issues getting to the second page. Was there a particular post you wanted me to read?

Was there reference to its performance with media?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Wasn't making a point about the media. Every site that has someone mentioning this was there for the demo. I guess then they didn't do much other than sine waves. It was just a good read and any new info will pop up there.

Just a heads up. The ceiling will crumble with one of these! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Walmart fans can't change the pitch of their blades. (It rotates at a constant speed--pitch changes are used to create sound waves). Do note that a 1Hz sound is "inaudible" below ~120 dB. This model is limited to 110 db, so it really begins at 3Hz...

MikeNg

Second Unit
OK. Got it. It was interesting to read, yes. It sure would be cool to see this sort of thing demo'd with real stuff. I'm sure that's coming around the bend.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Why is it that people feel just because there are 6hz tones on some dvds that you have reproduce them? As if the movie will lose some of it's intended meaning if those helicopter blades were not felt.....

Just when you're setup to do 18hz nicely, sound designers will throw in some 10hz. Then we'll upgrade to do 10hz and they'll start recording effects at 5hz.

I wonder if those super low tones at reference SPLs will do structural damage to the house? Doesn't it do some damage or at least disrupt in some way the body? I thought it was dangerous to the heart. or I could be way off base...

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds scary:D I bet it makes you uneasy listening to it. I'm nervous enough!:D I'll stick with my SVS.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
That could be a sneaky way for horror movies to put you in that "something ain't right" mode. Throw in a low 5Hz note to build up that uneasy feeling, and while you can't hear anything, your body sure knows something's going on.

Jim*T

Auditioning
Ryan Tsang
Hi everybody. Had been a HTF member since 1998 ,but been away for some time. Had to re register. I don't think there's a conspiracy to create content in movies/DVDs at ever lower freqs just so that you and I have to upgrade. :)
The audio material has always been there.Ultimate home theater goals are to recreate real life or what the director wanted. HT enthusiast go to great lengths in other areas ,why not the lower eschelon of soundwaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks